Brexit Phase Two - Trade

.....so much for Vikings being adventurous.....:-D
The vikings ( or at least the adventurous ones left , often for Penrith or Yorkshire it seems.)
As a teenager I dad used to recruit Swedish girl students to be horse trekking leaders for our summer season ( about 6 a year) until I went there I thought all swedes must be similar, ( good looking, outgoing and allways up for a laugh or a bit of an adventure). Nope they were the ones with a bit about them that left for Blighty for the summer. The stay at homes I found out were generally cut from a much duller cloth.
The Danes were much more like the Herman’s but with a sense of humour I found.

That is Germany's problem not ours. However, we will have one big advantage over Germany in the future. We will shortly have control over our own borders again, and can control who comes into the UK.

Germany, having signed up to Schlengen, will continue to be a magnet for economic migrants who can make it past the EU's border controls. As such, I suspect the flow of economic migrants into Germany will continue, as will the pressure on the welfare budget and the political problems from having a large minority with very different traditions and behaviour to ethnic Germans.

Wordsmith
It's Schengen and control our borders? Are you working on the basis that if you repeat something often enough it has to be true?

Transport secretary says no border checks at Dover after Brexit

I didn't - I answered some bone survey of Facebook and then it appears that Cambridge Analytica did it for me. I couldn't even read the side of the bus because I'm too ill-edjumacated, you see.
They're a bit shy about it now mind...

EU membership sat on a wall,
EU membership had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put membership together again.

Wordsmith
I knew you'd find your level.

I had positive reasons for voting to leave the EU. I firmly believe a lower tax, more lightly regulated UK will increase its share of wold trade. Lower tax, more lightly regulated business tend to make more profit, create more jobs and broaden the tax base for the government, making public services more affordable. In short, I believe Brexit will deliver a more prosperous, more contented UK.

The negative reason for leaving the EU (less important than the positive one) was the lack of democratic accountability in the EU and the future implosion of the euro when the next recession comes along.

Brexit was an issue I'd devoted a lot of thought to before the referendum, I felt strongly enough to go out and campaign on the doorstep during the referendum and I was very happy with the result of the referendum.

Wordsmith
Once again and for the nth time. We're one of the lightest regulated economies in the developed world. Do you want us to be competing with developing nations? Do you agree that if it's good enough for India it's good enough for us?

Best ask some of my Swedish friends in the UK why they prefer to live in the UK rather than Sweden.

Your mileage may vary....

Wordsmith
If I started talking about Mars I'm sure you'd bring out your Martian friends.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The thing is, as far as I can tell, nobody is asking you to "go back" on your vote. If there is no answer to the question "what are we transitioning to", then we might as well be honest and say that. Answering a question that wasn't asked doesn't really move anything on.
So, in other words there is absolutely nothing that the EU can offer us so the quicker we are out the better. Fair enough, I agree with you ;)

Shame that the author didn't ask for advice from someone who knew what they were talking about ...

TIR Convention - Wikipedia
Really interesting, thank you. I now know what the ‘TIR’ stamped on so many ISO containers that I have seen in so many far flung army camps across the world means!

This will, no doubt, be a bone question, but since the ROI/NI border is a road border, cannot much cross border Customs stuff be done by dint of TIR carnets, or why could a similar ‘intra-Ireland’ carnet be created?

So....in what way will it be different, having taken back control?
I have no interest in subscribing to that ridiculous strapline, but it is worth noting that the origins of TIR run back to the late 1940s.

It was an arrangement to smooth over the speed bumps at border crossings. Which is what the scaremongering folks are saying cannot be done once we leave the EU...

Not so much control as plain old common sense.

Really interesting, thank you. I now know what the ‘TIR’ stamped on so many ISO containers that I have seen in so many far flung army camps across the world means!

This will, no doubt, be a bone question, but since the ROI/NI border is a road border, cannot much cross border Customs stuff be done by dint of TIR carnets, or why could a similar ‘intra-Ireland’ carnet be created?
Yes. Either option entirely do-able.

Yes. Either option entirely do-able.
Then why is nobody talking about this or is it all part of the political game?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Then why is nobody talking about this or is it all part of the political game?
I am!

And have been doing so for a while. Unfortunately only on here...

I can only assume therefore that the omission is part of the game. Astonishing really as both the EU and the UK are already signatories, and the system already accounts for a significant portion of the supply chain that everyone claims will be irrevocably demolished once we leave.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453