Brexit Phase Two - Trade

So when I rock up at Folkestone and Calais next month, I can tell the assorted people demanding to see my papers and passports to go away as there is free access into and out of the UK?
EU membership sat on a wall,
EU membership had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put membership together again.

Wordsmith
Transition means we're out of the EU but paying to behave as if we are still in, only more subordinate to the EU than we are now as we lose our vote on everything. That will be the status quo until something else comes along.

Given nothing else is planned, that's the Brexit in name only people refer to. That's what we are heading for. Is that really what people voted for ?

Go on, prove me wrong, with actual facts and stuff not knee jerk denial. What are we transitioning to?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Transition means we're out of the EU but paying to behave as if we are still in, only more subordinate to the EU than we are now as we lose our vote on everything. That will be the status quo until something else comes along.

Given nothing else is planned, that's the Brexit in name only people refer to. That's what we are heading for. Is that really what people voted for ?

Go on, prove me wrong, with actual facts and stuff not knee jerk denial. What are we transitioning to?
Looks like we are transitioning to a country full of whining snowflakes who seem to think the EU will look after them!

God knows how this country ever had an empire!

At the beginning of 2021, freedom from the the bulk of EU law and other requirements, although we'll still need to meet EU regulations to trade into the single market.

The transition period is just that - a de facto extension of the 2 year notification period required for a country to leave the EU. That process has proven too complex to be complete in the 2 years after our exit notification, but it's looking very achievable in 4 years.

Wordsmith

skid2

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Striding like a colossus through the known world of free trade. Being welcomed back by everyone like the return of the prodigal son, there’ll be tears, hugs backslapping and partying until dawn.........there will, won’t there?

Looks like we are transitioning to a country full of whining snowflakes who seem to think the EU will look after them!

God knows how this country ever had an empire!
It was run by hard nosed realists who could answer important questions like "what are we transitioning to?" That's the very definition of taking control, just as ignoring the question and relying on hope is the opposite.

At the beginning of 2021, freedom from the the bulk of EU law and other requirements, although we'll still need to meet EU regulations to trade into the single market.

The transition period is just that - a de facto extension of the 2 year notification period required for a country to leave the EU. That process has proven too complex to be complete in the 2 years after our exit notification, but it's looking very achievable in 4 years.

Wordsmith
It's only achievable if we know where we expect to end up. Which we don't. So, what are we transitioning to? If you can't answer that we'll never really leave. Which might of course be the current plan.

It's only achievable if we know where we expect to end up. Which we don't. So, what are we transitioning to? If you can't answer that we'll never really leave. Which might of course be the current plan.
I'd say we hope to end up where Westminster passes legislation that's in the best interests of the UK, rather than legislation that suits the lowest common denominator in the EU, and which in some cases has been forced on the UK by QMV despite us opposing it in the UK.

That's me on the left, that is....

1521644147225.png

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It was run by hard nosed realists who could answer important questions like "what are we transitioning to?" That's the very definition of taking control, just as ignoring the question and relying on hope is the opposite.
What has the EU to offer us?

I know that not changing just about covers it for you and many of the other Remainiacs but to date I have seen nothing offered by Brussels to entice me to go back on my vote.

They are still an autocratic, unelected bullying bureaucracy which thinks more about its HQ building(s) than it does its citizens. So, what has the EU to offer us? Persuade me.

Answers on a postage stamp.
A

I know that not changing just about covers it for you and many of the other Remainiacs but to date I have seen nothing offered by Brussels to entice me to go back on my vote.

They are still an autocratic, unelected bullying bureaucracy which thinks more about its HQ building(s) than it does its citizens. So, what has the EU to offer us? Persuade me.

Answers on a postage stamp.
A
The thing is, as far as I can tell, nobody is asking you to "go back" on your vote. If there is no answer to the question "what are we transitioning to", then we might as well be honest and say that. Answering a question that wasn't asked doesn't really move anything on.

The thing is, as far as I can tell, nobody is asking you to "go back" on your vote. If there is no answer to the question "what are we transitioning to", then we might as well be honest and say that. Answering a question that wasn't asked doesn't really move anything on.
What makes you think that any post on here will move anything on?

What makes you think that any post on here will move anything on?
It would be nice if we could actually discuss the matter rather constantly go through the loop of re-hashing old arguments about which way to vote - either in the actual referendum or in some fantasy second referendum.

Of course, it would be the triumph of hope over experience.

I had positive reasons for voting to leave the EU. I firmly believe a lower tax, more lightly regulated UK will increase its share of wold trade. Lower tax, more lightly regulated business tend to make more profit, create more jobs and broaden the tax base for the government, making public services more affordable. In short, I believe Brexit will deliver a more prosperous, more contented UK.

The negative reason for leaving the EU (less important than the positive one) was the lack of democratic accountability in the EU and the future implosion of the euro when the next recession comes along.

Brexit was an issue I'd devoted a lot of thought to before the referendum, I felt strongly enough to go out and campaign on the doorstep during the referendum and I was very happy with the result of the referendum.

Wordsmith

Genuinely curious as to why you believe EH101 to have been such a disaster.

Stupidly over complex and fragile 'solution' to a very simple problem… build a better Sea King.
Sales have dried up and MOD is not looking at it no more.

Sales of EH101's - @ 200

Sales of UH-60 that Westland wanted to build under licence… @ 4,000

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Stupidly over complex and fragile 'solution' to a very simple problem… build a better Sea King.
Sales have dried up and MOD is not looking at it no more.

Sales of EH101's - @ 200

Sales of UH-60 that Westland wanted to build under licence… @ 4,000
It's hard to understand how you remain only a Band E PowerPoint Picture enhancer. You're knowledge of naval, hell all, matters is astounding.

I had positive reasons for voting to leave the EU. I firmly believe a lower tax, more lightly regulated UK will increase its share of wold trade. Lower tax, more lightly regulated business tend to make more profit, create more jobs and broaden the tax base for the government, making public services more affordable. In short, I believe Brexit will deliver a more prosperous, more contented UK.
Wordsmith
If low regulation, low tax delivers a contented nation why are the 'Nordic' nations consistently asessed to be the happiest on earth? They are neither low tax nor low regulation in comparison to the UK.