• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

JRM is also operating within the Tory party's unspoken rules. MP's that are publicly disloyal to the leader don't get to wear the crown. He's staying on the safe side of that invisible line.

The 21 month transition period don't particularly worry me, as long as we complete freedom of action after that. In the real world, the first 12 months of the 21 is going to be spent working out how to take best advantage of our new found freedom. All I expect to see in the first year is a limited number of high profile/low impact actions as PR to demonstrate the benefits of Brexit.

Wordsmith
Not concerned either - seems eminently sensible. It seems to me that most of the frothing on here about it seems to come from those who don't want the UK to leave anyway. I sense that they seem to desire a 'hard' Brexit (whatever that is), so they can say 'I told you so'!

Own up, how many of you based your vote on data driven memes targeting your various personality defects?
I didn't - I answered some bone survey of Facebook and then it appears that Cambridge Analytica did it for me. I couldn't even read the side of the bus because I'm too ill-edjumacated, you see.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Shame the main movers in electric vehicles and automation are not based in the EU then, innit?
You’d be wrong and look ‘the automated and electric vehicles bill’ of 2018.
An autonomous future, if that doesn’t fill you full of dread, it should. Unless you intend only driving them on patrol round the borders of the U.K.

If ever an idea was going to benefit from increased rather than decreased cooperation this was it. Yet with Europe going one way, ourselves working as a third country. It looks like we can look forward to a future of Chinese cars.
Not that there’s anything wrong with Chinese cars I just never liked rovers.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Not concerned either - seems eminently sensible. It seems to me that most of the frothing on here about it seems to come from those who don't want the UK to leave anyway. I sense that they seem to desire a 'hard' Brexit (whatever that is), so they can say 'I told you so'!
Much of the frothing (on both sides) comes from people who seize on every minor triumph/setback as the defining moment of the Battle of Brexit. Not assisted by ill-informed frothing in the media.

The only thing that really matters is the net effect of the changes - are they broadly beneficial for the UK? Few commentators, either in this thread or in the media, seem able to take that holistic approach.

Wordsmith

Sounds like they will shut the factory and relocate to the EU unless the government subsidies production.

Why are you seemingly triumphant that several thousand skilled jobs are in jeopardy?

Wasteland needs to die. EH101 was a disastrous blunder. They should have carried on building Sikorkies that people were queuing up to buy.
And Europe's offerings are not the future for UK rotary.
All eyes are once more fixed on the West.

Much of the frothing (on both sides) comes from people who seize on every minor triumph/setback as the defining moment of the Battle of Brexit. Not assisted by ill-informed frothing in the media.

The only thing that really matters is the net effect of the changes - are they broadly beneficial for the UK? Few commentators, either in this thread or in the media, seem able to take that holistic approach.

Wordsmith

Wut! Are you saying the million odd Fluchtung Mutti invited in haven't been a huge success story for Germany?
Well, actually yes, the German Minister admits that 75% will still be unemployed in 5 years time.

Wordsmith
As someone who so fanatically tramped the streets selling brexit to his neighbours that rings false

I didn't - I answered some bone survey of Facebook and then it appears that Cambridge Analytica did it for me. I couldn't even read the side of the bus because I'm too ill-edjumacated, you see.

The thing I find interesting, is that despite claims that the techniques employed by CA would have had no bearing on the final referendum result (despite much research supporting the efficacy of their relatively simple techniques (the most sophisticated part imo, was how they got hold of the data in the first place- the algorithm itself, is relatively simple to construct), it was felt appropriate to spend rather a lot of money on their services.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The thing I find interesting, is that despite claims that the techniques employed by CA would have had no bearing on the final referendum result (despite much research supporting the efficacy of their relatively simple techniques (the most sophisticated part imo, was how they got hold of the data in the first place- the algorithm itself, is relatively simple to construct), it was felt appropriate to spend rather a lot of money on their services.
FaceAche makes a lot of money from Data Mining. There are legal ways to access a lot of that data.

Facebook

Given that FaceAche has complex security settings and they keep changing those, I suspect CA found a way to mine the data in a way unintended by FaceAche.

Wordsmith

JRM is also operating within the Tory party's unspoken rules. MP's that are publicly disloyal to the leader don't get to wear the crown. He's staying on the safe side of that invisible line.

The 21 month transition period don't particularly worry me, as long as we complete freedom of action after that. In the real world, the first 12 months of the 21 is going to be spent working out how to take best advantage of our new found freedom. All I expect to see in the first year is a limited number of high profile/low impact actions as PR to demonstrate the benefits of Brexit.

Wordsmith

So what are we transitioning to? Until that question is answered all we will do during that 21 months is arrange an extension.

So, for instance, where's the work being done to define the measures needed to square the circle on EU-UK borders? Not just NI of course, avoiding delays at Dover and so on is just as important. We know the recent Parliamentary report has concluded that nothing exists right now that can do what we need and that no-one has an off the shelf solution, so clearly we need to put the effort in to arrange one. So where is it?

Right now all the government can offer is word salad and hand waving about "technology" as they can kick the can down the road for a few more months. At some point we need a few hundred pages of legal bumph and a few thousand pages of technical specs to allow us to agree and implement new border arrangements. Then a few years to put them in place, buy IT systems and so on. All very doable. Only it's not being done.

So what are we transitioning to?

So what are we transitioning to? Until that question is answered all we will do during that 21 months is arrange an extension.

So, for instance, where's the work being done to define the measures needed to square the circle on EU-UK borders? Not just NI of course, avoiding delays at Dover and so on is just as important. We know the recent Parliamentary report has concluded that nothing exists right now that can do what we need and that no-one has an off the shelf solution, so clearly we need to put the effort in to arrange one. So where is it?

Right now all the government can offer is word salad and hand waving about "technology" as they can kick the can down the road for a few more months. At some point we need a few hundred pages of legal bumph and a few thousand pages of technical specs to allow us to agree and implement new border arrangements. Then a few years to put them in place, buy IT systems and so on. All very doable. Only it's not being done.

So what are we transitioning to?

So when I rock up at Folkestone and Calais next month, I can tell the assorted people demanding to see my papers and passports to go away as there is free access into and out of the UK?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
So when I rock up at Folkestone and Calais next month, I can tell the assorted people demanding to see my papers and passports to go away as there is free access into and out of the UK?
Listening to some of the bods on here I thought there was, which is why we needed control of our borders.