Brexit Phase Two - Trade

This is where the reality of Brexit will start to come home to politicians. Pretty soon May is going to have assign responsibility to someone to come up with a paper on the future of the UK fishing industry, while Wee Nippy is going to have to do the same for Scotland. And that paper is going to have to cover a wide range of options including:
  • What tonnage can be extracted from the North sea while allowing stocks to recover?
  • How should the British fishing fleet be structured to exploit that?
  • How does the fish get to market given that the quantity caught will be greater than consumed in the UK?
  • What infrastructure is required? Railway lines? Cold storage? Port facilities?
  • What fishery protection measures are required? What ships? What aircraft?
  • What legislation is required now we can bin the EU's in the near future?
  • Etc, etc.
Someone is going to have to come up with a plan and be accountable for it; not say "decisions are being taken in conjunction with Brussels".

MP's are going to become steadily more accountable to the British electorate for the decisions they take.

Wordsmith
UK were pretty bad at fish conservation before joining the EU. Hence the cod wars with Norway and Iceland. Proposals to reduce the fishing fleet by the EU were vetoed by, guess who, the UK.
You are aware, as it's been pointed out loads of times, the fish in UK waters are the ones we don't particularly like hence the reason we import most of the fish we consume and export most of the fish we catch.
Unless you're thinking of towing a few icebergs over from the Arctic or Canada, the seas in our area have warmed up and the stuff we like, cod especially, have moved north to colder waters. Simply leaving the EU is not going to change that and they aren't going to suddenly move back.
The cost of building railways, updating port facilities and many other things would far outweigh cost of the fish we catch. Last time I went to Peterhead I had to get off at Aberdeen and hire a car for the rest of the journey.
As for legal matters, who reimburses the Spanish and Dutch fishermen for the cost they paid for quotas and licenses in the first place? Are those licenses issued by Marine Scotland (in particular) now not worth the paper they are printed on? Would the registration fees currently paid by those ships to the UK be lost? What about the jobs for Brits that currently work on these ships?
70% of UK fishing areas are in Scotland. New referendum on the sweaties leaving, anyone?

UK were pretty bad at fish conservation before joining the EU. Hence the cod wars with Norway and Iceland. Proposals to reduce the fishing fleet by the EU were vetoed by, guess who, the UK.
You are aware, as it's been pointed out loads of times, the fish in UK waters are the ones we don't particularly like hence the reason we import most of the fish we consume and export most of the fish we catch.
Unless you're thinking of towing a few icebergs over from the Arctic or Canada, the seas in our area have warmed up and the stuff we like, cod especially, have moved north to colder waters. Simply leaving the EU is not going to change that and they aren't going to suddenly move back.
The cost of building railways, updating port facilities and many other things would far outweigh cost of the fish we catch. Last time I went to Peterhead I had to get off at Aberdeen and hire a car for the rest of the journey.
As for legal matters, who reimburses the Spanish and Dutch fishermen for the cost they paid for quotas and licenses in the first place? Are those licenses issued by Marine Scotland (in particular) now not worth the paper they are printed on? Would the registration fees currently paid by those ships to the UK be lost? What about the jobs for Brits that currently work on these ships?
70% of UK fishing areas are in Scotland. New referendum on the sweaties leaving, anyone?

Wrong

Sustainable British cod on the menu after stocks recover

I'm sorry you can't engage with reality.

Whatever helps you cope with the disappointment of brexit
Haven't seen your ostrich for a while, or any of your other sidesplittingly funny pics. How's your non existent grasp on reality going? Got a job yet?
I had a 400 mile trip today, kept an eye on the mirror, didn't see you following. I reckon you're a fibber.

Haven't seen your ostrich for a while, or any of your other sidesplittingly funny pics. How's your non existent grasp on reality going? Got a job yet?
I had a 400 mile trip today, kept an eye on the mirror, didn't see you following. I reckon you're a fibber.
ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg
WA1550362.jpg

Keep your eyes on the road

That process being the whole point of a transition period. Polling figures point out that Scottish fishermen voted to leave the EU as they wanted to see and end to the CFA but Scotland voted to Remain thus forcing Scottish fishermen to continue being screwed by the EU. At least after 2020 there should be a UK wide policy to which EU fishermen have to observe. Just wonder if the navy can protect our waters.
A very good point and well observed: the prospect of fishing options improving are still better than they would have been.

I bet good money though that is not how it will be portrayed.

May is effectively having her feet held to the fire by both Ruth Davidson and JRM indicating they won't support continued EU access beyond the transition period. She'll be aware that either is capable of putting an amendment down to that effect. Labour would be pretty well guaranteed to support that amendment - electorally popular and a bloody nose for May. So I don't think she can afford to allow access after the transition period.

Policing need not be so difficult. Invest in three old maritime patrol aircraft - their radar only needs to be good enough to detect trawlers - and bring some old frigates out of mothballs and partially disarm them for fishery protection vessels. EU trawlers to fish in UK waters is to be subject to license - a condition of that license being the right to inspection at any time while in UK waters. Planes find the trawlers - ex-frigates intercept suspect ones with heavy fines for law-breakers....

If the government really thought strategically, they'd invest in some refrigerated trains. Land your catch at northern Scottish ports, load onto refrigerated train and have it - via euro tunnel - in continental markets while the EU trawlers are still days away from port.

Wordsmith
See my previous re. Charles Alexander. His haulage company would get the morning catch from Aberdeen to Manchester by noon. Just as easy to keep trucking south!

Thanks for your thoughts Bob.

The most irritating thing about the EU for me is it trying to exert it's sphere of influence ever eastwards, since you ask.

Probably led to the ongoing mess in the Ukraine.

I've never said that it is perfect. I'm strongly convinced we are worse off out though

No no ... Thank you. I take it that you agree.

So we've established that you disagree that the case for ever closer union doesn't extend Eastwards.

So one down .. four to go?

We've already agreed to pay till 2064.

That's just the divorce bill.

Access will cost more in perpetuity.

The UK is desperate
Dear follower,

Your source please?

I think that you will find that there may be an undertaking to continue to foot a pensions bill for a while. Do you have a problem with that?

Yours aye

Truxx

Thank you.

In almost 50 years I've been around, I've never heard the word struthious.

Every day a learning day.

Ah, shit! Not more 40 tonners on the A977...
Don't give me that. Half of Scotlands haulage industry drive down the A66 every day and each one of them is determined to travel at maximum velocity..

Trains would be better but no one is in the mood to build railways for fish these days. Unless those are busy businessfish who need to shave 20 mins of their travel time to Birmingham.

Thank you.

In almost 50 years I've been around, I've never heard the word struthious.

Every day a learning day.
Sand in your ears. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's solid sand from ear to ear.

Don't give me that. Half of Scotlands haulage industry drive down the A66 every day and each one of them is determined to travel at maximum velocity..

Trains would be better but no one is in the mood to build railways for fish these days. Unless those are busy businessfish who need to shave 20 mins of their travel time to Birmingham.
How do you think they get to the A66?

You’re absolutely right. No one I going to build a new railway for fish, and I really don’t think there will be a fish carriage on the HS2 either.

No, if this new golden age for the fishing industry does appear, and it does transpire that catches are landed in Britain for transport to Europe, then it makes sense that they will be landed in Southern ports like Lowestoft. This isn’t going to help the boys in Peterhead, though.

How do you think they get to the A66?

You’re absolutely right. No one I going to build a new railway for fish, and I really don’t think there will be a fish carriage on the HS2 either.

No, if this new golden age for the fishing industry does appear, and it does transpire that catches are landed in Britain for transport to Europe, then it makes sense that they will be landed in Southern ports like Lowestoft. This isn’t going to help the boys in Peterhead, though.

The McParliament can subsidise avd support the resurgence if the once huge Scottish fishing industry out with the EU.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453