Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Nicola sturgeon, and now the entire ranks of Scottish Conservative MPs. All of them doing what politicians do, which is making the most of a political opportunity.

The possibility of the end of the CFP and repatriation of control of the fisheries was just about the only thing in Brexit that was attractive to me, but not enough to persuade me to vote to leave. Many people, especially those from fishing communities, saw it is the main argument for leaving. It can hardly be surprising that they’re a little upset now that the reality has hit them that the promises were empty ones.
It should also not be surprising that Nicola Sturgeon is going to remind them that she told them so. Especially after they they then went and elected some Tory MPs.
I am with you on this and this mornings news coverage suggests others are of the same mind. By the same token appearing not to be bothered about it may be a helpful approach. The last thing UK needs is another lever for the EU to tug at. Second phase ball might be the best that can be hoped for.

Besides the last thing that DEFRA want is to revert to the Min of Ag and Fish. If that happened they would have to revert to knowing what they are on about and spend more time actually doing stuff rather than prancing around saying "Hullo clouds hullo sky etc"

Yes the UK can negotiate Trade deals before we exit. BUT anyone the UK wants to have a trade deal with will already have a trade deal with the EU. None of them will do a deal with the UK until deal the UK has with the EU is signed and the ink dry.
You are Alsacien with an inside line to the negotiators on both sides of the EU/UK desk, plus a hot line to multiple countries around the world we want to do a trade deal with and thus know more than us mere mortals.

Alternatively, you're just guessing like the rest of us....

Wordsmith

You are Alsacien with an inside line to the negotiators on both sides of the EU/UK desk, plus a hot line to multiple countries around the world we want to do a trade deal with and thus know more than us mere mortals.

Wordsmith

What news of Alsacien?

Besides the last thing that DEFRA want is to revert to the Min of Ag and Fish. If that happened they would have to revert to knowing what they are on about and spend more time actually doing stuff rather than prancing around saying "Hullo clouds hullo sky etc"
More to the Point Min of Ag and Fish sounds far too prosaic DE FRA.... sounds so....... .Sir Humphry had a good morning when he thought of Deparment of Fisheries and Rural Affairs. ......really quite Ambridge. Just counldn't find a means to get NCE on the end. Ooops sorry Belgians don't want CAP re-nationalised

I am tempted to ask yours or theirs?

But I won't

Seriously, bad reviews are just part and parcel of this online badonage
Strangely enough I may have more experience of dummy spitting, knicker wetting reviews. When someone goes off on one like that it's because they're not coping too well with reality.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A masterclass in orderly retreat under a smokescreen of fighting talk and rhetoric.

The ERG played their part by giving the brexiteers the illusion of contention.

All in a complex choreography to fool the true believers.

PMTM (a remainer) pulled the strings, whilst others danced like Riverdancing monkeys to her tune.

It's brought the UK some time to negotiate transition in perpetuity
Typical looking for the negatives in everything! I like JRM's take on it - he is not happy but if it is the basis that helps reach a p;roper worked settlement then he will go along with it just now, voting against bits he does not like. So, unlike the Remainers, he has looked at the deasl and thought about it and realised that it is a step in the right direction but not the end of the path.

Wordsmith
Alternately, he can read and knows it isn't going to be as easy as promised with the added bonus that we'll have to make concessions.

Fears grow that South Korea may demand concessions from Britain to replicate EU trade agreements

Fears grow FFS.

Typical looking for the negatives in everything! I like JRM's take on it - he is not happy but if it is the basis that helps reach a p;roper worked settlement then he will go along with it just now, voting against bits he does not like. So, unlike the Remainers, he has looked at the deasl and thought about it and realised that it is a step in the right direction but not the end of the path.
You are also partaking in the jig by swallowing the words of those who have secured us BrINO

JRM described it as purgatory before heaven.

Tells you all you need to know about his grip on reality.

Deity worship and equating brexit with a positive outcome are not the marks of a critical thinker

He appears to have dropped of the site completely with his username gone AWOL. Pity, because apart from frothing at the mouth when any suggestion that the EU was less than perfect came up, he could be quite informative in other threads.

Wordsmith
Not to mention that he's the only Remainer in the history of Arrse who had some idea of the issues involved, had actually worked in Brussels at a reasonably senior level and had actually met an EU Commissioner or two.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

Thats the jolly smiling upbeat Jacob Rees Mogg who describes us as a vassal state, sulks loudly and in public when the stupidity of Brexit isn’t going as he thinks it should. I also note that the brexits are conveniently ignoring the fact that the UK Gov have signed up to the Backstop scenario in respect of NI.

But we arent mentioning that because it’s inconvenient. The DUP dont mention it because they’ve been told to shut up ( and are praying it’s not going to happen) and it’s effectively shut down any chance of a hard Brexit much to everyone’s relief

What, no news from Nigel?

JRM is also operating within the Tory party's unspoken rules. MP's that are publicly disloyal to the leader don't get to wear the crown. He's staying on the safe side of that invisible line.

The 21 month transition period don't particularly worry me, as long as we complete freedom of action after that. In the real world, the first 12 months of the 21 is going to be spent working out how to take best advantage of our new found freedom. All I expect to see in the first year is a limited number of high profile/low impact actions as PR to demonstrate the benefits of Brexit.

Wordsmith

Not to mention that he's the only Remainer in the history of Arrse who had some idea of the issues involved, had actually worked in Brussels at a reasonably senior level and had actually met an EU Commissioner or two.
I do wonder what impact Brexit had on him. Assuming he's kept his British citizenship, Brexit may have affected his business - I suspect the EU may have been a bit petty in term of what contracts it awarded. I hope he wasn't/isn't too badly affected - apart from having rose tinted glasses re the EU, he always struck me as someone you wouldn't mind bumping into in real life.

Wordsmith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453