Brexit Phase Two - Trade

So if the referendum had gone your way you’d have been whining Brexit were sore losers if they objected.
Not at all. They have a right to argue their case.
However what the Brexit loons seem to fail to understand is that the Referendum was the START of a process.

What all good democrats are saying is that when we know the actual cost of Brexit the population should be asked if they want to pay that price. No sane person signs a blank cheque.

At the moment the UK is "getting a quote" for the cost of Brexit. Then the UK cansee if it wants to pay the price.

It might be that the deal is that good 75% of the UK say "I want that!" OTOH you have to be prepared for 75% to say: no way! We want to stay in.

But you can only to that when you know the cost. At the moment no one knows the costs.

However what the Brexit loons seem to fail to understand is that the Referendum was the START of a process.

What all good democrats are saying is that when we know the actual cost of Brexit the population should be asked if they want to pay that price. No sane person signs a blank cheque.

At the moment the UK is "getting a quote" for the cost of Brexit. Then the UK cansee if it wants to pay the price.

It might be that the deal is that good 75% of the UK say "I want that!" OTOH you have to be prepared for 75% to say: no way! We want to stay in.

But you can only to that when you know the cost. At the moment no one knows the costs.

Did it ever occur to you we accepted there will be a cost and are happy to pay it?

What this Good Democrat is saying is that, having made my contribution to the decision asked of us, my expectation is that my elected representative will play his part in ensuring that the UK gets the best outcome possible whilst still actually leaving the EU.

I would further contend that many in the remain camp too should be reminded that this is a process, not a series of "fails" or "reversals". In order to achieve the outcome described above anyone with half a brain would understand that there is much horse trading to be done.

As I have said to you before, labelling those with a different view as "Brexit loons" rather detracts from any points that you are trying to make.

Did it ever occur to you we accepted there will be a cost and are happy to pay it?
As "we" being at least half the UK isn't happy to accept what the costs looks like being it does need a vote.

As statically, based onthe demographics of the vote, there is no margin now. Also you are assuming that 100% of those who voted leave voted for the same thing and are happy with any price.

As "we" being at least half the UK isn't happy to accept what the costs looks like being it does need a vote.

As statically, based onthe demographics of the vote, there is no margin now. Also you are assuming that 100% of those who voted leave voted for the same thing and are happy with any price.

You lost, it’s not best of 3.

His conviction that all aviation life as we know it will disappear for a decade come next March is very strange. It’s almost like a form of religious mania.
Your liking for hyperbolic fantasy posts doesn't do you any favours.

He's given what will most likely happen and why.

Meanwhile, back in reality some more of those pesky foreigners are saying stuff.

Full statement here for the lazy:

JBCE and Keidanren Joint statement on the Brexit ‹ Japan Business Council in Europe

Since we ended up in the European Union at any price it seems reasonable to accept leaving at any price. At least there's a specific democratic mandate to leave which exceeds anything possessed by those who signed us up for the European Union.

Actually no one wants second referendum.

What is both wanted and needed is a vote on the Terms of Exit. Unless of course you are happy for the Government to say, without a vote: "Sorry could not make Brexit work. It's cancelled."

THE Referendum is only advisory and if there is no public vote on accepting/rejecting the terms of exit then the Government can say : "it won't work:" I would prefer a public vote on yes/no for the terms.

BTW a hard Brexit with no agreements would be suicide so that is not an option.
It would not have been suicide had HMG planned for that eventiallity but as they haven't yet planned for any sort of Brexit a hard Brexit would be suicide. (IN and Scotland would bugger off to start with.... OK so there are some upsides :) )

The only thing HMG has done is managed to take on thousands of expensive Civil Servants (and the cost will be increasing for a generation at least) to waffle around on trying to work out what sort of Brexit we might get. Nothing actually concrete.

The one thing both sides of the Brexit argument can agree on is that HMG is in a mess and not going to get anything sensible sorted in 12 months.
Your post comes across as making you seem to believe that everybody think about Brexit in the same way that you do, which is patently not the case.

'BTW a hard Brexit with no agreements would be suicide so that is not an option.'

Not only is it an option, It's highly likely if we're to believe all the negative traits ascribed to 'leavers' by 'remainers' here.

Your post comes across as making you seem to believe that everybody think about Brexit in the same way that you do, which is patently not the case.

'BTW a hard Brexit with no agreements would be suicide so that is not an option.'

Not only is it an option, It's highly likely if we're to believe all the negative traits ascribed to 'leavers' by 'remainers' here.
Besides, a hard Brexit would be the alternative if Chillsjag got his wish, there was a referendum on the agreement and the vote was 'no'.

Since we ended up in the European Union at any price it seems reasonable to accept leaving at any price. At least there's a specific democratic mandate to leave which exceeds anything possessed by those who signed us up for the European Union.
It pleases me when I see other people recognising the import of democratic and constitutional aspects of Brexit and the lead up to it.

I wonder if the politicians, seemingly pro-Europe but working towards Brexit, also value these things over and above all else?

After all, it from where they derive their power.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453