Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I send an email to the Chairman of my local Conservative party this morning outlining my concerns:

David,

I am sure you are receiving many emails like this, but as a lifelong Conservative voter, I feel compelled to write to you as Chairman of the Conservative Association for South West Herts.

I have to say I am completely dismayed by what I have watched unfold since the referendum. It is a travesty of our democracy and it would appear that the Conservative Party has completely misled the electorate having stood on a manifesto which would result in the UK exiting the European Union.

I wrote to David Gauke several weeks ago expressing my concern and I have to say the response I was received was disappointing. David clearly supports remaining in the European Union which was evident from his response, which in fairness reflects the democratic wishes of voters in this constituency.

The issue for me is beyond the results of the referendum. My issue is I can no longer trust our elected politicians or the Conservative Party. The Conservatives can no longer be trusted with my vote and like many life long Conservative voters, I will be seeking a new Political party to trust, and which I feel I can vote for.

Regards

Simmerit

The response as a boiler plate email entitled 'Conservative party' but at least it came from his own email account....

On 14 Mar 2019, at 09:48, David Collins <d.collins210@btinternet.com> wrote:

Simmerit,​
Many thanks for your email and the points you raise are of concern to many.​
The party has been through many traumas in its 200 year history and this is certainly one.​
I do not believe any politician is bigger than the party. and that Conservative values are still the best for our economy and family prosperity.​
The current situation is testing many loyalties but the alternative of State Control offered by the opposition would be even worse.​
Best Regards​
David Collins​
Chair South West Herts Conservative Association​

My response tonight:

David,

I’m not sure if you have read the Telegraph’s commentary on David Gauke’s vote last night, but if you haven’t I’d be grateful if you could justify his vote to me? I am at a complete loss as to how voting against the government aligns with conservative policy or behaviour?

Regards

Simmerit

Well Semmerit, with a Chairman of the Conservative Association like that it looks like David will not be facing any reselection difficulties when the time comes for a GE

Archive

Brexit - no matter how divisive it was - should've been a case of "right, let's get on with it!". Especially by people who advocated for it. But it has been a case of dithering and everybody still acting like it's still a choice or not - even after two bloody years - and now looks like it will take longer. And yes, it is the government's job, but there was no planning on anybody's part. It was like watching a Monty Python skit in real life.

One of the longest and most painful divorces in the world. Who can lead and deliver this in the end? That's a decent question.

The leading lights who advocated it were wilfully ignorant of the major issues and complexities. They made no constructive contribution to the negotiations, but instead undermined the Govt. Corbyn has acted shamefully and is unfit for high office. To blame the EU for this mess is simply a denial of reality.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The leading lights who advocated it were wilfully ignorant of the major issues and complexities. They made no constructive contribution to the negotiations, but instead undermined the Govt. Corbyn has acted shamefully and is unfit for high office. To blame the EU for this mess is simply a denial of reality.
To say the EU is blameless is of equal denial.

The EU who have offered a massive bill we don't owe in exchange for being handcuffed to them forever as their 'best deal'? Yeah real saints in all this.

May/Robbins are scum for going along with it but the architects of this vile business are Barnier and Juncker.

Hands up who has signed up for Niggels new party?
Post the linky and I'm in,

Current mood: absolutely ******* raging

20190314_223809.jpg

Military (arrse) coup anyone?

If successful I would like to put my name forward for Forign Secretary, I could quite easily make peace with Putin, and with joy put Trump in his place.

Brexit - no matter how divisive it was - should've been a case of "right, let's get on with it!". Especially by people who advocated for it. But it has been a case of dithering and everybody still acting like it's still a choice or not - even after two bloody years - and now looks like it will take longer. And yes, it is the government's job, but there was no planning on anybody's part. It was like watching a Monty Python skit in real life.

One of the longest and most painful divorces in the world. Who can lead and deliver this in the end? That's a decent question.
Erm I think you might find it will just fizzle out, saying that I think it has. People are more interested in the forthcoming European elections that we will now have to take part in. Who would have bet on that hey.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The EU who have offered a massive bill we don't owe in exchange for being handcuffed to them forever as their 'best deal'? Yeah real saints in all this.

May/Robbins are scum for going along with it but the architects of this vile business are Barnier and Juncker.
I would say Barnier and Juncker are the front men in this, and other EU, issues, the real eminence grise in this is Martyn Selmayr.

I hope everyone is enjoying the rollercoaster...

Brexit is above all an internal identity crisis

I would say Barnier and Juncker are the front men in this, and other EU, issues, the real eminence grise in this is Martyn Selmayr.
The EU will become all sweetness and light when it comes to negotiating the FTA? The ERG misread the withdrawal process (the easy bit!), and are now asking the country to sleepwalk into the next stage, with a disorderly Brexit. The FTA is the difficult bit! When this turns out to be another mess, what then? Blame the EU? This is not a responsible position for the future of the country.

The EU will become all sweetness and light when it comes to negotiating the FTA? The ERG misread the withdrawal process (the easy bit!), and are now asking the country to sleepwalk into the next stage, with a disorderly Brexit. The FTA is the difficult bit! When this turns out to be another mess, what then? Blame the EU? This is not a responsible position for the future of the country.
Roughly the member states get effed by anything adverse at 3x what the UK does.

Reality will sharpen pencils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 63
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 137