Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Working on the principle that an error can be corrected following the discovery of facts, it makes perfect sense to make a U turn. To blunder on regardless into a disaster because idiots failed to understand the consequences is an absurd notion.
Except that the 'error' is a subjective opinion, some or many might believe there is no error to be corrected.

And what happens if the result is the same?
It'll still be the wrong result apparently!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Except that the 'error' is a subjective opinion, some or many might believe there is no error to be corrected.

Surely even more wronger for the minority to have the power to overrule the wishes of the majority.

Patients in hospital, or indeed anywhere else in the UK, are the final arbiters of their treatment.

It's clear Higgsy that you don't like democracy - your prerogative - but what system of governance would you wish to live under?
I respect democracy as a better alternative to other political systems. The abuse or fumbling use of a democratic system to yield harmful results is another matter. The referendum on EU membership is a fine example and was actually anti-democratic. We voted in a government that advised remain... This was overturned by idiots who had no idea of the consequences. One can see the reliability of so called democracy when looking at the USA... It amounts to how many fools you can persuade.

How would you feel about unqualified strangers voting on the treatment that you receive?

So it’s a customs union in all but name, basically all we do is do whatever they deem acceptable, as in copying their rules and regs we can carry on trading (for a price)
We aren’t in the customs union we are in a tariff arrangement and everyone’s happy and there’s no single market it’s an unrestricted trading area.
It doesn't work like that. A lot of what they deem acceptable is already running in parallel. We build cars , electrical appliances etc that all comply, because the rules apply here. Those rules have been partly imposed but partly because we wouldn't take anything less, so we would have imposed our own TS which indeed we always have. Trading standards-weights and measures have existed since god was a lad.

Unfortunately the issue with eg VW etc blows a hole in the entire regulatory system.

There are not supposed to be exposes of breaches that cannot be controlled. But every now and again here is because someone else grabs advantage. The EU is trying to eliminate competition by regulation. If we build product it can be exported if someone wants to buy it, that means it has to be competitive. The customs arrangement is about the taxes we pay for the commodities we buy, not the issues and complexities of manufacture. There is,in effect and has already always been a single market. Moreover the EU misses out on Billions in revenue because of sharp practices about origin rules,"Triangulation" being one of the issues.

So the Customs Union is really a misnomer, the single market is really a market with no interference once the taxes are paid. Business doesn't like control it likes profit. The Union does not control profit or profit margins. It's one of the reasons that I'm ambivalent about it because the only real issue is if the product works for the customer. It you really want it-you'll pay, conversely if you don't you won't.

Looks as if the Tories (belatedly) have agreed a Brexit position.

Divergence wins: Brexiteers claim victory after Chequers talks
The Cabinet’s Brexiteers were claiming victory last night after “divergence won” during an eight-hour session at Chequers to agree the form of Brexit the Government wants to achieve.

Theresa May is understood to have satisfied Leave campaigners including Boris Johnson and Michael Gove that the UK will have sufficient freedom to move away from EU rules and regulations after Brexit.

One source said Philip Hammond, the Chancellor and former Remain campaigner, appeared “shocked” by the consensus, which reportedly allowed for more divergence than he had wanted.
The fly in the ointment appears to have been Hammond, who clearly has struggled to accept the result of the Brexit vote - and has fought to make Brexit a Brexit in name only. May has proved very slow to get a grip on that particular situation and has wasted valuable time as a result.

Wordsmith

exbleep

On ROPS
On ROPs

The fly in the ointment appears to have been Hammond, who clearly has struggled to accept the result of the Brexit vote - and has fought to make Brexit a Brexit in name only. May has proved very slow to get a grip on that particular situation and has wasted valuable time as a result.

Wordsmith
Why have they put Gove's Spitting Image puppet in that photo?

Wordsmith
I love the smell of Brexit in the morning.

Smells like..........victory.

Also of interest is this article.

ECB accuses Trump of 'currency war' as surging euro exposes Europe's fragility
The European Central Bank has expressed alarm over the surging euro, accusing the Trump administration of driving down the dollar to gain trade advantage in breach of global accords.

Minutes from the ECB’s policy meeting in January flagged concerns that the overly-strong exchange rate had become unhealthy and “required monitoring”, with doves on the Governing Council clearly worried that the eurozone is still caught in a low inflation trap with no safety buffer against fresh deflation shocks.
The pound has proved relatively robust in the face of significant swings in its exchange rate. The concern expressed in the face of a strengthening euro does not bode well for it when the next recession rolls along at some point in the future.

The eurozone is still a net exporter to the rest of the world. As a result of the stronger exchange rate, imports to the EU are going to increase and exports correspondingly fall. Germany, as the major exporter in the EU is going to be hit particularly hard.

THe EU didn't moan when the value of the euro fell against the dollar. This illustrates another truism. Competitive devaluation is fine when you do it and dastardly and underhand when someone else does it.

Wordsmith

skid2

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
I love the smell of Brexit in the morning.

Smells like..........victory.

Quick, tell the PM she’ll be delighted. ( I thought the main thing about the Chequers awayday is that. No one immediately resigned)

Personally I smell fudge. And the sound of frantic back pedalling if Corbyn (and I can’t believe im typing this) does the decent thing and supports retaining the Customs Union on Monday.
I’m not holding my breath.

Quick, tell the PM she’ll be delighted. ( I thought the main thing about the Chequers awayday is that. No one immediately resigned)

Personally I smell fudge. And the sound of frantic back pedalling if Corbyn (and I can’t believe im typing this) does the decent thing and supports retaining the Customs Union on Monday.
Yeah, all the Labour/Leave voters will love him for that!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Oohh don't you sound disappointed. Fancy having to rely on a spy to keep your hopes of staying in the EU alive. Enjoy the moment as I enjoy the schadenfreude.:eek:

Still there is one thing to keep you going and that is the fact that, whatever the UK put forward, Barnier us just going to say "Non!" :mad:

Surely even more wronger for the minority to have the power to overrule the wishes of the majority.

Patients in hospital, or indeed anywhere else in the UK, are the final arbiters of their treatment.

It's clear Higgsy that you don't like democracy - your prerogative - but what system of governance would you wish to live under?
An "opinion" by some people should not govern the well being of others.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Patients do not specify their treatment. If that was true I would demand sex with a nubile nurse to cure a cold.

Chance of halting Brexit now close to 50:50, says leading campaigner

Eloise Todd, CEO of Best for Britain, poses for a photo coyly sitting on the flag of the Union
at their offices in London, Britain

LONDON (Reuters) - Opponents of Britain’s exit from the European Union are preparing a major campaign they say now has close to a 50:50 chance of stopping Brexit by blocking Prime Minister Theresa May’s divorce deal, a leading pro-EU campaigner said.

Where has Juncker ruled out a customs union?
I din't say Juncker has ruled out being in a customs Union, I said he had ruled out us being in the Customs union that currently exists, because CMD accepted that. Now do pay attention other wise Beeb will be sorely cross. He said that shortly after after the referendum.

The U.K. government said Monday that Britain wouldn’t be constrained by the European Union’s customs union after Brexit
The way I read that is directly by the concept of trade deals which the EU says it controls but has never explained the mechanism of how? I did point out that the defining point at which the market is free is the payment of the relevant taxes. I even posted the section where it says it.

t's clear Higgsy that you don't like democracy - your prerogative - but what system of governance would you wish to live under?
The one he likes?