Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Yes they do include Q4 2017 and have done since Jan 30th (unless you're looking at different tables).
Throughout the year, UK increased 1.7% but the Eurozone increased 2.5%. UK growth was better in Q4 than expected at 0.5% (0.4% predicted) and the eurozone by 0.6% (not much in it but the whole year is significant).
Romania is not in the Eurozone. Latvia increase by 0.3% in Q4 so that really boosted it up, didn't it?
EU Growth 2017
The pound, I agree, was overvalued when it was 1.40 or above to the euro by about 10 to 12%. Not when it dropped to 1.25 and then lost a lot more so that, my learned friend, is crap.
Unless you're saying it was overvalued by some 35% when it was higher.
Your link is for a 'Flash Estimate' - they aren't the fourth quarter figures. They are forecasts at this stage until finalized.

Edit: And interestingly, don't include Q4 figures for nearly half the member states - which is why I said wait out.

Latvia, as one example, has seen consistent periods of above average growth (in some years as high as 6%) which inflated the overall EU growth figures.

Effectively 'cheating', and then using them to say how terrible the UK was doing in comparison, and ignoring the fact that in part it was our money being siphoned off to achieve it.

Last edited:
I have found with importing that the Chinese Yuan, the Rupee and the USD are far more important to me and to many others, than the Euro. To 95% of this country the Euro is for holiday money only. Only a very basic view, but that's how I see it.

Draft ?
Meanwhile, BI has PMTM surrending yet again.
Theresa May to surrender to the EU on free movement during the Brexit transition

Yet, she has made it clear that during the transition ‘free movement’ will end.
As I've pointed out before, Free movement is conditional, but there is no reason to suppose, that once we leave WE cannot permit the same conditions to obtain. Besides it's always been my contention that it's the control of who's here that is far more important.
I partially agree, of course controlling those already here however controlling those also attempting to access the UK too, seeing as the 2020 transition/implementation plan has yet been finalised.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have found with importing that the Chinese Yuan, the Rupee and the USD are far more important to me and to many others, than the Euro. To 95% of this country the Euro is for holiday money only. Only a very basic view, but that's how I see it.
In 2016, 43% of all UK exports were to the EU and 54% of all imports were from the EU.
China was 3,1% of all exports and 7.2% of all imports.
USA 19% of exports and 11% of imports.
To say it's "holiday" money is a little naive.

As I've pointed out before (with the appropriate links), the EU is growing, but less rapidly than the rest of the world. As such, its share of world trade has been shrinking steadily for years.

Had the EU not imposed swinging import tariffs on products where it is not competitive in the world market, imports into the EU would have increased and EU companies would have to close as a consequence.

Import tariffs effectively camouflage the fact that the EU's increased taxes and burdensome regulations are slowly destroying a lot of EU manufacturing - with jobs exported to places like Chine, India and south Korea. But they can't stop the problem - just delay its impact.

So the EU is becoming ever less relevant to the world economy. In 50 years time, at the present rate of decline, it will have become an economic backwater.

Wordsmith
We will still need to trade extensively with the EU since increasing trade with the rest of the world cannot replace the current scale. This is why the CBI is arguing for the UK to be in the CU:

“There may come a day when the opportunity to fully set independent trade policies outweighs the value of a customs union with the EU.

“A day when investing time in fast-growing economies elsewhere eclipses the value of frictionless trade in Europe.

“But that day hasn’t yet arrived.

Evidence not ideology: Why a customs union is best for Britain - CBI

And if your argument is going to take half a century then maybe we should leave the EU in the 2050s.

if the farmers are struggling to attract workers, then those sell their time working on farms are in ascendency.
I appreciate being resistant to facts is necessary for some but that isn't the problem. The urgent problem is that the workers are not arriving from overseas in sufficient numbers because the EU is growing quickly, sterling is worth less and for some strange reason they don't feel especially welcome.

Even Gove appreciates that and is urgently trying to fix the leaking bucket. The worry is that even if he gets a scheme in place the workers still won't arrive.

Farmers tell Gove: lack of migrant workers now 'mission critical'

It looks like we might be swapping workers from Bulgaria with chaps from North Africa or perhaps Turkey.

Now you could offer significantly more money in wages to help but I'm not sure how much more you wish to pay for your food.

Last edited:
I appreciate being resistant to facts is necessary for some but that isn't the problem. The urgent problem is that the workers are not arriving from overseas in sufficient numbers because the EU is growing quickly, sterling is worth less and for some strange reason they don't feel especially welcome.

Even Gove appreciates that and is urgently trying to fix the leaking bucket. The worry is that even if he gets a scheme in place the workers still won't arrive.

It looks like we might be swapping workers from Bulgaria with chaps from North Africa or perhaps Turkey.

Now you could offer significantly more money in wages to help but I'm not sure how much more you wish to pay for your food.
Sign off a TTIP+++^2 deal with the USA. End farming and flood the market with glow in the dark, steroid enhanced vegetables and chloride fed poultry.

Job done

Ever heard of a company called Albert Bartlett? The set up is run by his offspring these days and a recent conversation puts all this into perspective. Cheap labour gets less cheap. It reaches a point where investment in machinery is worthwhile. Post investment productivity improves and costs actually go down. So we have seen the end of what we used to call tattie picking, just as haymaking is now a couple of blokes not the whole family.

This is not good for small producers who often lack the access to funding I admit, but a better approach to investment would go a long way rather than just scouring the globe for cheap labour.

Ever heard of a company called Albert Bartlett? The set up is run by his offspring these days and a recent conversation puts all this into perspective. Cheap labour gets less cheap. It reaches a point where investment in machinery is worthwhile. Post investment productivity improves and costs actually go down. So we have seen the end of what we used to call tattie picking, just as haymaking is now a couple of blokes not the whole family.

This is not good for small producers who often lack the access to funding I admit, but a better approach to investment would go a long way rather than just scouring the globe for cheap labour.
That's not going to happen quickly, though, and it seems Brexit uncertainly is reducing that sort of investment. This is why Gove has said he's going to go looking for migrant labour around the globe.

Gove backing Brexit farm workers support

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470