Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Are you saying that they are of a much higher quality than they that run our County councils?
Never worked with County councils, that broad sweep getting a bit more refined?

Your experience of working with County Councils is?

It’s definately changed the face of much of Germany, and not for the good..
Never thought I’d see the day when I’d see Germans spitting and muttering ‘Schmutzig Muslim’ as they sat watching the gimmegrants saunter by like they owned the place. And no, not in the big towns with long established Muslims enclaves, this was in small towns in the Schwarzwald.
You may have hit on a point I hadn't considered there.
I don't get out in the sticks all that often, mostly big cities and as I said all over the Ruhrpott, so maybe there has been a bigger impact in the smaller, provincial villages and towns that haven't seen all that many brown people in the past.
I know that the idea of spreading the immigrants out around the country was supposed to lessen the impact on any one area but if you live in a village of only a 100 then a dozen foreign types suddenly turning up to live there might be a bit of a shock.

stop reading the Express? It's not the real world, you know.
H'm so which other newspaper would you suggest, given they are all bought. I read none over the week but I do watch Euronews which is quite good apart from the rote put out by the EU. I catch up through PE. Beeb can be written off. Not really that much that informs, apart from the EU which is doing a passable impression of Q8. See it's the lack of independent thought even in the circular yah boo arguments on this thread. I understand that the big money is trying to derail the process, but that has nothing to do with the electorate- you did realise that the qualifications for voting have moved on since 1848?

Never thought I’d see the day when I’d see Germans spitting and muttering ‘Schmutzig Muslim’ as they sat watching the gimmegrants saunter by like they owned the place. And no, not in the big towns with long established Muslims enclaves, this was in small towns in the Schwarzwald.
They thought you were a Muslim?

I call bullshit. Making stuff up to fit your agenda

Been to both Hamburg and Berlin in the past year and haven't seen anything like that. Not heard anything like that from colleagues working out there either

24msyb.jpg

Never worked with County councils, that broad sweep getting a bit more refined?
Your experience of working with County Councils is?
As tax payers we all have experience of one way or another. There is not room on here to tell of all of it but our 'Leader of the Council' is paid more than the PM. behind closed doors they set their own pay scales. A group of three council workers have just finished a three week visit to some vague part of Spain that speak another dialect, just to have experience of them in case some turn up in our local area...it a case of spend it or lose it. I suppose it's not all negative what they do, and there are always good people in all orgs, but the local County Council do get a bad press about here.

Regarding our District council, when I arrived here, there were about 15 of them in a small office in the old court house, Now we have a battalion of them in a large park style estate in lavish accommodation, even though most of the services are farmed out to private firms. I am not a communist nor an anarchist, just a businessman who has just had his annual business rates rise by £2351.00, per year without notice. Believe me there are overpaid under-worked in Government at all levels in this country, mainly because decent folk don't want to be associated with them. Rant over!

PS: read up the rules on Stress Leave, it's so critical to them that they book it in advance!

Last edited:
I call bullshit. Making stuff up to fit your agenda

Been to both Hamburg and Berlin in the past year and haven't seen anything like that. Not heard anything like that from colleagues working out there either

View attachment 323048
I call bullshit. Making stuff up to fit your agenda.

I am Germany right now, living with a German family (the in-laws). It is exactly like meerkatz describes. My wife was in tears after walking in town yesterday and speaking to some of her friends who are unfortunate enough to still live here.

As for Berlin, you must be taking the piss? It is well known here that there are areas of the capital that are no go areas to Germans, including the police.

As tax payers we all have experience of one way or another. There is not room on here to tell of all of it but our 'Leader of the Council' is paid more than the PM. behind closed doors they set their own pay scales. A group of three council workers have just finished a three week visit to some vague part of Spain that speak another dialect, just to have experience of them in case some turn up in our local area...it a case of spend it or lose it. I suppose it's not all negative what they do, and there are always good people in all orgs, but the local County Council do get a bad press about here.

Regarding our District council, when I arrived here, there were about 15 of them in a small office in the old court house, Now we have a battalion of them in a large park style estate in lavish accommodation, even though most of the services are farmed out to private firms. I am not a communist nor an anarchist, just a businessman who has just had his annual business rates rise by £2351.00, per year without notice. Believe me there are overpaid under-worked in Government at all levels in this country, mainly because decent fold don't want to be associated with them. Rant over!

PS: read up the rules on Stress Leave, it's so critical to them that they book it in advance!
CC higher echelon pay does need addressing and they do need to be held accountable - down to you and others who vote in the end.

I agree it's not a football match. More like 3 dimensional chess. Do you wish to play?
'Do I wish to play?' I know you're heavily invested in this thread but you do realise that discussing this issue on an Army-themed website does not make one a 'player' in the Brexit negotiations?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I was in Germany last month, it looked quite f......d to me, it was cold and I needed to buy a pair of gloves, the girl behind the counter didn't blush to offer me a pair of £12 gloves for 195 Euros. I did without gloves and watched a demonstration of a column of immigrants passing under the Brandenburg gate calling out 'Freedom' in German, whether they wanted more of it or were celebrating their new found freedom I don't know? The lovely old very large barracks (Brooke and Wavell) in Spandau are packed to utter capacity with immigrants. The main occupation of the younger among them, seems to be that of climbing on skips about the roads and throwing stuff out of them onto the pavement while looking for goodies...The wheeley bins outside restaurants were getting special attention....what's this to do with Brexit: nothing other than that I found it disturbing, from the once clean, tidy, orderly Germany that I once knew! Merkel has a lot to answer for.
Been in and out of Berlin quite regularly. People who come over ‘collecting for the disabled’ usually get shorter shrift than usual.

Agressive begging has been usually young and male, even if they’re German they still count as foreign. Apart from a nod as they lift the empty water bottle to get the deposit on it. I’ve only had any bother with one, he didn’t believe I had no money.
(I’d 50 cents for the loo)
Maybe it’s entirely dependent on where you are in Germany or Berlin. Very few cops about then all of a sudden, van loads turn up and whatever is on the street, is gone.

But then again I’ve only stopped off in Berlin in the last 5 years or so. And I’ve no idea what things were like beforehand.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I wouldn't. I'm not retarded enough to view this process like a football match - the outcome across the spectrum of issues won't be apparent for years and I've got better things to do than cheer every favourable statistic and groan at anything adverse.
The combination of 24 hour news channels which have to fill the hours somehow, program researchers which don't really understand the issues and cut and paste information together and newsreaders who just vapidly read from an auto-cue.

Not to mention those newspapers that have cut their staff to the bone and now also rely on 'cut and paste' rather than research and questioning what they've been told.

News produced by the hard of thinking....

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The combination of 24 hour news channels which have to fill the hours somehow, program researchers which don't really understand the issues and cut and paste information together and newsreaders who just vapidly read from an auto-cue.

Not to mention those newspapers that have cut their staff to the bone and now also rely on 'cut and paste' rather than research and questioning what they've been told.

News produced by the hard of thinking....

Wordsmith
TelePrompTer or auto cue is as old as mass market television. And the news has always the most expensive but to produce. They are doing it on the cheap, it is suffering.

But it’s usually only produced by the ‘hard of thinking’ when people don’t agree with the output or the line taken.

Otherwise it’s considered well written and finely crafted. Specially for @Auld-Yin who was saying yesterday that newspaper people only write what the proprietor approves of.

This being the pro remain Times, this am
Brexit bashing is an attempt to stifle free speech

I admire the quote from Junker..... Mr Juncker said an increase in EU budget contributions was equivalent to a cup of coffee per day per citizen.
Perhaps removing his daily tipple intake would make him think less obnoxiously or arrogantly.

Never mind the proposed plastic tax and other suggestions will replace the EU black hole, I guess Brussels will still continue to agree on budget reforms after all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
And Gove, no more subsidies for farmers. They’ll be able to farm britishly and without the dark interfering hand of Brussels.

No doubt they will be able to continue fish kills and slurry dumps

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
See we're all going to die of cancer after we leave the EU.

David Davis dismisses 'dystopian' Brexit theory as Brussels starts new Project Fear with cancer warning
Brussels has launched its own version of Project Fear by suggesting British workers will be at a higher risk of cancer as a result ofBrexit.

A European Commission briefing paper claims the UK could dilute health and safety laws in an attempt to “lower production costs”, which would result in “higher exposure to chemicals and carcinogens”.

David Davis, the Brexit Secretary, is irritated by the false claims and will on Tuesday hit back at them by rubbishing the idea that post-Brexit Britain will be a “dystopian” world akin to the Mad Max films.
As I've said all along, the EU is cr*pping itself at the possibility of a low tax/low regulation UK . That will (longer term) result in UK firms prospering at the expense of the more taxed and regulated EU firms. It will also result in pressure from those firms for the EU to cut back on tax and regulation - which means less Brussels.

Note that cutting back on regulation does not mean binning them - it means getting rid of the gold plating so that what is left is the minimum required to do the job eficiently.

Companies that spend less money on conforming to unnecessary regulations make more profits and can invest more money in updating their equipment/staff's skill sets.

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
TelePrompTer or auto cue is as old as mass market television. And the news has always the most expensive but to produce. They are doing it on the cheap, it is suffering.

But it’s usually only produced by the ‘hard of thinking’ when people don’t agree with the output or the line taken.

Otherwise it’s considered well written and finely crafted. Specially for @Auld-Yin who was saying yesterday that newspaper people only write what the proprietor approves of.

This being the pro remain Times, this am
Brexit bashing is an attempt to stifle free speech
Maybe this is a sign that Brexit is starting to be accepted and we are moving towards some support for the UK rather than the constant UK bashing by much of the media. A change of tone is very welcome.

Just a note on the stance of the Times, from the Huff Post at the time of the referendum.

The Times backed a vote to remain in the EU just three days after its fellow Murdoch-owned paper The Sun revealed its support for a Brexit. Commenters pointed out this means Murdoch can call victory either way" as his papers have picked opposing sides.
I think my call that the Times has supported Remain is sound and the seeming change of heart welcomed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470