Brexit Phase Two - Trade

That explains it. Stupid electorate how can you say such a thing. As has been regularly pointed out here, our electorate are well read, literate, politically aware and fully conversant with all the issues.

And they think Corbyn is a viable proposition. It just goes to show how bad things are.
Nope, it will just be the stupid ones who get him elected, none of whom voted for Brexit....no sireeeeee.
If only some had brought up unintended consequences.....

What's concerned me most is the low standard of debate/analysis from both sides in this argument. As I've said before, both politicians and political commentators seems to be doing the electorate a disservice by often reducing the debate to a 'Janet and John' level without having a more nuanced discussion.

I don't think much of people on both sides of the argument who adopt a 'four legs good, two legs bad' approach to the debate. This is the single most significant political change for a generation - the UK public have a right to expect a more analytical/less hysterical approach from both sides - they're not getting it.

Wordsmith
Sure champ.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/brexit-negotiations.265051/page-861#post-8244689

Maybe due to the negotiations moving into the negotiating room rather than being dangled in the media.

The reporting for the past 18 months had been on the adversarial comments, especially from Barnier, but not him exclusively. Now that the negotiations appear to be on a smoother path with both sides talking to each other rather than shouting in the press, the media have stopped reporting much of it. To their eyes, good negotiations, carried out in mutual respect does not make good reportage. My heart pumps purple pish for them.

I for one am glad that the negotiations appear t
You'll be crying in March

I read in the paper today that the Italians have another word for 'manana' but their word doesn't express so much urgency.

Last edited:
Just to show some of the inherent problems in the EU.

'Italians First': Anti-immigrant sentiment becomes the focus of country's election

Just to pick up on some of the points from this article:

1) High profile deportation of immigrants will just serve to highlight the many millions of them elsewhere in the EU.
2) How the hell has Silvio Berlusconi made a comeback? His shenanigans last time he was in office would have ended his political career in many European countries.
3) 5SM - an anti-EU and anti-euro party - may well end up holding the balance of power.
4) Although not mentioned in this article, Italy has plans to game the euro for its own benefit - much like the Germans have done for years. Which will do the euro more favours.

Italy looks set to become a problem child for Brussels whoever wins the upcoming GE in March.

Wordsmith
So, you think the debate isn't up to much and then immediately after that start droning on about Italy?

You'd need to balance the Brexit shock delivered in 2016 with the collective decision in 2017 to impose a hung Parliament.
More to do with May's inadequacies than anything else. She went into the campaign with a 20 point lead over Corbyn and managed to blow it by disappearing from view whenever there was trouble in the campaign. That included ducking out of the last TV debate - which looked weak, stupid and I've always thought cost her half a dozen marginals when it influenced undecided voters in those seats.

Wordsmith
A combination of poor decision’s and advice from her former advisers led to squandered lead and disastrous snap GE....resulting in the current hung parliament.

I’d certainly say avoiding the TV debates were a factor, however I’m sure she’s more than capable of taking the criticism in that element, also, she’s clearly out of her comfort zone so not appearing was the best of the worst options.

Another test for PMTM will be the May elections.....the Tories are certain to take ‘some’ losses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
More wishful thinking, I'm afraid. HMG still hasn't worked out what it wants. That's why they're having a team building day at Chequers this Thursday.

Labour may or may not have a strategy, either, but that also will be revealed in a few days.
The team building day is more likely how to put you and your ilk back in their box!

I thought it would become evident, even to you, that the government don't want and won't give out their position prior to laying it on the negotiating table.

The team building day is more likely how to put you and your ilk back in their box!

I thought it would become evident, even to you, that the government don't want and won't give out their position prior to laying it on the negotiating table.
That's because they haven't yet got one which is why the Civil Service is running the show.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

Curious, may be they’ll have something by next week. A position, one of those fancy strategy things to deal with this new fangled Brexit idea.
That would be a start.

Edit. Like what he said

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
A combination of poor decision’s and advice from her former advisers led to squandered lead and disastrous snap GE....resulting in the current hung parliament.
And why May is toast after the Brexit deal is signed. The Tory party know she can't win against Corbyn, who despite having moon-howling policies, is clearly speaking from the heart when he advocates them.

I suspect that in April or May or next year, she'll be offered the mess Webley and a glass of whisky. Her successor is likely to be from the Brexit supporting wing of the party - there'll be no point in appointing a 'remainer' once we're outside of the EU. And they'll have 2 years to settle into the job before the next GE.

I think the leadership election will be cathartic for the Tories and they'll go relatively united into the next election with a more convincing leader and a clearer set of policies. Whether that will be enough in the face of an electorate suffering the inevitable fatigue of 12 years of Tory government remains to be seen.

wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm not but I do like to keep up to date with developments (or rather the lack of them).
And there was you coming out with what seemed such authoritive statements.

Must be how you bluffed your career ;)

And there was you coming out with what seemed such authoritive statements.

Must be how you bluffed your career ;)

Maybe. If you think the Cabinet has hatched out some secret plot and the Civil Service is not seeking to stop the show falling over then I suspect you're in for a rude awakening.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470