Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thank you- in other words a fait accompli as I've pointed out.

When they alter their timetable to show Amsterdam I'll believe it. You can buy tickets to London from Amsterdam, and always could, I bought tickets to Hamburg. It involved Eurostar, Thalys and ICE. French have always viewed the Eurostar as a Pan european and domestic service. The Belgians have facilities under the Sandgatte treaty as well as the CTA channel tunnel act. However running a through train has often been mentioned and dropped as the timings are not competititive with air. The same happened on the Proposal to run it from Birmingham. So to recap- you can buy tickets to anywhere from St P or anywhere else it just won't be a through service.
I've only ever done the boat/train from Liverpool St via Harwich to The Hook and then Amsterdam.

What's concerned me most is the low standard of debate/analysis from both sides in this argument. As I've said before, both politicians and political commentators seems to be doing the electorate a disservice by often reducing the debate to a 'Janet and John' level without having a more nuanced discussion.

I don't think much of people on both sides of the argument who adopt a 'four legs good, two legs bad' approach to the debate. This is the single most significant political change for a generation - the UK public have a right to expect a more analytical/less hysterical approach from both sides - they're not getting it.

Wordsmith
Look on the bright side - better Janet and John than absolutely no worthwhile information, which is where we were at the time of the referendum. At least we know the main issues to be addressed now and have some grasp of the difficulties / opportunities, even if there's so much noise on such complex subjects that it's nigh on impossible to get to grips with the all the detail that will make or break the venture.

Look on the bright side - better Janet and John than absolutely no worthwhile information, which is where we were at the time of the referendum. At least we know the main issues to be addressed now and have some grasp of the difficulties / opportunities, even if there's so much noise on such complex subjects that it's nigh on impossible to get to grips with the all the detail that will make or break the venture.
So we'll overlook the lies of Parliament then?

[QUOTE="Wordsmith, post: 8427170, member: 52171"
2) How the hell has Silvio Berlusconi made a comeback? His shenanigans last time he was in office would have ended his political career in many European countries.

Wordsmith[/QUOTE]

Substitute Keith Vaz or Peter Mandelson for Berlusconi and then tell me how many political careers should have ended.

2) How the hell has Silvio Berlusconi made a comeback? His shenanigans last time he was in office would have ended his political career in many European countries.

Wordsmith
How?

Easy…

Despite the wobblers here claims, the EU is pretty deeply resented in much of Europe. You wont find any cheerleaders for it in Italy that has seen a decade of stagnation and decline.

Gotta love the EU, putting the right wing it hoped to bury once and for all back on the centre stage.
Even Il Duce has been rehabilitated'

t-shirt-mussolini-duce-dux-925486325_ML.jpg

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Maybe due to the negotiations moving into the negotiating room rather than being dangled in the media.

The reporting for the past 18 months had been on the adversarial comments, especially from Barnier, but not him exclusively. Now that the negotiations appear to be on a smoother path with both sides talking to each other rather than shouting in the press, the media have stopped reporting much of it. To their eyes, good negotiations, carried out in mutual respect does not make good reportage. My heart pumps purple pish for them.

I for one am glad that the negotiations appear to be settling down to real negotiation. I don't need a constant stream of newspaper reports to bolster my resolve.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Substitute Keith Vaz or Peter Mandelson for Berlusconi and then tell me how many political careers should have ended.
Mandleson's career was eventually ended after one scandal too many. I marvel at Vaz's Teflon coating.

I presume Berlusconi is being supported by Trump on the grounds there'll be at least one political leader with an even more stupid hairstyle than his.

Wordsmith :x

How?

Easy…

Despite the wobblers here claims, the EU is pretty deeply resented in much of Europe. You wont find any cheerleaders for it in Italy that has seen a decade of stagnation and decline.

Gotta love the EU, putting the right wing it hoped to bury once and for all back on the centre stage.
Even Il Duce has been rehabilitated'

View attachment 322936
How droll

You are stuck in the 1930's because you have as much imagination as the vegetable you inherited your defective genes from

Mandleson's career was eventually ended after one scandal too many. I marvel at Vaz's Teflon coating.

I presume Berlusconi is being supported by Trump on the grounds there'll be at least one political leader with an even more stupid hairstyle than his.

Wordsmith :x
Vas will probably come back so he can chair the committee into the Oxfam scandal?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I for one am glad that the negotiations appear to be settling down to real negotiation. I don't need a constant stream of newspaper reports to bolster my resolve.
As I've said before, the mutual value of trade between the EU and the UK far outweighs the tantrums being thrown by Barnier et al. And the grown-ups behind the scenes have clearly smacked him round the head and told him to grow up.

The UK flourishing outside of the EU and proving a catalyst for change within the EU is a hypothetical possibility that might not become a problem for a decade. A real time economic impact from a badly handled Brexit could hurt both sides pretty immediately. As such, I expect a fudge that satisfies no one, but which both sides can live with.

Wordsmith

Last edited:
Maybe due to the negotiations moving into the negotiating room rather than being dangled in the media.

The reporting for the past 18 months had been on the adversarial comments, especially from Barnier, but not him exclusively. Now that the negotiations appear to be on a smoother path with both sides talking to each other rather than shouting in the press, the media have stopped reporting much of it. To their eyes, good negotiations, carried out in mutual respect does not make good reportage. My heart pumps purple pish for them.

More wishful thinking, I'm afraid. HMG still hasn't worked out what it wants. That's why they're having a team building day at Chequers this Thursday.

Labour may or may not have a strategy, either, but that also will be revealed in a few days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470