Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

I still think this geezer is pretty spot on.

I enjoy the speech on several levels. Including the 'remaine r coming to terms with being on the power's team'.
Thanks TT a really good Ted Talk that has reaffirmed why I voted to leave. I see a big world out there and I want us the UK to be a part of it and not just shackled to a specific political ideology.

Lets go out and trade freely with the world and be the best we can be and ensure that the wealth is of benifit to all and not an elite few.

I am not denying it will be hard but all the things that are worthwhile are never easy to achieve.

Tippy tapping from my S8.

One them got a job paying £100k. Btw, I never did an In-Service degree. I didn't need to, I was already a graduate when I joined.

That's good but my point still stands that most places will not accept an in-service degree. For one, unless they also have a-levels and GCSEs they would not get accepted for many graduate positions.

And again the Aldi/Lidl barometer is appropriate because they pay the same or even more than what a lot of in service degree holders would have been earning at the point they left - therefore its probably the only grad scheme they would consider.

It is a truly bizarre obsession believing that being a manager for a German discounter is an incredible achievement. It's laudable but it is hardly incredible.
I never said it's an achievement. How strange. I mean, you often post strange things, but this is up there with the strangest.

Momentarily distracts from the point that yes, in service degrees are not widely accepted in the real world though.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have changed and now after the past week and the remainers finally moving into the open (one wishes for a FOO)... I am back to the tories :(
This ain't party politics, which has been the main problem as that is exactly what the HofC have done.

I am assuming from your post you voted Remain but now want Leave?

Every time that I think that there is hope for our Crustacean chum, he comes out with something bone like outranking someone in civilian strasse.
It’s always amusing listening to the educated class cat fights over their degrees and university.

Meow! I have a better degree than you!

MEh, you earn just £3k p/a more than me and live alone in a part ownership housing association flat

Strange that someone can be a supermarket manager without being a graduate? If you re-read my post, you will kindly note that I wasn't replying to you.

If you notice my point I was specifically talking about graduate schemes. As I mentioned the Aldi/Lidl one is the only one I know of that pays a starting salary similar to what someone who got an in-service degree would have earned; hence why I used it as an example. But sure, lets go PWC instead. Know anyone with an in service degree who used it to get a graduate job with PWC?

And from what I recall of a friend who did that scheme, she was in charge of five stores, not the one.

But this is relative. I said an in service degree will not be recongised in the majority of graduate jobs outside - you gave a niche, ungeneralizable example, but claim it is the norm and then got upset when I questioned you. No snobbery, just a genuine question about the value of the in-service qualifications that has been done to death on these boards, and elsewhere.

You are pathetic really. I thought better of you, too.

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps some of the Eleven might panic and try to get themselves adopted as Lib candidates?
The timing is puzzling. None of them have much hope of retaining their seats in a GE, yet the two things that could result in an early GE are Brexit being halted or Corbyn trying and succeeding in another vote of no confidence.

In fact, if Corbyn has any political smarts, he'll wait another couple of weeks to see if anyone joins the Independent Group then slap in another vote of no confidence. That'll put them on the horns of a dilemma - do they vote against the government, bring it down and promptly lose their seats in a GE? You can bet your bottom dollar that both Labour and the Tories will be gunning for their respective defecting MP's in any GE.

If they do vote, I'll bet the independent Group splits right down the middle. The Labour members will vote against the government. Will the three Tories do so in the knowledge that they might let in a Labour government from which they're ideologically poles apart? I suspect they'll abstain - and then it'll be happy families in the Independent Group.

In any event, the only thing uniting them seems to be a hatred of Brexit. If we Brexit as expected next month, they they'll be unable to agree a common set of policies. That will leave the three Tories dangling in mid-air as the most obvious source of recruits for the Group are more disaffected Labour MP's - and the best way of attracting those is to hoof the Tory MP's into the outer darkness.

I could understand the group being formed after immediately after Brexit. There's sure to be economic turbulence for some months and they could have played the "we tried and failed to stop Brexit - now its time to form a new party for the good of the country" card. But 6 weeks before Brexit looks like monumentally stupid timing as the issue they're making their stand on bids fair to go ahead.

I wonder if this was/is another failed attempt to stop Brexit and more MP's were meant to join the band wagon. We'll know in a few days. If there are only one or two more defections, the Independent Group are going to look a right bunch of chimps.

Wordsmith

I never said it's an achievement. How strange. I mean, you often post strange things, but this is up there with the strangest.

Momentarily distracts from the point that yes, in service degrees are not widely accepted in the real world though.
Before I wade in could you just give me your definition of an "in service degree"?

If you notice my point I was specifically talking about graduate schemes. As I mentioned the Aldi/Lidl one is the only one I know of that pays a starting salary similar to what someone who got an in-service degree would have earned; hence why I used it as an example.

And from what I recall of a friend who did that scheme, she was in charge of five stores, not the one.

But this is relative. I said an in service degree will not be recongised in the majority of graduate jobs outside - you gave a niche, ungeneralizable example, but claim it is the norm and then got upset when I questioned you.

A bit pathetic really. I thought better of you, too.
The person earning £100k was an ex-RA LE Capt, btw. That was the generic example. Your original contention that an In-Service degree renders someone unemployable in the private sector is bollocks. As for thinking better of me, get over yourself. I neither want nor need your approbation.

The person earning £100k was an ex-RA LE Capt, btw. That was the generic example. Your original contention that an In-Service renders someone unemployable in the private sector is bollocks. As for thinking better of me, get over yourself. I neither want nor need your approbation.

I never said service renders them unemployable, I said an in-service degree will not be accepted by the majority of private sector employers as adequate for a graduate position. You gave niche examples that also included their experience was the important factor. I then asked you if this generalised to other areas, and it doesn't- so you got upset because I showed you up to be merely a more eloquent version of Meerkatz. Absolutely pathetic.

Cannot defend your position beyond one example of someone who was also a retired commissioned officer so then you resort to ad-homs, rather than consider I may have a point.

Cannot admit you are wrong and now you start to lie. As I said, I thought better of you too.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
What is all of this bollocks about degrees? Well done, AL, for getting a degree and a job out of it in the field you wanted, but there are plenty of other degree candidates that never get the chance to practice in their degree field, a degree isn't the be all and end all of working life. I know of one person who took their degree to Masters level, all spent in academia, got a job in the real world and was a basket case after 4 months due to having nil experience in the real world (apart from drinking and partying at Uni)and had to retreat back to the parental home to sit in a corner to carry on wobbling, goes to show that degrees aren't everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 1705
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 138