Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
The contempt fot the working man

Not contempt - sadness that some people believe stacking books in a library is aspirational. It's a problem that some people think certain jobs are not for people like them, and this style of thinking gets passed down from generation-to-generation, when really, everyone has unlimited potential.

I saw this in my own family who couldn't understand why I wanted to go to university after leaving the army etc. A shame really.

The Chinese will always attend UK universities - even the universities are the lowest end of the league table (out of 123) will attract them. We have a great reputation for education as well as science.

Just a shame some people want to drag the UK out of the EU science program which puts our reputation at risk, because people who never studied beyond GCSE level think they know more than the head of the Royal Society, director the Wellcome Trust etc, in what is required to conduct good science.
Sounds like all these intelligent types should have screwed the nut for their less academically recognised fellow men.

Should be easy for such intellectual colossii.

Unless they were dumb enough to forget that their vote is worth the same, regardless of financial worth, academic qualification or fame...

The Chinese will always attend UK universities - even the universities are the lowest end of the league table (out of 123) will attract them. We have a great reputation for education as well as science.

Just a shame some people want to drag the UK out of the EU science program which puts our reputation at risk, and think they know better than the director of the Wellcome Trust, Royal Society etc, in what is required to conduct good science.
Do you know where Wellcome trust gets a lot of it’s funding from?

Not contempt - sadness that some people believe stacking books in a library is aspirational. It's a problem that some people think certain jobs are not for people like them, and this style of thinking gets passed down from generation-to-generation, when really, everyone has unlimited potential.

I saw this in my own family who couldn't understand why I wanted to go to university after leaving the army etc. A shame really.
I disagree.... Luck is important for those who hail from lower down the income scale. Of course, you can improve you luck by making good choices and even taking risks.... But equally, choices and risks can go the other way and lower down that scale, you have less chance to muck things up and turn it around.

Your own family thought they were right and meant well and its best to leave it at that.

Nice - my father owned a property company in the past. He just did the repairs and maintenance on the houses though - contracted for around 100,000 of them all over London. Personally wouldn't ever wish to get that deep into it, as I don't think the hours he worked was worth it despite the monetary gain - but a few will be nice.

You should re-watch it. There is a scene where one of the rather educated, eloquent, and charming inmates sends one of the more gammony screws into apocalyptic meltdown when he points out that said screw has a long chain reflecting his service, but has been surpassed by many of his colleagues over the years.

Perhaps you never move on past the greenhouse scene though.
Used to be a "screw", not any more.
As I said, not relevant.

Tory MPs Heidi Allen, Anna Soubry and Sarah Wollaston leave party and join ex-Labour Independents

Very much agreed - Soubry is toxic, and detracts from what initially appereared to be a 'principled' breakaway group. I cannot see them getting anywhere far with the self-serving single-issue (brexit) Conservative defections
I am not so sure; as the breakaway group that faces in different directions, could be a vote winner.. The lib dems up until the coalition 2010, had that in their playbook for decades. They are off and running with 14% of the vote in the most recent poll, which is impressive for a brand new grouping.

Also I would add, this is her last chance for a political career and if she can't make it work. The tories won't want her back and she really would be finished.

I am not so sure; as the breakaway group that faces in different directions, could be a vote winner.. The lib dems up until the coalition 2010, had that in their playbook for decades. They are off and running with 14% of the vote in the most recent poll, which is impressive for a brand new grouping.

Also I would add, this is her last chance for a political career and if she can't make it work. The tories won't want her back and she really would be finished.
IMO they were stuffed when the Brexit Remain agenda for some of them came to the fore: Nothing new, just a different name masquerading as a principled group of people. Soubry and Umunna - principled? My arrse they are

amusing-lobster, is your name Rachman by any chance? I mean, 100,000 houses! Wow.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wonder if there are any Arrsers who have changed their voting intentions since 2016?

I certainly haven't and indeed have had my decision strengthened by the intransigence of the EU

Unfortunately, they get elected to Parliament by their constituents, most of whom wouldn't piss in 'em if they were on fire, now.

I would assume that the 14% is the result of another nationwide mickey mouse poll, rather than polling their popularity where it counts........in their constituencies, where most people voted to leave ?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Two things should cheer you up:-
1. Having said I wouldn't vote conservative again - now this remainer party is out in the open. They will get my vote.
2. The Polling is interesting and as you said in your earlier posting. TM has a lot going for her, if she really does this time animate herself and actually push for a brexit based on the malt whatever compromise.
I suspect May's ideal scenario is:
  1. Brexit being stopped by the opposition parties - that relieves her of the problem for a short time.
  2. A win in a single issue GE: "The Tories are the only party that can deliver Brexit".
  3. Going back to the EU with a working majority and getting the backstop time limited or removed.
May will then step down as PM and leave her successor to deal with the far larger problem of negotiating a FTA with the EU. In effect she's continued to run away from problems, but in a less discernible way.

Wordsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 1706
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 138