Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s a great post. He basically sums up the main things most Brits find distasteful about the American stereotype, which is what Trump is - a few years ago if you asked the average Brit to come up with an American caricature, Tru.mp is what they would come up with.
I don't dislike Trump, however what was amusing was the Sainted Guru Murthy on C4 last night ( for it was he) asked some guest in respect of the current impasse if he was worried about the failure of democracy, only to be slapped down saying that (the respondent) was more upbeat about it than before. Similarly here, it seem the only organisation that is having a problem is the EU. For someone like GM to ask a question like that when discussion is as robust as it is it's worth remembering that the recent History of France Germany Spain and Italy is nothing to write home about. EU Politicians are cast from the same mould.

I don't dislike Trump, however what was amusing was the Sainted Guru Murthy on C4 last night ( for it was he) asked some guest in respect of the current impasse if he was worried about the failure of democracy, only to be slapped down saying that (the respondent) was more upbeat about it than before. Similarly here, it seem the only organisation that is having a problem is the EU. For someone like GM to ask a question like that when discussion is as robust as it is it's worth remembering that the recent History of France Germany Spain and Italy is nothing to write home about. EU Politicians are cast from the same mould.

I think all politicians are from the same mould. I think it’s rare you get a politician who is really for the people. I think some of the fringe people perhaps like Caroline Lucas and some members of the SNP/Plaid but otherwise I think they just see it as a career choice.

It was hardly a retail bank. Had a few shopfronts, yes, but the retail bank wasn't "sexy" enough for the Scottish mafia (RBS, Brown, Darling). It was also massively weakened by the ill-fated (and universally derided) purchase of ABN.
Which if I recall brown's adviser called correctly that it was the wrong move and was sacked for it.

I think all politicians are from the same mould. I think it’s rare you get a politician who is really for the people. I think some of the fringe people perhaps like Caroline Lucas and some members of the SNP/Plaid but otherwise I think they just see it as a career choice.
Some may start out to be well meaning but once their noses are in the trough they become like the rest of them, no matter what party.

Some may start out to be well meaning but once their noses are in the trough they become like the rest of them, no matter what party.

Power currupts. I think so - some people probably go in with good intentions but then get sucked into the bubble.

I saw one on Facebook claim he deserved his salary and an increase because it compensates for what he could earn in another career. The guy honestly believes outside of parliament he would be on 70k. He career before politics was as a local newspaper hack.

Last edited:
I think its deeper than that... Firstly, the electorate can be a very ungrateful rabble at times and as such politicians over time come to have I suspect a certain level of contempt (think army versus civvie).

Secondly, politics is still a hierarchy and requires a lot of sublimation of your own opinions and over time psychologically that has an effect (think of a friend who becomes a boss and changes over time).

Finally, what can be achieved requires money and its that which corrupts everything.

I love the quote from the un named Eu state ambassador that it was due to TMs “ intransigence “.
The ,our way or the highway “negotiating “ ( sic) position , seems to be causing some bottles to twitch now.Well f*ckem and the horse they rode in on.

Quite.

I would ask just one question of these open and honest ( :oops::oops: ) EU fcukwits.

Why are you so scared to apply a time limit or UK initiated withdrawal from your precious backstop ?

I hear the sound of 100's of bottles crashing loudly.

Quite.

I would ask just one question of these open and honest ( :oops::oops: ) EU fcukwits.

Why are you so scared to apply a time limit or UK initiated withdrawal from your precious backstop ?

Perhaps you should consider, how much has TM and her civil service demanded a time limit ?? publically, they may have mentioned it, but I am not convinced they have made it into a Danzig OR Else type option.

Perhaps you should consider, how much has TM and her civil service demanded a time limit ?? publically, they may have mentioned it, but I am not convinced they have made it into a Danzig OR Else type option.
Neither you or I know what has been said behind closed doors. We are all aware what has been said in the media.

After defeats in Parliament, UK politicians publicly stating that they would support the WA if the backstop was time limited, with 41 days to go to Endex, I am sure that it has been more than mentioned. I would be very surprised if it has not been discussed to death in the EU.

Having said that. I am still of the opinion that the EU, even with 41 days to go are still clinging to some sort of hope that they can keep the UK under the control of Brussels and under the jurisdiction of the ECJ.

They need all the help that they can get. The US is starting to turn the screw

U.S. tells European Union to recognize Guaido as Venezuela president | Reuters

Pence says time has come for EU to withdraw from Iran nuclear deal | Reuters

It appears Macron is going to blink first and agree to time limit the Backstop.

Probably because his government won't survive Hard Brexit with the Yellow Jacket protest going on in the background
Looks like the WA would get through Parliament with a time limited Backstop

The EU knows it doesn't matter how much they pressurise May, Parliament must agree and they have little leaverage there at the moment

It was discussed on Monday, according to the article

Barnier, who will meet Corbyn on Thursday, also told diplomats that during a dinner with Stephen Barclay, the Brexit secretary, on Monday, the British cabinet minister had pressed the need for a legal guarantee of being able to exit the backstop or a time-limit on the customs union it envisages.

Power currupts. I think so - some people probably go in with good intentions but then get sucked into the bubble.

I saw one on Facebook claim he deserved his salary and an increase because it compensates for what he could earn in another career. The guy honestly believes outside of parliament he would be on 70k. He career before politics was as a local newspaper hack.
I was on 42K as a Fleet Street Defence Correspondent - in 1991!
Hack plus former MP: he may well be right.

David Davis was talking to Nick Robinson on his podcast and claiming he'd be earning half a million a year in private industry

Quite.

Because of the unstable nature of UK politics and the fact they don't seem to trust us.

A time limited backstop is worthless

Oh yes definitely for the people! yers:rolleyes:. If the greens get enough momentum not to mention brainwashed kiddies, I’m sure their well thought out policies will return us to caveman status tout suite. The fact that uncontrollable volcanic activity has been glossed over. Now where was someone walking around with a bin to collect all the mobiles, i phones, laptops from the little paragons? The concept of actually writing a missive and the actually walking. To the post box might get them thinking twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 1232
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 138