Brexit Phase Two - Trade

The UK gov are also asking for PhDs to work as statisticians ... Starting on 25k a year in Edinburgh (and 28k for the next level up). One of my old lab mates left academia after his PhD and was on 50k after 9 months, crunching numbers for one of the gambling companies. A year or so after that he was contracting for 300 a day for banks and the like. Even the NHS pay 30-32k starting salary when recruiting PhDs for that role. No idea how they expect to recruit people when they are paying far below industry rates and even around 8-12k less than academia (and at least in academia you are free to set you own schedule, including where you work, and set your own projects etc).
Are they actually serious with the pay or taking the piss, literally? You can be bar staff or a shop assistant and get more.

Are they actually serious with the pay or taking the piss, literally? You can be bar staff or a shop assistant and get more.
The ones in Ed appear to have gone. The ones on the usual CS start on even less - 22k (below):

And granted salaries are usually low when you first move into a field, but I doubt year-for-year the CS is going to match the salary that will be earned in industry.

Statistical Officer (StO) across the GSS
Government Statistical Service
Closing date: 17 Feb 2019
Return to search results

Reference number
Salary
National minimum £21,950/ London minimum 24,514

Qualifications
You should have, or hope to obtain by September 2019 one of the following:

A first or second class honours degree in a subject containing formal statistical training (e.g. Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Sciences, Business Studies, Psychology, Geography Data Science or similar); or
A higher degree, e.g. an MSc or PhD, in a subject containing formal statistical training (e.g. Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Sciences, Business Studies, Data Science, Psychology, Geography or similar).

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#
Yet, at the time when I pointed that out, you yourself said that it was all about the Brexit policy and was only about us leaving. I did say, at the time again, I wouldn't vote for Labour (which I never have done) because there was more to a GE than Brexit, like the economy, defence, transport and many other things.
You, on the other hand, responded that that GE was overwhelmingly about Brexit and the most important thing and was a mandate for May to carry it out.
Still, it was nearly 2 years ago.
Nice to see that you are tracking me. That is indeed the case and at the time that is how I, and I think most of the country, felt about the GE. As has been said on many occasions, both on this site, and in parliament, both major parties went on a Brexit theme and both said their aim was brexit - giving parliament with some 500 or so MPs who were elected on a brexit manifesto - that has gone well hasn't it?

The WA that May is trying, and failing, to sell to everyone does not take us out of the EU therefore is not brexit.

You on the other hand have been pushing against brexit which is against the wishes of the electorate in both the referendum and GE, why? After the next GE should all MPs ignore the result and just kick off on their own agenda?

Now you can go back and pick up posts of mine from years ago - you must lead an extremely sad life - but at the end of the day Brexit means leaving the EU and we will !

You also forgot to mention that unlike MPs, MEPs don’t represent consistent constituency size.

The U.K. has 1 MEP for 860k per population.

Malta has 1 MEP for 76k per population.

Fortunately, as the EU has a parliament doesn’t follow a parliamentary system that we recognise, this democratic deficit is academic as the laws of the EU are made up by unelected and unaccountable technocrats.
apparently that makes the eu more democratic...

Look at the graph. You will spot the issue unless you are thick as shit. EU is not a state and tags zero for national barriers to trade. We know they are huge in the MS.

Try again.
Sweet baby Jesus...are you blind as well as a skip licker? There isn't a "national barriers to trade" part of it. Are you on crack again?

Is that £900 before or after the £4000 (or whatever the figure was) that households were going to be worse off if we voted leave?
Your comprehension skills are as good as the flashing (dull) blade's champ.

Nice to see that you are tracking me. That is indeed the case and at the time that is how I, and I think most of the country, felt about the GE. As has been said on many occasions, both on this site, and in parliament, both major parties went on a Brexit theme and both said their aim was brexit - giving parliament with some 500 or so MPs who were elected on a brexit manifesto - that has gone well hasn't it?

The WA that May is trying, and failing, to sell to everyone does not take us out of the EU therefore is not brexit.

You on the other hand have been pushing against brexit which is against the wishes of the electorate in both the referendum and GE, why? After the next GE should all MPs ignore the result and just kick off on their own agenda?

Now you can go back and pick up posts of mine from years ago - you must lead an extremely sad life - but at the end of the day Brexit means leaving the EU and we will !
Not picking up posts but I do remember them. I may be 70 on Saturday but my memory is still OK, thank you.
You are the one who said the GE was not about Brexit but you fibbed (naughty little man).

I think leaving the EU will be a disaster for the UK. You don't. I accept your POV but please don't say things like "you must lead an extremely sad life" because it demeans your sometimes good posts.
I very rarely even look at the Brexit posts anymore because of the obsessive loons (on both sides, I may add).

My life is far from sad, thank you very much. Others on here who permasend from early in the morning to very, very late at night on the other hand.........................

The ones in Ed appear to have gone. The ones on the usual CS start on even less - 22k (below):

And granted salaries are usually low when you first move into a field, but I doubt year-for-year the CS is going to match the salary that will be earned in industry.

Statistical Officer (StO) across the GSS
Government Statistical Service
Closing date: 17 Feb 2019
Return to search results

Reference number
Salary
National minimum £21,950/ London minimum 24,514

Qualifications
You should have, or hope to obtain by September 2019 one of the following:

A first or second class honours degree in a subject containing formal statistical training (e.g. Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Sciences, Business Studies, Psychology, Geography Data Science or similar); or
A higher degree, e.g. an MSc or PhD, in a subject containing formal statistical training (e.g. Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Sciences, Business Studies, Data Science, Psychology, Geography or similar).
That is f-ing crazy. Why would anyone want to even go into this role? There are literally a zillion positions out there which pay way way more than this for someone with this background.

Sometimes, the UK, for all it's "advanced OECD" country status does seem so backward for STEM people. I mean I have friends who are just graduating from Uni in the U.S discussing which 80/90k+ offer they should be taking.

Really? Why on earth didn't they say that at the referendum and if both major parties agreed that why did they allow a clear binary choice?
We are going over old ground.

That binary choice was not defined. What you believed it to be was what you believed it to be, nothing more.

It couldn't be defined because there was no plan. Wordsmith keeps reminding us of this, and the fact that there was no responsibility on the Leave campaign to formulate a plan. TBF, he has also consistently stated that vote remain was also ill defined, as the EU is evolving.

Given the above, there are umpteen ways of defining Brexit. TM's way is one, so is JC's, and Sturgeon's is another. You may not like the WA, but that is an opinion, to say it is not a form of Brexit is factually incorrect. Similarly to describe other Brexiteers as Remainers, because they hold a different view
Is silly dogma.

The No Deal Brexit is a minority view, not shared by Parliament, Business, or the majority of the public.

The Scottish referendum had the SNP plan for independence including the following; keeping the £, keeping the Bank of England, open border with rest of UK, frictionless trade with UK, freedom of movement with UK, and staying in the EU.

Try telling the SNP that they are really Unionists trying to thwart Independence.

One man's meat is another man's poison!

Apologies for an over long post.

Last edited:
We are going over old ground.

That binary choice was not defined. What you believed it to be was what you believed it to be, nothing more.

It couldn't be defined because there was no plan. Wordsmith keeps reminding us of this, and the fact that there was no responsibility on the Leave campaign to formulate a plan. TBF, he has also consistently stated that vote remain was also ill defined, as the EU is evolving.

Given the above, there are umpteen ways of defining Brexit. TM's way is one, so is JC's, and Sturgeon's is another. You may not like the WA, but that is an opinion, to say it is not a form of Brexit is factually incorrect. Similarly to describe other Brexiteers as Remainers, because they hold a different view
Is silly dogma.

The No Deal Brexit is a minority view, not shared by Parliament, Business, or the majority of the public.

The Scottish referendum had the SNP plan for independence including the following; keeping the £, keeping the Bank of England, open border with rest of UK, frictionless trade with UK, freedom of movement with UK, and staying in the EU.

Try telling the SNP that they are really Unionists trying to thwart Independence.

One man
There's no way the WA can be considered as leaving the EU in any form that would be seen as meaningful - far too many restrictions, caveats & outright demands.

Anti-EU parties are on course to win one-third of seats in the European Parliament election in May, which could "undermine and cause irreparable damage" in areas such as trade, security and defense, according to a study published Monday.
And still they scratch their collective Arrses and wail loudly, why is this happening.

Too dumb to work out that the wording in the next paragraph sums it up nicely.

The European Council of Foreign Relations (ECFR), a Berlin-based think tank, warned the election could "see a group of nationalist anti-European political parties that advocate a return to a 'Europe of the nations' win a controlling share of seats" in the European Parliament.
Study: Anti-EU parties set to win third of seats in May election

Not withstanding that they are still confused by Europe and EU. It is also a tacit reminder that the EU is no longer seen as an EU of member Nations, but subsumed / being subsumed into a 1 Nation State.

European Union Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said on Monday British Prime Minister Theresa May should endorse a permanent customs union with the bloc
'Something has to give,' EU's Barnier tells Brexit Britain | Reuters

Here is a better idea Barnier.

The UK leaves the EU in it's entirety on 29 March as per UK Law and the terms of Article 50. Over the course of the next year, whilst we watch more and more of the EU slip into recession, the fun and games over the next EU Budget and the potentially devastating MEP Elections, we can discuss an UK - EU FTA.

That FTA being a FTA that does not have the UK under the control of Brussels or under the jurisdiction of the ECJ and Ddes not cost £12 Billion a year gross.

As certain people like to herald loudly, it takes the EU between 5 - 10 years for the EU to strike an FTA, that will cover the period of 2025 nicely. Which is the year that 6 of the poorest Countries in Europe are scheduled to join the EU.

EU to map out membership for 6 western Balkan states
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Last edited: