Brexit Phase Two - Trade

About as insightful as your other 3,582 posts in this thread. I suppose I should be grateful it doesn't contain the phrases "what to you think?", "wait and see" and "cake and arrse party".

Do you ever have any original thoughts? If so, please feel free to articulate them in this thread.

Wordsmith

Brexit has gone tits up. Do you agree?

The Bow group says it’s 72. That’s as of 25th Oct 2017.
57 is a better estimate according to Professor Bale and two colleagues at Queen Mary. Their figure is based on a large sample from YouGov which should produce more reliable results. It is the only estimate we have with a published methodology.

Bow disagree unsurprisingly, I go by the guys I sometimes have a pint with and when I pop into the CC so lean towards Bale.

How old is the average Conservative Party member?

That's not exactly true is it?

MEP are elected by proportional representation. The ones that get elected are those the party machine has put at the head of their respective lists. For example, if Brexit is delayed and Farage's part contests them, he'll be elected because his name will be the first on the list. Ditto the candidates for the Tory Party, Labour party and Limp Dems.

You don't directly directly vote for MEP's, you vote for a party and the party machine determines the order candidates will be elected in. The best candidate in the world could be standing, but if they're 25th in the party ordained list, they aren't getting elected.

Our first past the post system has it's faults, but it means if a party parachute an unpopular candidate into an apparently safe seat, the electorate can say Foxtrot Oscar. That's not possible in a European election.

Don't make me laugh about "members of the commission, appointed by directly-elected Governments". That's the classic example of horse trading - you vote for my candidate for post X, and I'll vote for your candidate for post Y. In addition, the only commissioners that ever get elected are those in favour of further EU integration. Commissioners with different points of view haven't a prayer of getting a job on the European Commission.

It's also also a horse trading system that allow a non-entity like Baroness Ashton to become the Commissioner for Foreign Affairs, a drunk like Juncker to become President of the European Commission or a widely loathed bureaucrat such as Martin Selmayr to be appointed to a post in direct contravention of the EU's own rules for such appointments.

Wordsmith
You also forgot to mention that unlike MPs, MEPs don’t represent consistent constituency size.

The U.K. has 1 MEP for 860k per population.

Malta has 1 MEP for 76k per population.

Fortunately, as the EU has a parliament doesn’t follow a parliamentary system that we recognise, this democratic deficit is academic as the laws of the EU are made up by unelected and unaccountable technocrats.

That same Bank of England that’s gotten every assssment totally wrong to date?
But much more accurate than the go to Brexit economist eh?

That committee of course had differing aims from the two main parties involved. France wished to use Franco German dominance as a means of weakening the U.K. the Germans saw it as a means of engaging with the U.K. positively. (Huge swathes of Germany can still be considered anglophiles)
I suppose you don't read many german forums or newspapers. Many of my fellow countrymen today indulge in damnation or even hatred of the British. They are irrational and act like women scorned to quote Congreve. Many Mini-Treitschkes crawling out from under their rock. Today, if you defend the Brexit in Germany you are a Nazi, one of Putins trolls or some lowlife barsteward. The true believers of the church of the holy EU are merciless.

Not that many of us Anglophiles left in Germany.

Oh I see, you weren't just trying to be a smart-arrse:rolleyes:

To quote someone you may know, we will just have to "wait and see". As things stand I am reasonably content that we will brexit on 29/03/19.

Maybe, maybe not. Do you think if we do it will be what you thought you were voting for?

Yer quoting skills are shit BTW.

"We're doing pretty shit but we haven't crashed and burned" is about it...before we've left. No idea what you were linking to either as this one actual link in there give this:

View attachment 377352

And this:

View attachment 377353

That's after the bonus of a good World Cup run and the Royal Wedding.
all of which I have pointed out before is conditional on not having been shafted before, but then no one cared then did they? After all it was going so splendiferously

I suppose you don't read many german forums or newspapers. Many of my fellow countrymen today indulge in damnation or even hatred of the British. They are irrational and act like women scorned to quote Congreve. Many Mini-Treitschkes crawling out from under their rock. Today, if you defend the Brexit in Germany you are a Nazi, one of Putins trolls or some lowlife barsteward. The true believers of the church of the holy EU are merciless.

what comes around goes around. A tad Ironic but I know where you are coming from. But then it was always an honest agreement between France and Germany wan't it:rolleyes:.

Funny. You must be hanging around in different circles.

upset their contributions to eU funding is going up?

Don’t worry. We have the same retards. They repost twitters and read the Guardian.

He has fallen out with almost everyone he has worked with, whose personality has shown to have any wider appeal.. The man talks a lot of sense to me, but is the classic roving lion roaring from the side-lines... Truth be told, its those kind of people who turn out to have a smidge of greatness about them, despite their many flaws.

Your mainstream parties are the very opposite. They've squeezed out the outliers, the people who will actually work through a problem and its largely why brexit is as big a basket case as it currently is.. My only wish, is you would get behind TM on this issue, as we really need to find compromise that leaves everyone a touch unhappy.
What's Corbyn if not an outlier? He's squeezing out the centre left to replace with the hard lft

I dont think he needs celebrities - they have less credibility than politicians and are as well liked. Nige needs to find good solid business people. Not big business - people who know what it means when you ask yourself 'can I run the payroll at the end of the month' and solid people from the community. They will get people's votes
1549920967762.png

What's Corbyn if not an outlier? He's squeezing out the centre left to replace with the hard lft
Always the plan. Centrist politics has had its day until it gets reinvented again.

I’m looking forward to the mass exodus of new labour MPs.

That’ll split the labour vote and get even more competition for the libDems.

However, in the real world whereby political parties aren’t polling their own echo chambers, the non party political aligned electorate will vote for who they want to. As we saw in the last GE, the two parties who advocated ignoring the referendum result (SNP & LibDems) lost seats whilst the two main parties who advocated honouring the referendum result remained the same. (Tory’s lost some seats and labour gained some seats)

It’s interesting watching some labour activists advocating staying in the EU and nationalisation (which they can’t do), whilst simultaneously advocating staying in the EU to save the NHS, whilst no other country in Europe has a healthcare system delivered in the same way as the NHS? Harmonisation anybody?

my quoting skills are shit BTW.

"We're doing pretty well but we haven't crashed and burned as all information shows that the U.K. economy has remained buoyant even with all the negative reporting we’ve seen before we've even left.

No idea what you were linking to so I’ll give you a spurious link that’s been spun from somebody else’s twitter feed. It doesn’t matter that you’ve never heard of them, but you have to trust me that they’re right as they back up my own beliefs so I’ll blindly ignore that major Eurozone country’s aren’t performing either as that doesn’t support my position.

View attachment 377352

And this:

View attachment 377353

That's after the bonus of a good World Cup run and the Royal Wedding, countered with the beast from the east that the governor of the Bank of England said wasn’t a negative impact but then changed his mind later when he had to push out the official numbers.
Fixed free of charge.

Nobody else voted for that.

The manifestos of the 2 main Parties were for a deep and special partnership, and a close trading relationship.
Didn’t see anything in their manifestos about a backstop we couldn’t get out of or remaining in a currency union.

We have a deep and special partnership with close trading ties with Canada. Nobody is advocating Toronto deals with trade deals on our behalf or gets sent a proportion of VAT returns.

Didn’t see anything in their manifestos about a backstop we couldn’t get out of or remaining in a currency union.

We have a deep and special partnership with close trading ties with Canada. Nobody is advocating Toronto deals with trade deals on our behalf or gets sent a proportion of VAT returns.

The UK is not in a currency union with the EU.