Brexit Phase Two - Trade

One thing I have noticed - that male friends seem to be like 'yeah, don't you don't have to learn French etc - English is fine'. Whereas its the female friends who keep asking when I'm starting French lessons etc.
Because of you talk in language someone understands , you talk to their head. If you talk to someone in their own language, you talk to their heart. Can't remember who said that but I've remembered it when abroad for years.

Also works when you might need favours off blokes... Or a beer.

Stop being lazy. Learn the local lingo.

Remainers often seen to think just visiting a country is enough. It isn't. Immerse yourself in the language, culture and local eco-systems. Even if does just prove, again, that England is best.

I think Einstein said it was the definition of madness trying the same experiment over and over but expecting different results. But it is satisfying and think of the self-esteem your building in the foreigners by having an Englishman come down to their level and try to understand them.

I think it's also generally respectful to learn the lingo of your new home. Although it's a bit of a joke here that English people cannot usually speak a second language.

They actually had adverts up, a while ago on the metro at Schumann (where I live; one of the main EU-district stations) with a picture of a suitcase with a union jack on it, with the heading "Time to learn a second language". And then an English advert for a language school. Probably aimed at expats looking to stay here post Brexit. Whilst some people I met at an international meetup told me the British Government apparently approached the EU and asked for the second language requirement for jobs, to be dropped in the case of British applicants. Although I said what would probably be fairer would be to give a two year limit for people to learn the lingo - as is often the case with university lectureships abroad.
That's because British people are at a genuine disadvantage.

If you're a non-English speaker, picking a second language is easy. English. It's a non-brainer.

But if you speak English...

Do I pick french? German or spanish? Giving me access to canada, Austria or South America also.

Portuguese/brazil?

CHinese/taiwan?

Japanese?

Some folk pick welsh.... But there is a small enclave of Welsh speakers in Argentina.

it's actually quite a muddle.

I find learning a few pleasantries works well to start with. As my vocabulary is growing i fill in the gaps by speaking good, proper English Clearly, Loudly, As an order, with Pauses.L

some traditions are worth keeping.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's Schroedinger's EU. At the same time it is a dictatorial super-power and an ineffectual union at the point of collapse.

Only English exceptionalism holds the magic key, apparently.
It is a nascent empire, but wears a mask to not scare people like your ignorant self.
It is an ineffectual union, because most of the countries are in it for the cash and those more dedicated have bought into the empire. So the union functions only when the centre is pulling the strings.

Our exceptionalism is probably the only thing that will save europe from itself. Not for the first time, either.

Meerkatz / SO1 / @PhotEx

It's not remotely funny, just rather sad.

I only bring it up to show just how fanatical some of our carpet chewing headbangers are
While you're up, could you post a list of your past handles. As you say, not remotely funny, just rather sad.

It is a nascent empire, but wears a mask to not scare people like your ignorant self.
It is an ineffectual union, because most of the countries are in it for the cash and those more dedicated have bought into the empire. So the union functions only when the centre is pulling the strings.

Our exceptionalism is probably the only thing that will save europe from itself. Not for the first time, either.

That's what I said. Glad you agree.

why would hard brexi t make 100% angry?

use your big words.
Because none of the problems that make them so angry are going to be solved by brexit.

Immigration for example. Net migration isn't reducing and is at a fairly static level with an increase in non EU migration making up the shortfall from the EU.

Angry leavers won't suddenly become happier with things anytime soon. Especially the poorest who voted to improve their lives with the promise of improved public services and less competition for jobs

Let's start Monday off with a laugh at the so called experts

The French government expects the country’s economy to grow by 1.7 percent for 2019.
The French Government forecast for 2018 was between 1.9 - 2.1 %. the actual growth rate was 1.0%

France is expected to have first quarter economic growth of 0.4 percent, the Bank of France said in its monthly business survey on Monday,
Bank of France sees French first-quarter economic growth at 0.4 percent | Reuters

France never achieved growth of 0.4% in any quarter of 2018 ( 0.2, 0.2, 0.3 & 0.3 ) yet in the midst of Brexit, a world economic slowdown, trade wars and internal French strife, the experts believe that France will outperform every quarter of 2018.

Because none of the problems that make them so angry are going to be solved by brexit.
And another post justifiably dowrated. Are you going to cry about it in this thread too?

Any reason why hand holders @HappyNomad or @Oddbod downrated this post?
Nice to see that others employing your own modus operandi doesn't trouble you in any way though.

As noted previously, I read no papers and watch no news or current affairs; I get everything from the debates here on ARRSE.

I'm obliged to admit that, even after almost two years, I've no idea what a WA is all about or why it's needed and all discussion here seems to presume that it's obvious to everybody.

Would be obliged if somebody could give me a simpleton's guide to a WA?
Here you go. First few slides:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/the_withdrawal_agreement_explained.pdf