Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Have you not been following? We're on course to extend at the very least. All part of the slow drive to shitcan this stupidity
If we accept that we are on course for an extension being sought at the very least and notwithstanding that an extension is not a unilateral decision, what else is actually on the table right now as an option.

With or without a deal, is Brexit going to happen or is it going to die this winter? You can't have it both ways but in the meantime...

IMG_0777.JPG

Last edited:
The EU's current negotiating stance is based on the supposition that the UK will cave in to the EU's demands and everything the the garden will be rosy from the EU's perspective.

There appears to be a dawning realisation that the most likely outcome of the EU's negotiating stance is a no-deal Brexit. When the actual effects of Brexit hit, I suspect the EU member states will go into 'we are not amused' state and remember they ultimately decide on the direction of the EU. They meet in the Council of the European Union.

Council of the European Union | European Union

It has authority over the European Commission - the bureaucracy of the EU.

European Commission | European Union

The Council of Ministers issued the original negotiating guidelines to the European Commission, no doubt after listening to advice from the European Commission. If a no-deal Brexit has the short term economic impact I suspect it will have on both sides of the channel, the Council of Ministers can simply issue new instructions to the European Commission. Juncker, Tusk, Selmeyr et all with have to comply, although I suspect it will be through gritted teeth.

If they do receive new instructions from the Council of Ministers, it will also be a major blow to the authority of the European Commission - it seems to have been filling a power vacuum by setting the direction for the EU. I suspect a no-deal Brexit will make the member states review the wisdom of that.

Wordsmith
Can, If, Suspect, Could.

This fumbling in the dark is pointless.

There are too many diametrically opposed points to be tied up in a pretty package. Hard Exit is what delivers brexit as asked in that bloody referendum so let's do it and get business some semblance of clarity.

However, I believe the utterly shambolic nature of Brexit's implementation will be what damages our nation. The mud-slinging and cringe-worthy accusations and counter-accusations will last for a good few years yet, God help us.

Sorry. I thought this ruckus was, in part, due to the lack of member state influence on the European Commission?
He's our very own Vicky Pollard, expect some "Yeah but...no but..."

The EU's current negotiating stance is based on the supposition that the UK will cave in to the EU's demands and everything the the garden will be rosy from the EU's perspective.

Wordsmith
We've been working on the assumption a no deal brexit is a possibility for the last year 1+......

They are putting infrastructure into the ports here and on the continent right now because of that possibility....

No one wants it, but to say we're only coming to that conclusion now, is not accurate.

BTW now the member states are in charge...?

No. I don't accept your definition of closed mindedness. Your circumstances were clearly different to mine.

As for the rest, you seem to be willy waving and it doesn't detract from the my original point that its perfectly possible to live and work in the EU without fluency in the local language. This is indisputable.

Living in metropolitan areas with many folk from different countries made things easier, but its certainly true that living in the back of beyond would have been different.

Think I'm bad for not having complete command of French and German, look at the Brits who've lived in Spain for decades without learning any Spanish.
It has taken me 6 years to become proficient in Latvian - managed OK without it up to now. However, sometimes you want to become part of the culture not just stood to one side a perma-tourist.

The whole EU-UK negotiations remind me of this one sentence: The computer says no.
It reminds me of a live-action version of Yellow Submarine. I'm not sure who the Blue Meanies would represent, to be honest.

Standing at the sides, I am at a total loss as to what PMTM actually wants to achieve.

The idea that the Europeans always give a deal at the last minute is fine - except that it has been trumpeted so often that the Europeans are thinking, sod them. She really wants to leave without a deal?

Standing at the sides, I am at a total loss as to what PMTM actually wants to achieve.
Forget PMTM. It seems like the whole of the UK doesn't know what it wants to achieve, actually. Think of standing in a Tesco Express on miserable Sunday evening just before it's about to close trying to do shopping picking up random bits of crap, while drunk, trying to figure what you might need for a few meals or more.

Forget PMTM. It seems like the whole of the UK doesn't know what it wants to achieve, actually. Think of standing in a Tesco Express on miserable Sunday evening just before it's about to close trying to do shopping picking up random bits of crap, while drunk, trying to figure what you might need for a few meals or more.
You need help! ;) I am sad, but not THAT sad ;)

We've been working on the assumption a no deal brexit is a possibility for the last year 1+......

They are putting infrastructure into the ports here and on the continent right now because of that possibility....

No one wants it, but to say we're only coming to that conclusion now, is not accurate.

BTW now the member states are in charge...?

Pffft... geography means a no deal Brexit will bring economic disaster for Ireland, no matter how much Dublin blusters

@Graculus likes to make spurious links like that.

Anything bad = brexit.
Anything good =we’re still in the EU.
@Bagl0ck doesn’t seem to have a great understanding of statistics or trends......or reality.
You're fibbing again aren't you?

Pffft... geography means a no deal Brexit will bring economic disaster for Ireland, no matter how much Dublin blusters
You sound delighted.