Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bin the House of Lords, and replace it with a members of the population who are randomly selected through sortition and replace them every four years. And provide them with the same level of expenses and perks provided to MPs. Make it mandatory like jury duty.
I'd be constantly hammered. I suppose it would be no different to the current lot then I guess ;)

You would have to stop people making politics a full time career. One way (for example) would be to say you could serve two consecutive terms in parliament and then had to sit out the next term before becoming eligible to stand as an MP again. That would mean MP's would combine real world experience with time at Westminster.

(With obvious exceptions, such as a sitting two-term PM being eligible to stand for a third term).

What the current crop of MP's have succeeded in doing in further corroding public confidence in politicians; they have shown themselves both unwilling to implement the results of the referendum and incompetent when trying to do so.

Wordsmith
And a reformed HoL with real powers to stop stupid Bills, comprising of 300 seats & candidates must have worked outside politics for a minimum of 10 years. Make it a single 5 year term & have elections halfway between those for MPs.
Oh & First AV as the method..

Can those posting tweets please supply a link or quote the relevant part, as I ain't disabling tracking protection for them.

J Rees Mogg suggesting Government suspends Commons ahead of Article 50 to enforce No Deal exit: “If Commons undermines our basic constitutional conventions then Executive is entitled to use other vestigial constitutional means to stop it, by which I basically mean prorogation”

Bin the House of Lords, and replace it with a members of the population who are randomly selected through sortition and replace them every four years. And provide them with the same level of expenses and perks provided to MPs. Make it mandatory like jury duty.
I have had that idea ruminating in my head for years. The ancient romans had peoples tribunes and you could restrict it a bit more, to say 6 months rolling citizen service (using reserve callup legislation to preserve employment)... The new peoples house would be able to veto stuff it disliked and would be a check on the executive and force wider debate in the general public, thus strengthening democracy.

I have had that idea ruminating in my head for years. The ancient romans had peoples tribunes and you could restrict it a bit more, to say 6 months rolling citizen service (using reserve callup legislation to preserve employment)... The new peoples house would be able to veto stuff it disliked and would be a check on the executive and force wider debate in the general public, thus strengthening democracy.
I can see it now "Service guarantees citizen service"

Would you like to know more?

One for the straw clutchers

People's Vote MPs criticise Labour leadership for not backing second referendum amendment
The LibDums call for a 2nd Referendum is going down a storm

The Lib Dems are hoping that other MPs who back a second referendum, particularly from Labour, will support their amendment.

But so far the only MPs how have signed it are Lib Dem MPs.

Begs the question, if we remain in the EU.
Do we need the HOC or the HOL?

Tippy tapping from my S8.
Retaining the UK government, now that it has been suitably dumbed down and had its powers diluted by the EU, is absolutely essential.
The EU will use them to rubber stamp all federal decisions, and pat themselves on the back, for being so visibly egalitarian.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And a reformed HoL with real powers to stop stupid Bills, comprising of 300 seats & candidates must have worked outside politics for a minimum of 10 years. Make it a single 5 year term & have elections halfway between those for MPs.
Oh & First AV as the method..
100 seats - no need for any more than that at the trough.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Retaining the UK government, now that it has been suitably dumbed down and had its powers diluted by the EU, is absolutely essential.
The EU will use them to rubber stamp all federal decisions, and pat themselves on the back, for being so visibly egalitarian.
Ve haf vays of making you vote! :threaten:

Ireland (and the EU agree) want a no Customs border between NI and RoI.

The British Government don’t want a Customs border either.

For that to happen, at the very least NI has to maintain the same regulations (ie EU regulations) in other that SPS and/or customs documents aren’t required.

Now remember, the EU and U.K. Government agreed this December 2017.

Then the DUP said “never never never” as it would basically mean NI staying in the Customs Union .... Customs border would be in the Irish Sea between the whole island of Ireland (as a member of the Customs Union) and the mainland U.K.

So then it whole of the U.K. was going to stay in the Customs Union. Which would appear to be unacceptable to many.

Basically you can’t have no Customs border without at least part of U.K. (be it NI or the whole U.K.) staying in the Customs Union...... and we are where we are

Have Westminster voted on the backstop (alone) at any stage?

Maybe it should be done
Exactly the point I wasgoing to make. I don't fundamentally disagree with what you have said, but it was important to set out the argument.

I remember only too well the outcome of the last time we were forced to take heed of the unionist position and I am at a loss to u derstand why the Gov argument to the SNP is that the Referendum had UK wide status, then why are the DUP having a eto,on what, initially was UK gov policy to allow atemporary difference in the status of NI as an instrument to effect a long term agreement sutable to all. It is high time the DUPs particularbrand of'loyalism' was put to bed - given also that the majority in NI was for remain. I see no reasonable reason not to delay their departure.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Exactly the point I wasgoing to make. I don't fundamentally disagree with what you have said, but it was important to set out the argument.

I remember only too well the outcome of the last time we were forced to take heed of the unionist position and I am at a loss to u derstand why the Gov argument to the SNP is that the Referendum had UK wide status, then why are the DUP having a eto,on what, initially was UK gov policy to allow atemporary difference in the status of NI as an instrument to effect a long term agreement sutable to all. It is high time the DUPs particularbrand of'loyalism' was put to bed - given also that the majority in NI was for remain. I see no reasonable reason not to delay their departure.
No bias there then? What about the views of the UK government, RoI government and the EU (We wish we were a) government all not wanting a hard border?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 3357
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 138