Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Really ?
I wonder how for example U.K. farmers would fair if all the milk and beef on the shelves in the supermarket was Irish or French

Because the U.K. wouldn’t be able to control what came in to the U.K.
Probably the same as Irish farmers would fair if they’re isolated from their single largest export market?

Then again, we’ve seen that the Irish will do what they’re told to do by Brussels.

Probably the same as Irish farmers would fair if they’re isolated from their single largest export market?

Then again, we’ve seen that the Irish will do what they’re told to do by Brussels.
Absolutely

But if you don’t impose a U.K. customs border you wouldn’t be able to do anything about it !!!

I’m not suggesting it’s going to happen but it’s a potential consequence

You could substitute Irish for US or Chinese

I’m not suggesting it’s going to happen but it’s a potential consequence
So is getting hit by a bus. So why bother getting out of bed in the morning.

Could, might, possible, potential mean diddly squat.

Although they are words that are good at getting remoaners frothing at the mouth and wetting their panties.

Just heard from Mrs LR that Barnier has just let the bag slip out of the cat. Via BBC news app. Barnier has said that the Backstop will be indefinate. Lying little tinker. There can be no doubt that the EU was lying through it's teeth when they said they wanted no Backstop, there was no logic to that position. Solution! Remove backstop agreement from WA pass it and tell Brussels to suck it and see. If they say no deal........ then it will get interesting.

quote [That's the other downside to the vaunted FoM. High grade Polish workers doing low grade British jobs for more money than high grade Polish jobs.]quote

Many were going home way before Brexit,

wages in Poland for high grade , educated people have been increasing now for ages and were getting near the EU average.... why then would they stay in UK away from their homes and families

or , like the soft fruit trade in NE Scotland, some have learned "how to" , and earned enough to buy land and start their own soft fruit farms at home successfully

I like the Poles in this area, they are pretty well integrated , and well respected, just , on the whole decent people, like most of us , but speaking a different first language

There's been a Lidl in the town for over twenty years , when it opened (and wasn't as busy as it is these days) I was chatting to a young lady at the tills , she was one of the first poles to start working there , and boy did they work hard for their money, long hours and never idle...she is now the area manager, and still helps out on the tills when visiting if needed,
think some of the locals resent the fact that some foreigners have become so integrated and successful forgetting the fact that the "foreigners" have worked damn hard and do the jobs some of the idle indigenous bastards wouldn't even consider

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Morning remainers

Why not prorogation? Many in Parliament have said that they don't know how to vote and want another "People's vote" to inform them. If they can't do their job then sack them, which basically is what prorogation is.

Mind you several of the links posted on this thread seem to indicate the rumpEU are in a similar position with some MS calling for a change in tack by M. Barnier, aka M. Non.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I accept the will of the people should prevail, what I am worried about is that how it happens is being decided by relatively a few whose self interest seems more important.
The decision to leave was reached by a democratic referendum and - I believe - will be in the UK's long term interests. The problem is how that decision is being implemented. Some of the problems are:
  • The EU determined to make it as difficult as possible for the UK to leave in order to protect it's short term interests. (I suspect that will come back to bite the EU longer term).
  • A prime minister that has made a pigs ear of the negotiations and come up with an unworkable agreement
  • Opposition parties determined to cause political problems for the government and precipitate a general election
  • A majority of remain supporting MP's in parliament determined to thwart Brexit while pretending to facilitate it.
The last three points are down to individual factions following their own narrow interests without considering the wider national interest.

And the underlying problems is that - for the first time since the Second World War - MP's are being asked to deal with a genuinely momentous issue that will set the path of the UK for generations to come, rather than come up with relativity minor (and reversible) changes. The standard of debate, both during the referendum campaign and in the subsequent debates in parliament, suggests that many are ill-equipped for the task.

In summary, the UK took a pragmatic decision to leave an organisation that has morphed out of all recognition to the one we joined and is well on the path to a 'United States of Europe'. However, the management we put in charge to implement that decision - parliament - has proved spectacularly poor at doing it.

Wordsmith