Brexit Phase Two - Trade

At least BL is multi-talented. As well as apologising, he can say "wait and see" as well - the Internet equivalent of walking and chewing gum simultaneously...

Wordsmith :smile:
Instead of misleading people about his technical abilities? You didn't lie, you just weren't honest were you?

To replicate Germany we'd have to do it within the single market.
er no, I'll take issue with that. The logic is wrong.
Either you do it on WTO or European rules, you can't have both which I have exhaustively tried to pin remain down on. Because I have asked this time and again how this works. If France and Germany are doing deals on a WTO basis without the sanction of the EU and then the EU claims them as EU trade deals that's hardly in the spirit of the single market. Or you claim the EU is doing on WTO rules in which case, the EU does not control trade deals- Now which is it. If Britain has been held back by by the EU from doing trade deals, I'd say the backstop isn't worth the paper it's written on and should be unilaterally ignored.

I see the Bush has well and truly kicked in @skid2 :D

This is a good scheme, not going to happen though but if only...

de Maistre was an ardent monarchist and advocate of social hierarchy, the antethesis of "hard left".

You hard left types are truly beyond help.
I think the point isn't people want to vote for corbyn, but what happens if enough people stop caring whether he gets in or not.. Bitterness can do funny things to people and I would speculate a lot of established thinking about how people think and make choices will be torpedoed after a remain/EFTA sellout.

de Maistre was an ardent monarchist and advocate of social hierarchy, the antethesis of "hard left".

You hard left types are truly beyond help.
You do realise you can agree with some of someone's ideas and disagree with others?

But I'm not hard left; I'm a democrat. If we can't have democracy, I'd like to see things fukced up.

Hopefully it'll be a lesson to all concerned.

You do realise you can agree with some of someone's ideas and disagree with others?

But I'm not hard left; I'm a democrat. If we can't have democracy, I'd like to see things fukced up.

Yep, similar to a discussion with an old friend who was still livid 5 months after the result.
The idea that people might learn to appreciate their democracy after experiencing the consequences of their choices was an anathema to him.
It would be interesting to see what the proportion of Helicopter parents are within Remain and Leave cohorts

Well, in truth, I'm somewhat conflicted.

On the one hand, a soft-Brexit or no Brexit improves house prices and liquidity, and make for a stronger GBP. On that basis, as I'm about to emigrate, the last few days have been kind to me. I'm fortunate to also have AUD and USD assets, so it's a relatively soft landing.

On the other hand, I find the level of debate and the behaviour of our politicians and senior civil servents to be nothing short of disgraceful. We have a genuine constitutional challenge, of their making, and, as a consequence, an increasingly disillusioned and polarised electorate.
Couldn’t agree more

Its a major point brought up in the Ashcroft poll analysis; the Remain campaigns's choice to opt for a Project Fear approach as opposed to bigging up the benefits of EU membership to the whole country
Interesting article highlighting the same mindset in the peoples' vote lobby - her point of "it might have been a lie, but at least they promised sunny uplands" is a good one.
You want a people’s vote on Brexit? Be careful what you wish for | Ellie Mae O’Hagan

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
"Every nation gets the government it deserves."

Joseph de Maistre

I think we deserve a hard left one.
You're entitled to your fantasy of course, but wouldn't two disappointments in a row be too much to bear .

I'd settle for another Attlee or an Eden without the Suez.

Edit, using a quotation from a dead Frenchman, doesn't that undermine the argument a bit?

I don't think anyone really wants the Norway option, other than it pleases everyone in a small way.

Remainers see it as the closest possible option, whilst still leaving the EU.

Brexiteers see it as a transition stage, that the UK can exit at a later date.

It would however, be a valid reason for extending A50. This would take a long time to negotiate and involve painful compromises.

I wonder if the ECJ ruling allows unilateral revoking of A50, at the end of an extension period?

I don't think anyone really wants the Norway option, other than it pleases everyone in a small way.

Remainers see it as the closest possible option, whilst still leaving the EU.

Brexiteers see it as a transition stage, that the UK can exit at a later date.

It would however, be a valid reason for extending A50. This would take a long time to negotiate and involve painful compromises.

I wonder if the ECJ ruling allows unilateral revoking of A50, at the end of an extension period?
The Norway Option pleases the remainers however it doesn’t honour the Referendum.

As it’s been mentioned a few times, quite a number of hardline remainers are attempting a “ultra soft Brexit”. In other words not a Clean Brexit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand your emotions all too well.....but be very careful of what you wish for.

Either way, apologies for the muddle.

The Norway Option pleases the remainers however it doesn’t honour the Referendum.
The Referendum asked if you wished the UK to remain in the EU or leave. If we took a Norway option then we'd no longer be members of the EU, Referendum result honoured.

Of course, it might not be the end result you want but that's rather the problem with asking a question about an entire rainbow and only allowing a black or white answer isn't it?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 385
S11Blade Brexit 476
B Medals 22