Brexit Phase Two - Trade

The consensus is that it’s a bit pants. Wouldn’t you agree?
Well, in truth, I'm somewhat conflicted.

On the one hand, a soft-Brexit or no Brexit improves house prices and liquidity, and make for a stronger GBP. On that basis, as I'm about to emigrate, the last few days have been kind to me. I'm fortunate to also have AUD and USD assets, so it's a relatively soft landing.

On the other hand, I find the level of debate and the behaviour of our politicians and senior civil servents to be nothing short of disgraceful. We have a genuine constitutional challenge, of their making, and, as a consequence, an increasingly disillusioned and polarised electorate.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I think also that the 'establishment' can't conceive that there are bigger and better trading opportunities out there in the rest of the world (85% of total trade) than in the EU (<15% of world trade). The EU has become their comfort blanket - and frankly I think they're scared of being responsible for the change in UK strategy that will required to turn our trading focus aware from an increasingly moribund Europe.

Wordsmith
We’ve a foreign office, ambassadors, diplomats, civil servants, trade bodies, and god knows what scattered across the globe. And only the brexiters on the internet can see the bigger picture..........

I’m the one doing my very best not to say I told you this was a mistake.
While you lot run about opportioning blame as opposed to fixing the problem.
Maybe the problem can’t be fixed.
Maybe it’s insloluble.
It'll get fixed, one way or another, I'm sure. I can't see how a democratic referendum, that had the biggest voting turnout of any vote in the UK, can be overturned or dishonoured without consequences.

I suspect - as a country - we need some momentous pain; great change comes from momentous pain, y'knaa?

I quite fancy having Corbyn as PM; I reckon that'll be the first unintended consequence. The UK doesn't tend to do fascism very well, but I can see them improving over the next decade or so too and us getting a hard right, anti EU party, full of dubious characters, just like so many other EU countries have.

Bring it on, I say.

It'll get fixed, one way or another, I'm sure. I can't see how a democratic referendum, that had the biggest voting turnout of any vote in the UK, can be overturned or dishonoured without consequences.

I suspect - as a country - we need some momentous pain; great change comes from momentous pain, y'knaa?

I quite fancy having Corbyn as PM; I reckon that'll be the first unintended consequence. The UK doesn't tend to do fascism very well, but I can see them improving over the next decade or so too and us getting a hard right, anti EU party, full of dubious characters, just like so many other EU countries have.

Bring it on, I say.
That is my thought as well, if the tories are finished as anything but a party for big business, then maybe it is time to don my kerchief and learn the words to the internationale for a spell of corbynista before its too late....

View attachment 365465
View attachment 365466

Remainers Lining Up Gove to Lead Norway-Plus Push -

Norway, although not in the EU, is a rule taker and a signee to Schengen.

View attachment 365469 View attachment 365470
Schengen

ETA - Subsequent to posting this, have just watched David Davis explaining the issues why Norway is a bad deal that even the Norwegian's are unhappy with.
Using Gove really does demonstrate the utter contempt Remain politicians have for the electorate.
Can't they see that pretty much everyone views him as the self-serving, back stabbing, duplicitous little tw*t that he is?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

Bring it on, I say.
So we’re making a complete horlicks of leaving the European Union so that we can follow their political example in the future.
That’s the plan, oh good.

Good to have a plan.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Using Gove really does demonstrate the utter contempt Remain politicians have for the electorate.
Can't they see that pretty much everyone views him as the self-serving, back stabbing, duplicitous little tw*t that he is?
That’s no way to talk about one of your own, granted he’s not exactly the aryan ideal. But it looks as if he’s the best you’ve got.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Can't they see that pretty much everyone views him as the self-serving, back stabbing, duplicitous little tw*t lining himself up to replace May as Tory leader that he is?
Edited for accuracy.

Although I prefer to regard him as the man wishing to replace Edward Smith as captain of the Titanic. Hopefully he'll sink alongside of May.

Wordsmith

Apportioning blame ! From the remoaners whose chorus consists of such greats as: 'you own it', 'stupid brexshitters', 'a big red bus won it', 'the people were lied to', 'the people were stupid', 'the russians are coming', 'old people should hurry up and push off', 'its not the EU is brexiteers' etc etc

Remoaners have done nothing but direct their anger at anyone who happens to stroll past. Now, things are going in your direction, your still moaning and blaming everyone else.
I've not been angry in the least you great fibber, I was, am and will remain highly amused. You're weak BTW.

Careful, that will trigger the anti-russian reds under the beds hysteria mob :)

Respect is supposed to be a two way flow. Why should we expend treasure and risk our soldiers when we are supposedly weak and a tiny shoreline of the mighty europe. Nobody, is saying we have to pull up the drawbridge, but their should be a price to us riding out and playing the white knight.
Cheers Vlad.

'Lunchtime' starts early at @skid2 towers.
I thought you were a fan of drink and drugs? You keep on posting links to the site of someone who arranged raves and has been convicted of drink related offences multiple times.

"Every nation gets the government it deserves."

Joseph de Maistre

I think we deserve a hard left one.
If the consequences end with us remaining or the EFTA Model, Remoaners have a child like belief that brexiteers will simply fold up their deck chairs and fade away. When in point of fact, a touch of bitterness will inevitably take hold in the nation.. How people vent that bitterness will be educational to the establishment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 385
S11Blade Brexit 476
B Medals 22