Brexit Phase Two - Trade

I wonder what would have happened if CMD had said: "if we get a mandate from the referendum we will set up an independent commission to weigh the relative benefits and costs of leaving the EU. We will then put the results before Parliament..."

It would have taken all the emotion and silliness out of the argument. I'd have been happy with that. The problem now is that there is so much anger in the mix now, I doubt it would work. Look at the emotions on here, from a relatively homogeneous bunch of chaps*.

Politics used to be about class. Four hundred years ago it was about religion and the 'divine right of kings'. Now it's about whether we can maintain representative democracy in the face of social media and 'alternative' facts.

* I'm assuming there's no gunners here, as they are a bit 'special'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And your solution is...............

(My anger, such as it is. Is directed towards brexit. I have some sympathy with those who voted for brexit under false pretences)
If you frame the debate as you do, their is absolutely nothing we can do and thus remaining is the only solution.... To think that way, starts with defining our competitors as european partners... As a metaphor, you and your kind donned a mental straight jacket and its largely the reason why the whole exit from the EU has been a disaster from day one. Similarly at a global level, we don't have international partners, we have competitors.

The first step to brexit is to have some self respect and ditch all this partner wibble.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
What was this good deal she missed out on? The EU was never going to let us benefit from leaving. Why would we be able to free-ride on an organisation we didn't pay for any more? More fool her for thinking there was such a deal.
There was never a good deal, but I suspect a better deal could have been negotiated by a PM with more backbone.

The UK had cards to play: focusing on trade with the the rest of the world, seriously preparing for a hard Brexit, the£80 billion trade surplus the EU has with us, access to UK fishing waters and so on. None of those cards seems to have been played - May just caving in every time.

Wordsmith

I wonder what would have happened if CMD had said: "if we get a mandate from the referendum we will set up an independent commission to weigh the relative benefits and costs of leaving the EU. We will then put the results before Parliament..."

It would have taken all the emotion and silliness out of the argument. I'd have been happy with that. The problem now is that there is so much anger in the mix now, I doubt it would work. Look at the emotions on here, from a relatively homogeneous bunch of chaps*.

Politics used to be about class. Four hundred years ago it was about religion and the 'divine right of kings'. Now it's about whether we can maintain representative democracy in the face of social media and 'alternative' facts.

* I'm assuming there's no gunners here, as they are a bit 'special'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But I doubt that such a beast (independent) could be found.

This wonderful idea of intergrating Ireland back into the Civilisd world of The Empire did not seem to impress him much.
I'm not really surprised by that at all. The chances are in a few years time the ROI will be moithering about the lack of opportunity there because they're beholden to the EU. I wonder who they'll start shooting at then?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Given that CMD had already wriggled out of one referendum promise, and that CMD only got a thin majority in 2015, that would have just looked like a PR exercise to committed Brexit voters and cost the Tories the election.

Wordsmith

Indeed, and cease defence cooperation, security cooperation and no more over-flight protection to the EU's estern and western borders. Let the Lithuanians and Irish develop their own capacities.

Its Irelands dirty little secret that dare not speak its name… their Neutrality in WWII relied upon on RAF and Royal Navy patrols around their waters and often over their airspace, along with the direction of convoy tonnage to supply Ireland.

Of course, a a properly plastic plastic Paddy, Varadkar won't know or care about that, so no danger of a little gratitude for past sacrifices.

If the loons recognised the fact that our membership has benefitted us not at all, How about the remain loons who are quite prepared to maintain the status quo.
Except it's not the status quo: it's an unstoppable move towards federalisation & a United States of Europe.
It's right there in the original charter, yet the rabid Remain faction continue to deny it.

Europe; yes.
Common market; yes.
USE; go get f**ked.

Is she still there, you had her parcelled up and gone months ago. The stupidity of that woman is astounding, but then you have to ask why are the brexiters still supporting a quisling.
Either the brexiters are collaboraters too
Or she’s not a quisling
Corrected that for you

Indeed, and cease defence cooperation, security cooperation and no more over-flight protection to the EU's estern and western borders. Let the Lithuanians and Irish develop their own capacities.
Careful, that will trigger the anti-russian reds under the beds hysteria mob :)

Respect is supposed to be a two way flow. Why should we expend treasure and risk our soldiers when we are supposedly weak and a tiny shoreline of the mighty europe. Nobody, is saying we have to pull up the drawbridge, but their should be a price to us riding out and playing the white knight.

Yeah. I had no idea there was a whole world out here. Imagine my dismay when big silver bird noise like thunder carried me away to the Far Side of the World

Guess what? To places like Australia, a UK trade deal is a sideshow. They are forging closer Iinks with their neighbours, not chasing distant rainbows

No matter how important you think you are to ‘them’, the Empire doesn’t exist..you are just a small market off the coast of a big one.
You remaINers are very concerned about the 'empire' aren't you.