Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Ah well, she can't.

The HoC has first to pass a vote in order not to have the vote.

She could therefore lose a vote not to have a vote on a vote she is already bound to lose.

Thus all she has potentially done is dragged the critical moment forward.

Genius
Oh FFS they are now pissing around with Parliamentary procedural points: after May has done her bit the Leader of the House will put forward a Business Statement, not a Business Motion.

So maybe no vote.

This is not going to end well

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Ah well, she can't.

The HoC has first to pass a vote in order not to have the vote.

She could therefore lose a vote not to have a vote on a vote she is already bound to lose.

Thus all she has potentially done is dragged the critical moment forward.

Genius
Sir Humphrey Walt.

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
PMTM: "There will be no General Election"...……..reality...………...Bollox
PMTM: " Brexit means Brexit"...…………………………..reality...………...Bollox
PMTM: "We will leave the Customs Union"...……...reality...………...Bollox
PMTM: "We will leave the Single Market...…………..reality...………...Bollox
PMTM: "The vote will go ahead"...……………………….reality...………...Bollox
PMTM: "There will be no second referendum...…...REALLY?
I wonder if it’s like this when she retires for the evening?
Mr May “hello dear, nice day”?
TM “what do you think.”
Mr May, “You can’t even give me a straight answer can you”?
TM “oh, sorry dear, didn’t hear you there, what’s for dinner”?
Mr May “ I don’t fecking know, thought I’d wait till you came home so we can have a bloody vote on it!”

A vision of Orwellian democracy:
She went round the country, NI, England, Scotland to persuade the people - she failed
She sent her ministers on a mission to persuade their colleagues - they failed
She sent her chancellor on a retake of Project Fear - he failed
She had her NI Secretary pen a letter to the NI community - she failed
She insisted the vote would take place on Tuesday - it won't

She won't go back to the people of the UK, she is going back to Brussels to try to achieve in a matter of hours what she has failed to achieve in 18months - regardless of what she brings back, will anyone believe her?

Just as well this isn't 1649

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
May showing supreme idiocy again.

Theresa May postpones Brexit deal vote
Angry Tory rebels and Labour MPs vowed that they would attempt to force the government to hold a vote.
However, a government source says there would be no vote on a business motion to cancel Tuesday’s vote. “We are replacing the business with a new statement but it isn’t a motion and therefore isn’t voteable,” the source said.
That means the government is using a slippery bit of Westminster procedure to stop the opposition parties et al forcing a vote. I wonder if they'll find an alternative way to do so. If they do, it's goodbye PMTM.
In Brussels, a European commission spokesman said: “This deal is the best and only deal possible. We will not renegotiate the deal that is on the table right now. That is very clear.
May can't achieve f-all anyway. The European commission will happily see her defeated in the hopes that Brexit will be cancelled in the shambles that follows.
That view was echoed by Ireland’s taoiseach Leo Varadkar, who told reporters “it is not possible” to renegotiate the backstop.
The two things that will cause May's deal to be defeated - the NI backstop and the border in the middle of the Irish sea are going to remain in place - so May is achieving the square root of fornicate all by postponing the vote.

I wonder if the number of letters reacquired to trigger a leadership contest will reach the required number in the next few days. The Tory party must now surely realise their only hope for avoiding the mother of all fuster clucks is to remove May.

Wordsmith

May is toast whatever happens.

First off, the entire process is farcical - what concessions will be forthcoming in the next few days that couldn't be negotiated in the last couple of years?

Secondly, the only concessions that will be offered will be cosmetic - which won't satisfy a Commons that knows May only has days left in office.

Thirdly, there are too many factions that now want May defeated.
  • The opposition want her to resign so they can call for a GE.
  • The DUP want her to go so the stupid idea of having NI remain in the customs union and the rest of the UK be out of it - potentially leading to a United Ireland - is binned.
  • The Scottish Tories will also want the NI thing binned - or the SNP will demand the same for Scotland.
  • The ERG will want May gone so someone with more backbone negotiates with the EU.
And finally, unless the UK agrees to postpone the Brexit date, there is probably no longer enough time to get the requisite legislation through parliament. And the Tories poll ratings (and chances in the 2022 GE) will be royally fornicated if they try that.

Absolute genius from May - this f-up has been predictable for at least 6 months.

Wordsmith
All fair points but we are dealing with a thick skinned fcukwit here, which you’ve not considered above

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
All fair points but we are dealing with a thick skinned fcukwit here, which you’ve not considered above
My money is now on the number of votes required for a leadership challenge now reaching the required 48 over the next few days. I don't think the Tory party has any choice left other than to remove her.

Wordsmith

If people on here are getting upset at the CJEU ruling today, they’re going to be so mad when they see what’s going on at the Royal Courts of Justice this week.

Still, that’s a case heard by British Judges, so presumably alright ^^
I was saving that but you've just cancelled the chance.... ;-)

Her somewhat apposite nickname by some is The Tortoise

She plods on slowly, and at the first sign of danger, pulls in her head, ignores everything, then when its gone quiet, plods slowly onwards on her course

May showing supreme idiocy again.

Theresa May postpones Brexit deal vote

That means the government is using a slippery bit of Westminster procedure to stop the opposition parties et al forcing a vote. I wonder if they'll find an alternative way to do so. If they do, it's goodbye PMTM.

May can't achieve f-all anyway. The European commission will happily see her defeated in the hopes that Brexit will be cancelled in the shambles that follows.

The two things that will cause May's deal to be defeated - the NI backstop and the border in the middle of the Irish sea are going to remain in place - so May is achieving the square root of fornicate all by postponing the vote.

I wonder if the number of letters reacquired to trigger a leadership contest will reach the required number in the next few days. The Tory party must now surely realise their only hope for avoiding the mother of all fuster clucks is to remove May.

Wordsmith
She has her get out of jail free card. She’s going nowhere

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
verticalgyro Finance, Property, Law 23
S11Blade Brexit 41
Skylog The Intelligence Cell 8