Brexit Phase Two - Trade

I'm just reading Jonathan Haidt's, The Righteous Mind; what you say is right, but it's slightly more nuanced. What makes humans successful - something which happened long before speech evolved - is our ability to put self interest to one side and do what's best for the group as a whole.

It's why we hold self sacrifice in high esteem (think posthumous awards), and we see selfish - self centred - behaviour as something to be abhorred.

The same author also wrote The Coddling of the American Mind, which describes Remainers to a T.
Interestingly though, if you believe male behaviour is shaped by female sexuality (e.g. men behave a certain way because we're more likely to get rewarded with sex), those who score higher on the dark triad of behavioural traits (narcissistic, psychopathic, Machiavellianism) have greater reproductive success than those who score low (e.g. they basically have more sexual partners, so have a higher chance of passing on their genes).

So those behaviours are at least what is currently driving human sexual selection at this moment in time - no idea about the historical involvement of those behaviours though, so can't say if it's an evolutionary driver or not - though dominant qualities certainly have featured in the past, hence why men are taller, broader, and have different secondary sexual characteristics than women (beards, deep voices etc)).

There's also an alternative argument that society is generally against behaviours that provide an individual with sexual/evolutionary advantage too btw.

Last edited:
I'm just reading Jonathan Haidt's, The Righteous Mind; what you say is right, but it's slightly more nuanced. What makes humans successful - something which happened long before speech evolved - is our ability to put self interest to one side and do what's best for the group as a whole.

It's why we hold self sacrifice in high esteem (think posthumous awards), and we see selfish - self centred - behaviour as something to be abhorred.

The same author also wrote The Coddling of the American Mind, which describes Remainers to a T.
Does he say that this is a modern man trait or is there evidence that Neanderthals also exhibited it?

What are the odds being offered on next Tory leader?
As speculation continues over Conservative MPs submitting letters of no confidence in the PM to the 1922 Committee, who do the bookmakers think might succeed Theresa May if a vacancy arises?
Dominic Raab - 5/1
Sajid Javid - 11/2
Boris Johnson - 6/1
Michael Gove - 17/2
Jeremy Hunt - 17/2
Jacob Rees-Mogg - 17/2
David Davis - 17/2

Interestingly though, if you believe male behaviour is shaped by female sexuality (e.g. we behave a certain way because we're more likely to get rewarded with sex), those who score higher on the dark triad of behavioural traits (narcissistic, psychopathic, Machiavellianism) have greater reproductive success than those who score low (e.g. they basically have more sexual partners, so have a higher chance of passing on their genes).

So those behaviours are at least what is currently driving human sexual selection at this moment in time - no idea about the historical involvement of those behaviours though, so can't say if it's an evolutionary driver or not).
are you suggesting the remain camp is fully of totty, maybe for the first time you have made the missing link argument to sway this thread to your way of thinking.

Interestingly though, if you believe immature male behaviour is shaped by immature female sexuality (e.g. we behave a certain way because we're more likely to get rewarded with sex), those who score higher on the dark triad of behavioural traits (narcissistic, psychopathic, Machiavellianism) have greater reproductive success than those who score low (e.g. they basically have more sexual partners, so have a higher chance of passing on their genes).

So those behaviours are at least what is currently driving human sexual selection at this moment in time - no idea about the historical involvement of those behaviours though, so can't say if it's an evolutionary driver or not).
A slight but important change. And mostly they don't want children.
Females at 18-20 and males at 20-22 emotionally mature and are more likely to go for a single life partner.
I accept that todays generations brought up on false lives via TV and Hollywood etc. may be different.
BTW the above is from observation and not any bookwork.

A slight but important change. And mostly they don't want children.
Females at 18-20 and males at 20-22 emotionally mature and are more likely to go for a single life partner.
I accept that todays generations brought up on false lives via TV and Hollywood etc. may be different.
BTW the above is from observation and not any bookwork.

The thing with evolutionary advantageous behaviour, is the person carrying out the behaviour doesn't have to be aware of the reason they behave a certain way, so the reason matters not really. But I do recall an interesting lecture where the speaker said something along the lines of "If women wanted to sleep with men who act like polite gentlemen, then men would change their behaviour accordingly".

Youth also forms a considerable part of female sexual value (when you consider sexual exchange is a marketplace like any other), so it doesn't matter if they are immature or not :)

Last edited:
The thing with evolutionary advantageous behaviour, is the person carrying out the behaviour doesn't have to be aware of the reason they behave a certain way, so the reason matters not really.

Youth also forms a considerable part of female sexual value (when you consider sexual exchange is a marketplace like any other), so it doesn't matter if they are immature or not :)
From my reading of early modern man and history I very much doubt if we have evolved at all in the last 40,000 years.
The important change came 55,000 in Europe when modern man arrived with his females much smaller than himself so their children were less developed and required 10-15 years of being cared for by their mothers, who were too small to be effective in the hunt anyway.
This meant that language developed between mothers and children with all of the teaching/learning opportunities this gave.

The hoo ha is because most do not want to leave and were always going to criticise any agreement. A minority don't want any agreement and want a disorderly Brexit. The opposition are playing politics, and the DUP could never be pleased. Those who want an orderly Brexit are probably not making much noise, and are unlikely to hit the headlines. The media highlight those who make the most noise.
I've been watching May and doing a bit of digging. It seems that May despite her voting remain has consistently voted or abstained against further intigration, notably Lisbon and European structural funding, but it seems that the sticking point is that the UK and the EU have jointly to agree when the transition period ends despite the transition period lasting five years at most. I can see the paradox, but this is Lisbon writ large when Labour lied to us about the extent to which Sovereignty, ie the extent of scope for unilateral action was unaffected was fictitious. No wonder Brown was so unhappy

Yes I saw Cooper and Benn sitting it has to be said waiting for the inevitable petard to go off under their derrieres like a couple of stuffed dummies.
The reality is, to this day the only thing holding our head above water is the Pound. But it seems to me that the real Paradox is that Neither side really wants to implement a Backstop in Ireland and they can't get the uncomfortable fact that Ireland and the EU have recognised NI as British territory. The extent to which the EU can hold us hostage over the formation of trade deals, something I've never really been convinced about. That is not the same as conformity

The other real issue is this, there is plenty of criticism, very little constructive alternative put forward. I personally think there's wriggle room. I would half laugh if May survives a contest, not least because I'm not quite sure who wants to commit political suicide or even that a potential Labour Government have much room to maneuvre, but right now, it's clear Parliament has no stomach for this fight. Listening to one on the Labour side it was about as impassioned about ignoring parliament in future and just having referendums. "Please do the job for us"

So when Parliament do give the message that it's to be rejected, they'll give that message the electorate. An EU hair cut with the imposition of the Euro in five years is a possibility.

From my reading of early modern man and history I very much doubt if we have evolved at all in the last 40,000 years.
The important change came 55,000 in Europe when modern man arrived with his females much smaller than himself so their children were less developed and required 10-15 years of being cared for by their mothers, who were too small to be effective in the hunt anyway.
This meant that language developed between mothers and children with all of the teaching/learning opportunities this gave.

If you're interested in some of the behavioural stuff behind this by the way, then I'd recommend Sperm Wars by Baker (although this will potentially change your view of relationships forever, and not for the better); The Moral Animal (can't remember the author here); and the Red Queen by Ridley.

Personally my view is that society - it's behaviour and shape - are largely driven by female preferences, rather than the so-called Patriarchy. If anything, I also think feminism is just another example of the female of the species directing male behaviour.

Does he say that this is a modern man trait or is there evidence that Neanderthals also exhibited it?
From memory, he reckons it started with a homo that was prior to Neanderthals (can't remember which one); a large brained monkey though.

Chimps, our closest relative don't have this group ethos; you'll never see two chimps carrying the same log. Even when chimps hunt, they might look like they're working together as a group, but they're not; they don't communicate with each other during the hunt (for example) and then when a kill is made, they'll fight over the meat.

It's well worth a read; he explains how our basic - evolved - moral outlook (such as our understanding of what's 'fair and just') affects our individual voting choices; though it's written more for an American audience (so will go on about Democrats or Republicans).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 385
S11Blade Brexit 476
B Medals 22