Brexit Phase Two - Trade

All at sea: Raab's ignorance of Dover-Calais stuns critics

Dominic Raab, after he admitted that until recently he did not fully appreciate the importance of the Dover-Calais crossing for UK trade.... rather like other mongs trying to salvage power from ignorance.

Arabs actually not too far off the mark re Dover.
It’s importance is massively overstated by Remain. Alternative ports are available, and compared with the volumes that come through Felixstowe, London, immingham, it’s a trade minnow.

Last edited:
Arabs actually not too far off the mark re Dover.
It’s importance is massively overstated by Remain. Alternative ports are available, and compared with the volumes that come through Felixstowe, London, immingham, it’s a trade minnow.
Guess what..... if there is congestion in Dover ...... there will be congestion in every other port where a lot of business is
With the EU

Considerations like that didn't stop the EU imposing savage austerity on Greece after the last recession.

Come the next recession, if Ireland needs aid from the EU again, it will come with strings attached, one being that Ireland has to raise its corporation tax rates.

Best get used to being a region of the EU rather than a sovereign state like the UK is about to be.

Wordsmith
Guess what are last one did and we took the medicine

How many bailouts has Greece needed in the last 10 years?

There is no mechanism for leaving the euro. How does a sovereign country leave a currency union that they've signed up to and whose terms state you can't leave?

In addition, all internationally binding legal agreements have an exit clause. The EU want to sign us to to an agreement where they are the arbiter of when we can leave the backstop.

Wordsmith
There was no mechanism for removing the Argies from the FI, but we found one.

The Eurozone countries have ceded significantly more sovereignty to the Eu than the UK has. Leaving the euro would be painful and on unfriendly terms. These situations are not win/win, but if a country was determined to leave, and suffer the short term consequences, it could. Countries and regions are continually breaking up and coming together over time. The Eu thinks that it can stop this, and control the future destiny of nations. It can't!

International law is not particularly enforceable if one side is determined to ignore it. The longer term solution to Ireland may indeed be a hard border. This is not politically acceptable at this moment in time, but would overtake the backstop.

I have listened carefully to JRM, BoJo and DD, and every time they are asked about the border issue they bat it away. They are opposing May, without providing any practical alternative. Incidentally, I think things have progressed better since BoJo and DD resigned. As a Brexiteer, I have increasingly felt that they have been undermining our negotiating position (rather than holding May's feet to the fire!).

Of course May should have, and could have huffed and puffed more. Another leader would have done things differently. But there is no evidence that the Eu would have responded any differently. In the absence of an alternative detailed blueprint from JRM/BoJo/DD, May's "Deal" is the only deal in town. I think that the ERG are playing with fire in threatening to vote against it.[/QUOTE]
There was no leave mechanism for the EU until the Lisbon Treaty

There won’t, but carry on with Litlle Leos dream he has the English by the balls.
It's beautiful how Leo has gotten so far up peopels arses in all this....even most of us who don't like him have to respect that kind of game....:cool:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Alas, Ireland’s bought fully into the EUtopia dream.
They’re more EUropean than the EU nomemenklatura.
I'm not convinced it is the whole of Ireland but their political 'elite' in the same way that many MPs in Westminster feeling is better to ignore the British electorate just to keep to the EU dream!

I'm not convinced it is the whole of Ireland but their political 'elite' in the same way that many MPs in Westminster feeling is better to ignore the British electorate just to keep to the EU dream!
We are talking Dublin here aren't we, not dissimilar to London. These elites are tied to the capital cities where the capital (money) resides... Brexit been highly unpopular in London is bad for britain, anything that benefits london even if has a downside elsewhere is good for britain.

Latest Threads