Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It will be more difficult, and the right to do so will be removed.

As I say, stripping the rights, protections and freedoms of UK citizens is what brexit is all about.

Have a think about what Wordsmiths vision of deregulation actually means.
And your latest incarnation goes onto ignore.

Begone dullard...

Wordsmith

The march got a low volume of media coverage, a large majority of those who voted to leave the EU are in the bottom third of earners in the country, they couldn’t afford the train to London in a zillion years. The withdrawal bill will get through one way or the other. Trade is looking an absolute cluster, if it’s no deal by Christmas I can’t see a way back. TM begging for more time isn’t going to help.
My bold.

Low income folk driving their employers away isn't particularly smart

News from the PM
Deal is 95% done
View attachment 358500
Mark mardells prog yesterday lunchtime on R4 did a piece on the border from the border.it was quite telling the interview with the bloke who runs a dairy just south of the border. His take was that the U.K. will just have to accommodate the customs union as otherwise they would struggle and Irish beef farmers would be fecked.
Soo let me get this right.for the convenience of the citizens of a forighn country’s income stream we just have to keep things exactly as they are...............because if we don’t they will connive with others with a different agenda to ensure we are hurt financially with a no deal.
Grand.

Mark mardells prog yesterday lunchtime on R4 did a piece on the border from the border.it was quite telling the interview with the bloke who runs a dairy just south of the border. His take was that the U.K. will just have to accommodate the customs union as otherwise they would struggle and Irish beef farmers would be fecked.
Soo let me get this right.for the convenience of the citizens of a forighn country’s income stream we just have to keep things exactly as they are...............because if we don’t they will connive with others with a different agenda to ensure we are hurt financially with a no deal.
Grand.

Farmers on the border, and the TD's complicit in the scams, make a bloody fortune EU subsidies out of their highly mobile herds.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
May's duplicity comes back to bite her - much of the cabinet no longer trust what she says.

Theresa May faces Cabinet revolt after extraordinary last-minute call with ministers to shore up support
Theresa May is facing a Cabinet revolt after attempting to shore up support for her Brexit plans during an hour-and-a-half long conference call with her ministers.

Esther McVey, the Work and Pensions Secretary, is said to have told the Prime Minister that she was "devastated" by plans to extend the Brexit transition period in a bid to strike a deal with the EU. Sajid Javid, the Home Secretary, warned the Prime Minister there must be a time limit on her customs backstop amid concerns that it could leave Britain indefinitely tied to Brussels.
After being told by the Attorney General that May's last proposed agreement with the EU would leave the UK lumbered with a customers border in the midst of the Irish sea which the EU could keep in place in perpetuity by simply refusing changes to the original agreement, anything May tells the Cabinet is now being treated with deep distrust.

In particular, the Attorney General is sure to be asked for a legal opinion on where the UK can unilaterally withdraw from the yet to be agreed transition arrangements at a time of its own choosing, or whether we would need EU approval. Anything requiring EU approval looks set to be rejected by the Cabinet.

May is increasingly becoming both an irrelevance and a hindrance to the negotiations.

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So I never mentioned anything about "public opinion" thank you for admitting that!
You don't think that existing situation includes public opinion? How naive you are, or duplicitous.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
May's duplicity comes back to bite her - much of the cabinet no longer trust what she says.

Theresa May faces Cabinet revolt after extraordinary last-minute call with ministers to shore up support

After being told by the Attorney General that May's last proposed agreement with the EU would leave the UK lumbered with a customers border in the midst of the Irish sea which the EU could keep in place in perpetuity by simply refusing changes to the original agreement, anything May tells the Cabinet is now being treated with deep distrust.

In particular, the Attorney General is sure to be asked for a legal opinion on where the UK can unilaterally withdraw from the yet to be agreed transition arrangements at a time of its own choosing, or whether we would need EU approval. Anything requiring EU approval looks set to be rejected by the Cabinet.

May is increasingly becoming both an irrelevance and a hindrance to the negotiations.

Wordsmith
Just like many (most) Remainers, Mrs May just can't admit to being wrong! She has been the brake on negotiations ever since her Lancaster House speech went so well and she shat herself thinking she had agreed to Brexit!

It will be more difficult, and the right to do so will be removed.

As I say, stripping the rights, protections and freedoms of UK citizens is what brexit is all about.

Have a think about what Wordsmiths vision of deregulation actually means.

It's a bit of a straw man when people claim we can still work in Europe. Of course, but only only for the rich/well qualified. Unlike now where anyone can pop over to Belgium etc, to apply for the Delaize graduate scheme, such opportunities will cease when we leave. Or pop over to Germany to study their MSc for the same fees as a German national (or any EU member state).

I find this analysis on the reasons people leave to be interesting - haven't read the primary article yet, but interesting all the same:

How the government’s pro-remain leaflet shaped the EU referendum | SPERI

(It's really interesting that the governments leaflet reduced the likelyhood of voting leave in the same type of people targeted by Cambridge Analytica),

Last edited:
You don't think that existing situation includes public opinion? How naive you are, or duplicitous.
When applicable to the courts, in a comment regarding a legal issue I thought it would be clear that I was referring to the "current legal situation". Obviously some are hard of thinking either by nature or on purpose!

It's a bit of a straw man when people claim we can still work in Europe. Of course, but only only for the rich/well qualified. Unlike now where anyone can pop over to Belgium etc, to apply for the Delaize graduate scheme, such opportunities will cease when we leave. Or pop over to Germany to study their MSc for the same fees as a German national (or any EU member state).

I find this analysis on the reasons people leave to be interesting - haven't read the primary article yet, but interesting all the same:

How the government’s pro-remain leaflet shaped the EU referendum | SPERI
And of course some people never went to Europe to study before the EU came into existence

And of course some people never went to Europe to study before the EU came into existence

If you re-read my post, you'll see the point is it is cheaper for students to do that. When we leave it will be less accessible for people to do.

Still it won't affect the spawn of people like RM, Banks etc. Those kind of "some people" you mean.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Just like many (most) Remainers, Mrs May just can't admit to being wrong! She has been the brake on negotiations ever since her Lancaster House speech went so well and she shat herself thinking she had agreed to Brexit!
May's other problem is her habit of running away from problems. The pattern you can see throughout the negotiations is her accepting the EU's proposals because they seem to her to be the easy way out - only for those proposals to be savaged by the Brexit wing of the party who point out (correctly) accepting them would condemn us to being a client state of the EU in perpetuity.

Wordsmith