Brexit Phase Two - Trade

It was obvious to everyone that this would be the likely outcome.
well they're welcome. After all Scotland has been told it would have to re-apply, ROI is already in and in the Euro which just leaves Wales and possibly Cornwall who would be in the Scottish predicament, it just makes no sense as the Irish are finding out

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The other night at dinner with the 27MS Heads of Government. They went out for a beer because they concluded that May had nothing new to say and what she did say was without any real conviction. The EU want to deal with a PM who'll keep her side of the bargain...
She already knew she was not being invited to stay for dinner. it had been widely reported. (And anyway the BE puts on a good feed)
So the breakdown, non existent then?

All she did was fail to get her way and not give them enough to waste their time again in November. The Eu aren’t our, or her enemies. She’s got enough backstabbers in her own party.

Where is the evidence that it was 'age' and not 'year born'?

For me, if the Brexit vote was driven by conservative voters, then I'd agree with you. It wasn't so I cannot =)
could I ask you to note my assertion that with change with age which is down to experience. Of course it was driven by conservative voters, we were promised a referendum, by the conservatives, unlike Labour who did and never delivered.If Labour had promised a referendum I'd probably voted Labour- quite simple really- Scientists Pah

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The other night at dinner with the 27MS Heads of Government. They went out for a beer because they concluded that May had nothing new to say and what she did say was without any real conviction. The EU want to deal with a PM who'll keep her side of the bargain...
Perhaps the Italians could try putting a horse's head in Ollie Robbins's bed?

Wordsmith :smile:

...... or do what they want. You should know the bargain is what's struck- not what's promised.

I think we pay the Eu half a percent of our gdp. Looks a lot on the side of a bus, but in the overall spend.
Look at the admin costs for the notional 100 quid lent to the EU.

could I ask you to note my assertion that with change with age which is down to experience. Of course it was driven by conservative voters, we were promised a referendum, by the conservatives, unlike Labour who did and never delivered.If Labour had promised a referendum I'd probably voted Labour- quite simple really- Scientists Pah
Did a majority of Conservative and Labour constituencies vote to leave in the EU referendum?

According to the above conservative did vote to leave by a majority, although I'm still not convinced political affiliation drove the vote, but that's still rather large majorities of leave for both parties :)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Look at the admin costs for the notional 100 quid lent to the EU.
It doesn’t matter, it’s immaterial. We pay 0.5% for membership. If we want to throw money into something extra that’s all negotiated.

Oh wait, you’re right I was wrong. I forgot the rebate they give us back on our 0.5%

It doesn’t matter, it’s immaterial. We pay 0.5% for membership. If we want to throw money into something extra that’s all negotiated.
Rejected at the referendum would be more accurate

Still playing catch up here (and supposed to be doing some admin), hence my unusual working day presence here on line.

Anyway - my point.

Would you please be so kind as to add the caveat when next you are apologising that your apology does not include me, on the basis that

a. You don't speak for me
b. My preference was and is for UK rather than EU style democracy?

Thanks
That's alright. I retired for the 3rd time 6 weeks ago and I'm so busy I have to catch up on such a fulsome thread.

I've never mentioned you so no need to worry on that point.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
According to the above conservative did vote to leave by a majority, although I'm still not convinced political affiliation drove the vote, but that's still rather large majorities of leave for both parties.
The issues on the doorstep were complex. I had a very amiable argument with a banker who loathed the EU but feared for the impact of Brexit on banking jobs. So he was voting Remain - not out of a love for the EU, but from fear of the consequences of Brexit.

Interestingly, he told me he feared a house price collapse in the event of a Brexit vote. Which didn't happen. Nor - thus far - has the banking industry been seriously affected by our decision to leave the EU.

I wonder what he thinks of his vote now?

Wordsmith

Don't make it a fact though, especially as it assumes that the circumstances pertaining to the previous vote (impending Armageddon, easiest trade deals in history, tales on a bus) are the same as they were.

Now, as a military man, would you be happy with taking the int picture from 2 years ago as still valid?
Certainly not. I'd be extremely keen on much more current int. You?

I have followed your outpourings for a page or three whilst catching up (some of us work you know). Your propensity for dancing on the head of a pin is legendary, and so is your most un-scientist like habit of confusing fact with opinion.

The voting demographic, and the changes to it over time could be described as fact (give or take). But voting intentions, or rather the prediction of, are not.

Ascribing fact-like qualities to such descriptions is, as we truckies say, pseudoscientific bollox.
Might want to have a word with Wordmangler whilst you're at it.

Last edited:
Its perfectly workable if the EU was willing to grasp the nettle of the endemic corruption in the RoI government that has condoned smuggling as part and parcel of its economy.
Behind every smuggling racket is a TD
Money laundering capital of the world is?

The REAL reason the EU has weaponised the RoI/NI border issue is nothing to do with smuggling though.

The EU is simply trying to break off NI from the UK and create a United Ireland under EU auspices.

Repeat after me… all hail, the EU! Creater of a new Greater EUtopia!
See the doc, get your dosage adjusted.

Latest Threads