Brexit Phase Two - Trade

View attachment 357869
View attachment 357870
I'm not in the market for a Jaguar or a Land Rover. Certainly not now. Shame for the UK workforce and suppliers.
JLR is a business, the government is telling manufactures to prepare, they're preparing by shutting down due to the uncertain business climate created by this government.

JLR opts for EU over UK - Automotive Manufacturing Solutions

They've planned a Slovak plant for some time, do you think they should wave the flag and lose money to suit you?

Do you ever post anything other than one liners?

Do you ever actually generate longer posts with a chains of reasoning in them, or is your entire reasoning that "Brexit is a cake and arse party".

A little evidence of thought processes would be much appreciated.

Wordsmith
Brevity is a good thing. Brexit is a cake and arrse party.

JLR are just another car now.
The big 4x4’s are dinosaurs, the big saloons are ancient and long past their sell by date.
JLRs future is mid market electric cars and chav soft roaders - no hand craftsmanship required.
I’ve long thought the car has long slid down the want list. They’re not that interesting any more. The balance that has to be struck is convenience, which PT doesn’t provide. The internet has to be the way forward.

JLR is a business, the government is telling manufactures to prepare, they're preparing by shutting down due to the uncertain business climate created by this government.

They've planned a Slovak plant for some time, do you think they should wave the flag and lose money to suit you?
Not particularly.
I'm not in the market for a Jaguar or a Land Rover.
I'm not in the market for an MG either. Electric with extender might have made some JLR products popular in the UK. There are buyers who would like the option to buy British. Sometimes that can swing a sale, though the market is less forgiving of reliability issues, particularly when paying a bit more than they might have done. Goodbye Jaguar or should I say TATA...

Hm I quite agree, but it is implicit in EU rules that countries cannot use state aid to help Business get an advantage because it undermines the level playing field. Now don’t forget that JLR will get tax write offs in this country as well and that cheaper workforce is a significant advantage to the country in question. This means that the EU would sanction a significant disadvantage to another member. It being an Eastern member only minimally mitigates the asset sripping of Rover to benefit BMW. In other words, the EU cannot be trusted either in customs policy or trade.

Excise is not at a Customs matter, it is a residual of our shared history in which the departments were combined for the treasury, but the reality is that Excise is where fuel sits, wine and alcholol wet warehousing and tobacco controls. It is therefore a matter for the revenue. As such it is the Police or the Revenue acting with police who have jurisdiction in this matter not Customs, So I'm not wrong. It's why our departments did what they did. My Bold Thank you for that admission.
It does not matter that you are outside Shengen as Schengen is not a Customs matter but immigration, which is also now an EU competency. As such your Customs and Excise is ultra vires. Frontex is not just a co-operation agency, matters could have been resolved by transferring both our customs staffs to Frontex in 2008 WIE and have EU rates of pay. But then we all know that Frontex is the sham of the Final Frontier.
You right it isn’t but in Ireland it is customs (who are part of Revenue) who collect it.

Have a look at the UCC, definition of “customs authorities”.

The EC website says that HMRC

The FRONTEX regulation specifically says the previous competencies with regard to customs are unchanged. FRONTEX is a co-ordination and support body.

At least we will be able to negotiate with them, as we have done in the past. The EU have demonstrated that they are not for negotiating, indeed not able to negotiate : EU way or the highway is their POV.
Really because I’ll think you’ll find the EU has negotiated a number of trade deals

So in effect there is no excuse for the existence of Irish Customs and Excise.
Revenue have a number of roles, collect of all taxes, all customs duties, all excise duties, VAT etc etc

What border? I thought there was no border, it is this the EU trying to get round the blame for this issue?
There is an international border currently, due to the CTA there is no controls on movement of people.

Cross an international border and that country’s legislation (eg VRT) applies.

There is currently no customs border, once the UK leaves the CU there will be.

Brevity is a good thing. Brexit is a cake and arrse party.
Aha! A one liner. If all your one liners were added together, they would make.....a one liner.
Maybe one and a teeny bit.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Must be a very worrying time for you @irlsgt , Armageddon just around the corner and there is deck all you can do about it, especially as yer man Leo has sold you down the Swanee (aka Seine or Spree).

Snipped...

There is currently no customs border, once the UK leaves the CU there will be.
You may have already said, so apologies if you have, but this is rather a long thread - What are your views, as an Irishman, if it is a hard Brexit and the UK does not impose a hard border and reduces or abolishes tariffs on many goods - would the EU or Ireland have primacy in deciding the type of border from the Irish side?

I wonder if Blair is claiming consultancy fees from the EU for advising them re Brexit.

If he is and that becomes public knowledge, I predict a first class $hit storm.

Wordsmith
You're the guy who generates longer posts with chains of reasoning in them? You forgot to add that they're fuelled by fear, loathing and paranoia.

The FRONTEX regulation specifically says the previous competencies with regard to customs are unchanged..
really, now that is interesting so Frontex is really the Old Customs Co-operation council dressed up, thought that had died a death. Tricky point this. If Lisbon is now declared the font of European Customs but implies that articles 32/30 have not been withdrawn-who is actually responsible for Customs- the answer appears to whatever you think it is it's wrong, but since Juncker is determined to tax illegal activity it's not surprising. Should I ever wind up in Ireland and get stopped by their customs, it could be a see you in court moment. I'm a stickler like that. Cos Frontex contradicts Brussels. Oh and we'd be entitled to ten years rebate on the customs element- Ouch.

french being somewhat phallic today...

The draft no-deal law published by the French government today warns checks on goods at the borders could cause huge disruption.

The document says: 'In the event of withdrawal from the United Kingdom without agreement, British nationals who enjoy the right of free movement and free establishment throughout the European Union, as well as members of their family, will become nationals of third parties and will therefore in principle be subject to common law, that is to say to the requirement to present a visa to enter the French territory and to justify a residence permit to stay there.

'In case of withdrawal from the United Kingdom of the European Union without agreement, British nationals currently residing in France and their family members would be staying illegally.'

Revenue have a number of roles, collect of all taxes, all customs duties, all excise duties, VAT etc etc
It's still an excuse. Revenue collect the money for the Treasury but they were always split between Customs and inland. There a is simple explanation for this. Inland there is usually a continuous tax policy whereas customs depends on an ad hoc importation of goods. Now technically from 2008 anything within the EU that is an offence falls to national police forces not not existent Customs forces because Lisbon withdraws 32/30. If there is a national customs residual force it's for the external borders not the internal- the Role that the EU assumed in 2008.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Must be a very worrying time for you @irlsgt , Armageddon just around the corner and there is deck all you can do about it, especially as yer man Leo has sold you down the Swanee (aka Seine or Spree).

Really. If only our own government was as upfront and honest about brexit as the free state crowd have been.
Anywhere else you’d care to have a go at, before we become any ,more of a laughing stock?
Just asking like.