Brexit Phase Two - Trade

The Prime Minister heads to Brussels today with little expectation of unlocking the further progress on Brexit that had been hoped for this month.

Not just farcical but dangerous and damaging to everyone. The referendum result must be scrapped and they can all go home and pretend it didn't happen. Jail the lunatics who protest.
Thank you for your update. Red Dwarf will be here in about 20 minutes

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Erm that's why Blair got rid of customs to comply with Lisbon. Member states should no longer have Customs posts to comply with "Free movement". Lisbon makes it quite clear that Customs amongst other thing is now the remit of Brussels, which is why the Pand R side is part of UKBA and the tax is part of HMRC. So again Ireland is not complying with EU rules-seems to be a common thread. You are not underpinned by the right to defend borders under arts 30 of the treaty of Amsterdam or 32 of the treaty of Rome. Only the EU with Frontex are permitted those roles. So if the ROI provides Frontex staff, fine if not it would be actionable. :-D.

Ireland’s ‘customs checks’ are a rather handy internal border between Ireland and the rest of the EU and the UK. The EUs talking a lot of merde about no ‘hard border’ between the RoI and the UK, there’s always been a fall back one in operation on the external access points for very good security reasons - see even Irish nationals flying to the RoI within the E.U. on an Irish airline having to produce a passport.

Which country voted to leave the EU?

The CTA is nothing whatsoever to do with trade
I agree, however the demands of the Irish Government make it quite clear that they want their cake and eat it. I'm sure a dynamic go getting economy like Ireland has no need to participate in CTA. What is it people don't get. CTA was accepted by the EEC as an agreement between two formerly combined states, because the issue of free movement between them had already been solved. But FOM is not concomitant with the right to vote in National Parliamentary elections. The 22 agreement gives the Irish far more rights in Britain that the EU does across the board but it strikes me that in this argument FOM is irrelevant, Ireland wants the right to influence Britain and the EU(France) sees a means to exploit that. It's interesting that there has been no resurrection of of the claim to the six counties, or that SF have not been more vocal or even bothered with their Parliamentary seats, when their presence is critical to the vote- could they not swallow their pride to swear allegiance to an old woman for Ireland's ends. But of course the ROI couldn't admit that could it, because that would renege on the GFA where both the EU and the ROI recognise NI as part of the UK. So what has worked perfectly well for 30 odd years becomes a storm in a teacup on the principle of a border which the EU and the UK can't guard and the ROI will ignore.

If/when the UK becomes a 3rd country (as is currently the case) the staff enforcing the law in the Blue, Green and Red Customs Channels in Dublin Airport are employed by (Irish) Revenue and carry this badge:
Google Image Result for http://www.customscollector.com/images/stories/insignia/Ireland/Ireland_badge_02.jpg
Cripes, look at that badge! The word 'Revenue' surrounded by the EU starry circle. They really are making sure that everyone knows whose bitch they are when it comes to collecting the money!

Last edited:
Erm that's why Blair got rid of customs to comply with Lisbon. Member states should no longer have Customs posts to comply with "Free movement". Lisbon makes it quite clear that Customs amongst other thing is now the remit of Brussels, which is why the Pand R side is part of UKBA and the tax is part of HMRC. So again Ireland is not complying with EU rules-seems to be a common thread. You are not underpinned by the right to defend borders under arts 30 of the treaty of Amsterdam or 32 of the treaty of Rome. Only the EU with Frontex are permitted those roles. So if the ROI provides Frontex staff, fine if not it would be actionable. :-D.
Customs is an EU competency

There is Customs posts in the EU but only on external borders so at ports and airports for vessels & flights arriving from non-EU counties and on land borders with non-EU states.

Excise is a national issue for that reason you see Irish Customs Officers on the NI border. As they happen to be responsible for its collection (the big ones on the Irish border being Green/Red Diesel and VRT).

FRONTEX are a co-ordination agency. Day to day tasks are undertaken by national authorities (so you will not see FRONTEX staff carrying out inspections of containers from the US that have routed red in Liverpool for example, you’ll see UKBF doing it).

Ireland and the UK weren’t initially members of FRONTEX as we are outside Schegen (the UK subsequently joined FRONTEX). Imho we should join FRONTEX as we already co-operate with it).

good news everybody. Michelle Barnier is going to let us stay in thrall another year.
Presumably Blair et al have convinced him that they can deliver another referendum with the correct result if they have another year to drip their form of 'goodthink' into the masses.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Spreadsheet Phil having another go at Project Fear.

Britain will face £36 billion Brexit bill if it fails to agree a trade deal with EU, Chancellor warns MPs
Britain will still have to pay the EU up to £36 billion if it fails to agree a trade deal, Philip Hammond has claimed, as Brussels said no deal is now “more likely than ever”.

The Chancellor told Cabinet ministers the UK would be unlikely to win any legal battle to withhold large chunks of the Brexit bill, despite previous Government promises that the payment was conditional on a deal.

Mr Hammond’s comments angered Eurosceptics, who described his stance as “mystifying”. However, sources close to the Chancellor insisted he was as frustrated as his colleagues with the EU’s intransigence, and was merely setting out legal advice the Treasury had been given.
Given that a major part of the money sent to the EU is based on the VAT collected in the UK - and we would no longer be required to send that after a hard Brexit - I suspect Spreadsheet Phil (a strong believer in remaining in the EU) is talking about a 'worse' case scenario.

I suspect he won't publish the advice he claims to have.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile (and the EU will love this).

US ready to negotiate free trade deal with UK 'as soon as' Britain quits the EU, says Trump envoy
The US has confirmed it will be “well prepared” to start negotiations on a post-Brexit trade deal with Britain “as soon as” the UK has left the European Union.

Donald Trump, the US President, has formally notified Congress of his intention to initiate negotiations on a trade agreement in a major boost for Theresa May as she heads to Brussels for a crunch summit.
I suspect that'll result in the US imports undercutting those from the EU and a loss of business for the EU. As Trump loathes the EU, it also probably result in UK exports replacing some EU exports to the US.

There will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth in Brussels....

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you ever post anything other than one liners?

Do you ever actually generate longer posts with a chains of reasoning in them, or is your entire reasoning that "Brexit is a cake and arse party".

A little evidence of thought processes would be much appreciated.

Wordsmith
Why, how would it help?
Your stuff is largely copied predictions, wild interpretations of the rise of the right destroying the Eu or just plain wrong.

But John Major, as he’s prone to do. Stuck the boot in rather well.
‘They persuaded a deceived population to vote to be weaker and poorer’.
If there’s any justice your neighbours will remember you.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Presumably Blair et al have convinced him that they can deliver another referendum with the correct result if they have another year to drip their form of 'goodthink' into the masses.
I wonder if Blair is claiming consultancy fees from the EU for advising them re Brexit.

If he is and that becomes public knowledge, I predict a first class $hit storm.

Wordsmith

I wonder if Blair is claiming consultancy fees from the EU for advising them re Brexit.

If he is and that becomes public knowledge, I predict a first class $hit storm.

Wordsmith

Blair hides all his business interests behind what the Guardian described as the most labyrinthine abd impenetrable arrangement of offshore shell companies and dead end holding companies its investigators had ever seen.

Why, it’s almost As if he has something to hide.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Meanwhile (and the EU will love this).

US ready to negotiate free trade deal with UK 'as soon as' Britain quits the EU, says Trump envoy

I suspect that'll result in the US imports undercutting those from the EU and a loss of business for the EU. As Trump loathes the EU, it also probably result in UK exports replacing some EU exports to the US.

There will be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth in Brussels....

Wordsmith
Will all potential exporters to the USofA have to learn American to be able to deal with them or can they understand English? :jocolor:

Cripes, look at that badge! The word 'Revenue' surrounded by the EU starry circle. They really are making sure that everyone knows whose bitch they are when it comes to collecting the money!
Well with regards to Customs they are enforcing EU law, they are facilitating and securing trade across the EU’s external borders

Why, how would it help?
Your stuff is largely copied predictions, wild interpretations of the rise of the right destroying the Eu or just plain wrong.

But John Major, as he’s prone to do. Stuck the boot in rather well.
‘They persuaded a deceived population to vote to be weaker and poorer’.
If there’s any justice your neighbours will remember you.
I’m really losing patience with you , you mentally incontinent educated half wit.
This is supposed to be a thread to discuss trade. Every Time I stop for a coffee, put my feet up and check in case there has been an interesting post on trade, you are filling pages with one line crap !
I appreciate you have very little to fill your life and Aparrently know the square root of f#ck all about doing business, which you demonstrate every single day, all day ,without fail.
But here’s a radical thought.take your gnomic one liners and either ram them where the sun don’t shine, or take them to the brexit consiquences thread.
( or one of the others , god only knows you have enough choice).
I realise non of the sentient adults on here read them anymore but I’m sure with your erudite experience and wit you can resurrect them.
Meanwhile leaving some of us with a job the ability to catch up on the trade thread in a minute or so without having to wade through pages of your trite, non relevant to trade guff.
Sorry to be blunt but get a bloody grip ( or mods get a grip)
Yours CB.

Ireland’s ‘customs checks’ are a rather handy internal border between Ireland and the rest of the EU and the UK. The EUs talking a lot of merde about no ‘hard border’ between the RoI and the UK, there’s always been a fall back one in operation on the external access points for very good security reasons - see even Irish nationals flying to the RoI within the E.U. on an Irish airline having to produce a passport.
The border between NI and Ireland is there, customs officials patrol it (and the rest of the State) in order to monitor compliance with excise taxes which are national taxes

Ireland isn’t in Schegen
Part of the reason for that is aviation security

Latest Threads