Brexit Phase Two - Trade

There has been a major miscalculation on the DUPs part. I can see them getting hung out to dry here.
I should point out that I have never been a DUP fan. We could well be looking at two dishes getting served stone cold. It could yet save the Conservative party.

I'm not very well versed on politics your side of the water (though half a lifetime ago I had the rather grand title of Officer Commanding Newry (as if)) but I assume you're referring to the different branches of Unionism in NI.

EstoniaKersti Kaljulaid, president since 2016, the first woman to hold the office and the youngest president of Estonia

LithuaniaDalia Grybauskaite, president since 2009, first woman to hold the office and the first President of Lithuania to be re-elected;

Malta – Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca, president since 2014, former minister for the Family and Social Solidarity

ETA: I'd omitted to include the small island state off the coast of mainland Europe.
The one bearing the George Cross.

The decision on an Irish border will be made in Westminster - a process on which the DUP will have some (but not the dominant) influence on.

In addition the 'moon howling' DUP are sticking up for the interests of their constituents. As they are largely Protestant and opposed to a United Ireland, I doubt they would describe DUP are 'moon howling' - more responding to the desires of the voters that elected them.

Wordsmith
Not sure what you mean by “Irish border”?

I see some of the usual suspects are making the old mistake of assuming that NI and Tax contributions are kept in a pot for them to splurge upon reaching retirement age! :D
Erm actually it IS contractual. The fact that the money is spent prior to the application is similar to most ponzi schemes. The flaw is in the notional inflation factors which affect the value of the contribution, however the end product is an entitlement. Originally like Road Fund Licence, the money was hypothecated. However the original entitlement came at age 70 when the lifespan was considerably less and would normally be for a shorter period. The fact that the State has not made provision for changing life spans, driven by the health service-who have never been able to cope at any time is a matter for Government of the day.

There are thus three strands in the problems.
(1) The health programs were originally designed to drive down use of the NHS ie. anti smoking, diet etc.
(2) The money used by the NHS for lifesaving technology has actually reduced mortality, but no thought has been given to the ongoing support needed. That and the concept that every problem needs a solution has driven up costs.
(3) Lastly the fact that the oldies have survived because of 1 and for longer is now resented by the youngsters who have to pay with their funds. Well tough we paid for their education and opportunities and their wants-now they want to run away because that's their norm.

I've just done some rough maths and It turns out that in the last 15 years of my working life, I've paid almost £1 million in tax.
Cheers.
Alcohol tax?

Not sure what you mean by “Irish border”?
Please Sir . . . me, me, me . . . is it that arbitrarily drawn line in the sand which separated present day Norn Iron from the remainder of the kingdom of Ulster in 1922?

It does and it makes hundreds of millions more as a result.
He'd not pay for a pitch in the local market, set up on the edge of town and expect the custom to follow him.

Please Sir . . . me, me, me . . . is it that arbitrarily drawn line in the sand which separated present day Norn Iron from the remainder of the kingdom of Ulster in 1922?

Is it time to roll out the piccie of the font in the Roman Catholic chapel at Sandhurst. Portland stone, Celtic design, badges of the Irish Infantry Regiments and the 4 quadrants of Irish marble (name escapes me) representing Connaught, Leinster, Munster and Ulster (in its 9 counties)?

DSC02582e.jpg
DSC02583e.jpg

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not very well versed on politics your side of the water (though half a lifetime ago I had the rather grand title of Officer Commanding Newry (as if)) but I assume you're referring to the different branches of Unionism in NI.

Unionists not heavily represented in Newry in those days, the Seamus Mallon would have been the Mp in your day. Now a Sinn Fein holdout.
Between the Dup and the shinners they’ve carved the place up. MP wise.

Assembly wise the moderates are very much weakened too, but they still have a presence. A collapse in the DUP may give the moderate unionists a few more seats at Westminster and the assembly.

Leaving SF as the major party and possibly first minister. That’s why, I think, SF have been doing a Labour and keeping the head down at the moment

Hardly leaving the EU at all.

Instead of being in with lots of hard won opt outs (costing a fortune but with influence) it will be out with lots of essential opt ins (costing a fortune but with no influence).
The issues are minimal but important as I said said before, they involve the concept of who controls trade in Europe and Britain as an economic power not in Europe but of it. If as I suspect Europe wins or "appears" to-it will be Phyrric because the Global scene is changing under their feet. Rules are made to be broken especially if there is no means of applying them. The WTO may not exist much longer in it's current format. Ultimately trade does not exist for Politicians to control, it exists because of profit. Politician exist on the back of Profit. Abiding by certain guidelines is fine until someone gains an advantage, the the screeching starts. It was Juncker who said we could not stay in the CU and by definition the single market originally.

But the importance of Britain is underlined once again, it's why the Romans, the Danes and the Normans came. It's why Napoleon tried to blockade us and it's why the EU has to erradicate us. Democrats among us will of course abide by what Parliament decides and I suspect that if the perception is that Europe wins the winners will have the bad taste to crow. But don't think that the arguments over the EU will cease or that we're the only ones with a gripe. Immigration and it's control is not the sole province of Britain, eastern Europe have long memories.

So the UK hasn't got an appetite for unlimited immigration? Is BL is confusing the public for big business or Hannan?

Has BL been telling fibs again?

The UK doesn't have an appetite for unlimited immigration. It does, however, have an appetite for immigration which already brings in more immigrants from outside the EU than from within. If your fantasy Brexit imagines immigration will fall then you will be disappointed to learn that they will not be Europeans.

Latest Threads