Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Not sure what you mean by “Irish border”?
Please Sir . . . me, me, me . . . is it that arbitrarily drawn line in the sand which separated present day Norn Iron from the remainder of the kingdom of Ulster in 1922?

It does and it makes hundreds of millions more as a result.
He'd not pay for a pitch in the local market, set up on the edge of town and expect the custom to follow him.

Please Sir . . . me, me, me . . . is it that arbitrarily drawn line in the sand which separated present day Norn Iron from the remainder of the kingdom of Ulster in 1922?

Is it time to roll out the piccie of the font in the Roman Catholic chapel at Sandhurst. Portland stone, Celtic design, badges of the Irish Infantry Regiments and the 4 quadrants of Irish marble (name escapes me) representing Connaught, Leinster, Munster and Ulster (in its 9 counties)?

DSC02582e.jpg
DSC02583e.jpg

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not very well versed on politics your side of the water (though half a lifetime ago I had the rather grand title of Officer Commanding Newry (as if)) but I assume you're referring to the different branches of Unionism in NI.

Unionists not heavily represented in Newry in those days, the Seamus Mallon would have been the Mp in your day. Now a Sinn Fein holdout.
Between the Dup and the shinners they’ve carved the place up. MP wise.

Assembly wise the moderates are very much weakened too, but they still have a presence. A collapse in the DUP may give the moderate unionists a few more seats at Westminster and the assembly.

Leaving SF as the major party and possibly first minister. That’s why, I think, SF have been doing a Labour and keeping the head down at the moment

Hardly leaving the EU at all.

Instead of being in with lots of hard won opt outs (costing a fortune but with influence) it will be out with lots of essential opt ins (costing a fortune but with no influence).
The issues are minimal but important as I said said before, they involve the concept of who controls trade in Europe and Britain as an economic power not in Europe but of it. If as I suspect Europe wins or "appears" to-it will be Phyrric because the Global scene is changing under their feet. Rules are made to be broken especially if there is no means of applying them. The WTO may not exist much longer in it's current format. Ultimately trade does not exist for Politicians to control, it exists because of profit. Politician exist on the back of Profit. Abiding by certain guidelines is fine until someone gains an advantage, the the screeching starts. It was Juncker who said we could not stay in the CU and by definition the single market originally.

But the importance of Britain is underlined once again, it's why the Romans, the Danes and the Normans came. It's why Napoleon tried to blockade us and it's why the EU has to erradicate us. Democrats among us will of course abide by what Parliament decides and I suspect that if the perception is that Europe wins the winners will have the bad taste to crow. But don't think that the arguments over the EU will cease or that we're the only ones with a gripe. Immigration and it's control is not the sole province of Britain, eastern Europe have long memories.

So the UK hasn't got an appetite for unlimited immigration? Is BL is confusing the public for big business or Hannan?

Has BL been telling fibs again?

The UK doesn't have an appetite for unlimited immigration. It does, however, have an appetite for immigration which already brings in more immigrants from outside the EU than from within. If your fantasy Brexit imagines immigration will fall then you will be disappointed to learn that they will not be Europeans.

The UK doesn't have an appetite for unlimited immigration. It does, however, have an appetite for immigration which already brings in more immigrants from outside the EU than from within. If your fantasy Brexit imagines immigration will fall then you will be disappointed to learn that they will not be Europeans.
I've NEVER argued against immigration; only free movement. So hopefully that'll kill that strawman.

And yes, I do think immigration will fall if we leave the EU because it'll become a political football, and votes will be won or lost over the numbers. We can hold our government accountable.

I'm also not arsed where immigrants come from; it's almost like you're implying I'm a racist because you think I prefer white EU migrants as opposed to Indian or African ones. I really don't care as long as they're needed and self-supporting. I'm a non-EU immigrant myself.

Or is it yourself that's a racist?

I've NEVER argued against immigration; only free movement. So hopefully that'll kill that strawman.

And yes, I do think immigration will fall if we leave the EU because it'll become a political football, and votes will be won or lost over the numbers. We can hold our government accountable.

I'm also not arsed where immigrants come from; it's almost like you're implying I'm a racist because you think I prefer white EU migrants as opposed to Indian or African ones. I really don't care as long as they're needed and self-supporting. I'm a non-EU immigrant myself.

Or is it yourself that's a racist?

You appear to be chasing your own tail.

I'm aware of your heritage. I don't think immigration will fall, they'll just be from elsewhere. EU immigration will be replaced by others.

Has anyone any idea how the EU budget chief got his post? Was he voted in?
European Commissioner - Wikipedia

Each Commissioner is first nominated by their member state in consultation with the Commission President. The President's team is then subject to hearings at the European Parliament, which questions them and then votes on their suitability as a whole. If members of the team are found to be inappropriate, the President must then reshuffle the team or request a new candidate from the member state or risk the whole Commission being voted down.[citation needed] As Parliament cannot vote against individual Commissioners there is usually a compromise whereby the worst candidates are removed but minor objections are put aside, or dealt with by adjusting portfolios, so the Commission can take office. Once the team is approved by the Parliament, it is formally put into office by the European Council(TEU Article 17:7).[citation needed]

Latest Threads