Brexit Phase Two - Trade

All my savings are in ISAs and not paying tax in the UK (nor in Belgium actually, due to the scheme I'm on to encourage overseas scientists to come here). So nope, you get nothing from me (actually I still pull out as I have lifetime ISAs ;) )
This temerity of yours knows no bound does it. You tax avoid, then you spout

[/Quote]As for your other points, if it's not sustainable, do you still believe bankrupting the country just so you can continue as we were? After all the biggest draw on our taxes are the elderly - they're the biggest users of the NHS, and the pension is the majority of the welfare budget.[/quote]

Magnificent

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Hey you are back - I thought you ran away after you got pulled apart on another thread for justifying attacks on Israel.

You disgusting anti-semite.
Just another English man with an Irish passport. The ERG chap on the radio the other night must have thought , ‘if he’s got one then the paddies will give them to anyone’

Bishrub, swap that round.
Very good, but the article only says UK boats may not be able to land fish in EU ports. The reverse also applies.

It's a bit like a story in the Times today talking about how Falkland Islanders are 'in fear' of not selling their calamari to the EU - 20% of the EU's consumption - compared with stories about no more bacon sarnies in the UK after brexit. In trade there has to be a buyer and a seller.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Generally the old people on this thread don't like to hear that they are a burden.
I can assure you that being a burden worries me not one jot and won't keep me awake at nights. To think I am a burden to you only increases my pleasure!

Interestin column in The Times by the Deputy political Editor:

Civil war that sparked Dominic Raab’s last-ditch mission to kill deal

Stand out paragrahs for me:

In truth Mr Raab flew into Brussels to stop a plan by EU negotiators slipping into a “technical agreement” with the assent of the British negotiating team, and hence the final deal. He and his fellow cabinet colleagues felt it conceded too much ground to the EU, would be politically unsellable in the Commons and imperilled the union. Put another way, Mr Raab hit the stop button because different bits of the British government still cannot agree over what to do next.
and

Cabinet ministers believe Mr Robbins and his negotiating team were indicating last week Britain could sign up to a complex fudge in its place. The EU would promise that it would sign up to an all-UK customs zone after next March, whilst writing into law a backstop based on a Northern Ireland-only plan now. Dubbed the “backstop to the backstop”, it caused horror among unionist MPs and the DUP, even as Mr Robbins appeared to be contemplating it last week in Brussels.
There's quite a bit more to the article - not least of which is TM's disfunctional leadership, but it is good to see Oily Robbins getting a wake-up call during his Brussels love-in.

Come now. You're a bit player in a theatre of the absurd governed by a ship of fools; you could at least try to enjoy the show.

I was in Vienna in August and got to see this painting for the first time:

why were you looking at pictures?

surely you should have been scourging yourself through the streets shouting 'sorry, wow is me for brexit'.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Rejoice, rejoice at the news of a Royal conception?

A surprise GE?
Oh look, a seagull has shat on your head, a surprise GE? You really do clutch at straws sometimes.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
From the BBC, the view on Brexit from Berlin, where it seems ministers are trying to calm stormy waters. Hmmmm.

Berlin's view of the 'Brexit breakdown'

An interesting bit from the article asked why the EU should allow UK better conditions than EU members have.

but why, he asked, would the EU want to offer the UK an advantage over its own member states?
My question is why does the EU offer disadvantageous conditions to their own members? The EU admits that being able to do trade deals is good for countries but is deliberately stopping countries from improving their lot, just for an ideal.

I am glad to be out of the EU - sooner the better.

More bad news for amusing blubber and lackbag, ageism to be made a hate crime.