Brexit Phase Two - Trade

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Better than your magic, there's an irony to a remain campaign stick in Westminster, making a hash of a simple task.

Remainer propaganda tour bus showing 'bogus figures' tours UK

Watch the video, it's very good.
Dear God. One day we'll look back on all this and wonder how on earth we had taken leave of our senses.
We've an 'expert' on the euro and how the Eu is going to be saved by a small rump of right wing European parties. Apparently it's going to be saved by it being destroyed.

Every brexiter knew exactly what they were voting for, yet what they look to be getting bears no resemblance to what was promised.

No one has answered the question will Brexit make us better off and improve our standing in the world.
If it makes us poorer and reduces our power and influence, what's the point of it?

Now it's down to abuse, from people who are so keen on brexit. They live in Europe.
Maybe the French press and social media filters are giving a view of brexitism not seen elsewhere.

Maybe Brexitism is going well and will be a wonderful success. it just hasn't been properly explained. And an M20 Lorry Park was what Kent always wanted.
Who knows. 'Join the Border Agency. See the M20'.

Interesting statement!

Abandon our allies to favour a proven hostile state because it is stronger? I'm not sure if you understand the meaning of the word "feige"!

whose abandoning who- ISTR the that the French would only participate in Nato if attacked. No one is abandoning anyone. Who has ever intimated that we will drop our military obligations, not Britain. Guess why the allies chose not to attack Russia-cos they lost the last time in the civil war. The last time the Russians were defeated was by the Germans in 1917. Remember. It is the EU who want to form an EU army-[note to self- they haven't formed it YET] Whether it's auspices will be under Nato remains to be seen but given it will probably be French led (yup I can just see that). I'm sure Bugsy will tell you what "Feige" means, He speaks German you know. I KNOW EXACTLY what it means. However on a pragmatic point of view can you see Nato being cohesive on a Putin offensive. And we're not even at war [officially] YET.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The Fixed Term Parliament Act means that an early GE is unlikely. It would require a 2/3 majority of the house or for the government to lose a vote of confidence.

May managed to get a 2/3 majority for her disastrous 2017 GE by maneuvering the other parties into a position where they supported the dissolution of parliament. However, she had (and blew) a 20% lead in the polls - not the slender lead the Tories have now. The Tories would have no interest in going to the country until they have a far better leader in place, the turmoil expected in the months after Brexit has subsided and the new leader has done what all leaders do in the run up to a GE - a giveaway budget and some populist policies.

The DUP is unlikely to bring down the government by a vote of no confidence - they are going to mark May's cards by conspiring with the opposition and ERG to defeat the government's budget proposals. If they do that, May's idea of the UK staying in the custom's union is dead in the water - May won't put it to the Commons for fear of incurring a similar defeat. It would lead to near irresistible calls for her resignation.

Wordsmith
I suppose there's little point in mentioning that the fixed term parliamentary thing didn't stop TM calling a snap GE.
As for the DUP, I think you're wrong (again) and if they aren't given a fudge/way out/ hand written note that the union is safe. They will snap and vote against the governmement.
They won't conspire with the opposition, if they feel they're backed into a corner they'll bite. No matter how miserable the outcome.

how's any of that shafting Wales specifically? Over 60s don't need free swimming. Powers of arrest could be handy for private firms (think bouncers) if properly licensed.
cc
quite agree, but I would go further and reinforce the power of citizens arrest for ex LE personnel, after all it's not as if we don't know the basics. Besides I don't get free swimming.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Fixed Term Parliament Act means that an early GE is unlikely. It would require a 2/3 majority of the house or for the government to lose a vote of confidence.

May managed to get a 2/3 majority for her disastrous 2017 GE by maneuvering the other parties into a position where they supported the dissolution of parliament. However, she had (and blew) a 20% lead in the polls - not the slender lead the Tories have now. The Tories would have no interest in going to the country until they have a far better leader in place, the turmoil expected in the months after Brexit has subsided and the new leader has done what all leaders do in the run up to a GE - a giveaway budget and some populist policies.

The DUP is unlikely to bring down the government by a vote of no confidence - they are going to mark May's cards by conspiring with the opposition and ERG to defeat the government's budget proposals. If they do that, May's idea of the UK staying in the custom's union is dead in the water - May won't put it to the Commons for fear of incurring a similar defeat. It would lead to near irresistible calls for her resignation.

Wordsmith
Voting down the Budget is considered a vote if No Confidence. If a government can't get their spending plans through then they are not governing. They then get a period to return to parliament (3 weeks I think) with new proposals (or the same using different words!) and put it to the House : if it passes then jog on, if it fails again then the government falls.

What I could see happening is DUP voting down the budget but voting with when it returns. If that happened though then Mrs May would need to leave now, Hammond would lose his job and chance at leader/PM.

Lots to play for and lots of politicking to go.

The utterances of Barnier are deliberately toxic: his great "concession" involves NI alone remaining part of the Customs Union.

All that does is shove troublesome border issues into the Irish Sea. Brave talk about "technology solutions" but they do not exist yet and won't until 2022 because EU is changing how the whole Cross Border VAT system works and trying to knacker cheap Chinese imports in terms of tariffs.

It's going to get messy.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The utterances of Barnier are deliberately toxic: his great "concession" involves NI alone remaining part of the Customs Union.

All that does is shove troublesome border issues into the Irish Sea. Brave talk about "technology solutions" but they do not exist yet and won't until 2022 because EU is changing how the whole Cross Border VAT system works and trying to knacker cheap Chinese imports in terms of tariffs.

It's going to get messy.
Barnier has given the grand total of fcuk all since the start of these negotiations. I just wish people would realise that rearranging the words does not necessarily mean a change of tack!

@ Skid;
They won't conspire with the opposition, if they feel they're backed into a corner they'll bite. No matter how miserable the outcome.
Then don't back them into a corner would be the logical advice. IF The GFA says that NI is part of the UK and all parties signed up to that including SF then that's it.
Unless of course the Irish Government rescinds it's statement not to go for the six counties, which sorta implies that SF had implicit approval for it's actions.

Voting down the Budget is considered a vote if No Confidence.
The government disagrees with you.

Theresa May faces Brexit battle as DUP threatens to sabotage government
Downing Street insisted that a defeat on the budget would not amount itself to a vote of no confidence under the terms of the fixed term parliament act, but in reality failing to pass a finance bill would amount to a humiliation for Theresa May, and put her position as prime minister in jeopardy.
If the government are defeated on the budget and the opposition throw their toys out of the pram, May will just invite the opposition to file a formal vote of no confidence. They'll decline to do that because the DUP will back the government and the government will win the no-confidence vote.

The DUP and the ERG will attack the budget because it will give May a bloody nose without triggering a GE. Which is crafty politics. Someone has been doing their homework - and it isn't May.

Wordsmith

whose abandoning who- ISTR the that the French would only participate in Nato if attacked. No one is abandoning anyone. Who has ever intimated that we will drop our military obligations, not Britain.
You did!
you really want to be on the side of the losers?
which indicates you want to be on the other side, which you perceive to be the stronger/better/preferable and that side would be Russia!

I suppose it is a consistent position for leavers though!

E2A that should be "who's abandoning whom?"!
Guess why the allies chose not to attack Russia-cos they lost the last time in the civil war. The last time the Russians were defeated was by the Germans in 1917. Remember. It is the EU who want to form an EU army-[note to self- they haven't formed it YET] Whether it's auspices will be under Nato remains to be seen but given it will probably be French led (yup I can just see that). I'm sure Bugsy will tell you what "Feige" means, He speaks German you know. I KNOW EXACTLY what it means. However on a pragmatic point of view can you see Nato being cohesive on a Putin offensive. And we're not even at war [officially] YET.
Wibble and use of caplock, also par for the course!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The government disagrees with you.

Theresa May faces Brexit battle as DUP threatens to sabotage government

If the government are defeated on the budget and the opposition throw their toys out of the pram, May will just invite the opposition to file a formal vote of no confidence. They'll decline to do that because the DUP will back the government and the government will win the no-confidence vote.

The DUP and the ERG will attack the budget because it give May a bloody nose without triggering a GE. Which is crafty politics. Someone has been doing their homework - and it isn't May.

Wordsmith
The Government might, but TM has already said losing a budget vote will not be a resigning matter having organised more 'serious talks' in November.

They'll need her for that, do keep up.

You did!

which indicates you want to be on the other side, which you perceive to be the stronger/better/preferable and that side would be Russia!

I suppose it is a consistent position for leavers though
No I didn't, you've inferred that's my meaning

My bold your inference. However you cannot deny that Putin has shellacked EU FP with the dependence on Gas and other commodities. Why would the EU try to break ranks with the US and UN sanctions, we know why. vested interest and the obvious factor that Europe has to try to get on with Russia. This is the backlash from the EU for the "Cheese surrender monkey" Jibe. It is an unequal equation. Merkel is shit scared of another war and justifiably so, but there is a difference between justifiable defence and outright aggression.
Now if you want to remain in a situation where the EU policy has not been thought through, the means is not there to implement it with a financial crisis in the offing you feel free.

FFS, who is this cow on Jeremy Vine.

The BBC has been perpetuating lies this whole time.

Vine has all the penetrative interview technique of Basil Brush

FFS, who is this cow on Jeremy Vine.

The BBC has been perpetuating lies this whole time.

Vine has all the penetrative interview technique of Basil Brush
Busy not looking for a job?