Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I agree, (although if you look at it from an EU point of view Barnier is not doing a bad job), the only way to stop this is a people vote to stay. I just can't see it. I am sure the people voted last time so "peoples vote" is a load of crap, I would have thought people would be fed up of political spin by now.

The withdrawal bill has to be pushed through with or without a trade deal on the table. I have a feeling that trade will come at a later stage, both sides are gearing up for a trade war of attrition.
I agree with you, (we will have to stop this love-in!) to an extent. IMO Barnier is doing an excellent job for the Commission, I would argue that he is not doing a good job for the EU as a hard brexit will hit them just as much as the UK.

The process is definitely getting in to the big boys' league and very much a case of brinkmanship from both sides.

If any agreement keeps the UK under the ECJ and forbids the UK from making trade deals around the world then May is toast and it will not get through the Commons, leaving us with hard Brexit, which will suit the professional EUers in the Commission.
That is a simple yet obvious fact, who gains from us leaving the EU? All those member states who are pushing for a move up the EU table to the top three spot that's who.

Actually I don't have a problem with that. The job of Opposition is to oppose the government and keep them on track, it is not to sit back and agree with everything the government says.

Having said that this must be tempered with the needs of the Country. There is a very fine balance and it is up to the voter to decide where that line is.

Remember, job number one of any political party is to be elected into power. If already there then it is a case of staying, if in opposition then it is a case of bringing down the government if they can.

Party and politics First
Constituents and Country a very distant Second.
populism in other words.

That is a simple yet obvious fact, who gains from us leaving the EU? All those member states who are pushing for a move up the EU table to the top three spot that's who.
What are you smoking.
We may be a net provider of money but have never had any real influence on decision making.
Those who in your words pushing to move up the table all lose because less money will be available.
They will also lose in a trade war as we buy more than we sell to the EU.

I agree with you, (we will have to stop this love-in!) to an extent. IMO Barnier is doing an excellent job for the Commission, I would argue that he is not doing a good job for the EU as a hard brexit will hit them just as much as the UK.

The process is definitely getting in to the big boys' league and very much a case of brinkmanship from both sides.
We sometimes forget that these politicians are just humans who will fight tooth and nail to scramble to the top of the heap. It grinds my gears that some are willing to stay away and watch it all go to shit even though six months ago they were banging the drum.

The EU will protect the common market at all costs, I will agree although I firmly believe this has been the EU plan all along and what they as the second biggest economy in the world are gearing up for it.

The brinksmanship has mostly come from our side, seeing as we started this not them.

No because I don't scour the internet looking for treads or snippets, that is pyouurely my own humble opinion, based upon the current situation and how I see it.

What political expertise do I have? None to shout about, however when I see a lump of dog shit, I know its dog shit even though I am not a dog.

This is exactly what this Brexit fiasco is... Dog shit.
you're dog sh*t.

The EU will protect the common market at all costs, I will agree although I firmly believe this has been the EU plan all along and what they as the second biggest economy in the world are gearing up for it.
I know you boast that you do not do any research but China, USA and Japan are way ahead.
Germany, France and Italy figure in the top ten, and we are above the second two, but they are dangerously exposed because of the Euro.

but I was told that the commission weren't really that powerful. What with the council and the parliament and what not.

It may have gone past brinkmanship.

France has effectively said it'll torpedo May's proposals from one site of the fence, while the opposition, DUP and ERG will torpedo it from the other side.

May is committed to giving a meaningful vote to the commons on Brexit. As present, it's shaping up to be:

Do you agree to a hard Brexit, or do you wish to overturn the result of the democratically conducted referendum on Brexit?

Wordsmith

you really are dense.
Thanks for that Ken. I would rather be dense than a sleeping tablet. If you have nothing of any importance or relevance to say (pretty much every post in the last two weeks) then just keep quiet.

If you wish to have a meaningful debate on an interesting subject then give me a shout, if not just quietly sit in the corner and eat your crayons, mummy will be along soon to collect you.

France has effectively said it'll torpedo May's proposals from one site of the fence, while the opposition, DUP and ERG will torpedo it from the other side.

May is committed to giving a meaningful vote to the commons on Brexit. As present, it's shaping up to be:

Do you agree to a hard Brexit, or do you wish to overturn the result of the democratically conducted referendum on Brexit?

Wordsmith
Yes, the results of the referendum may be far more reaching than a simple out of the EU result.
We may actually get democracy with MP's actually answerable to their constituents.

Wordsmith
I said this months ago. The EU is ticking off the days. I have no idea how she can present anything but a no deal scenario to the commons?