Brexit Phase Two - Trade

May is an absolute liability, not just in electoral terms.
Indeed.

The EU have signaled they would accept Canada Plus and the DUP and ERG would support it in the Commons. Yet May persists with a basterdised version of Chequers thart May prevent UK PLC signing trade deals for years.

The 'man in the street' is not politically astute, but you don't need a great understanding of politics to realise that giving the EU the ability to block the UK signing trade deals is a spectacularly stupid idea.

I think a lot of this is attributable to May's habit of running away from problems. Instead of going for Canada Plus and confronting the resulting difficulties, she's going for the easy way out, despite that buggering up UK PLC's future and liable to consign the Tories to two decades in opposition.

She's now going to run into a political $hitstorm at home and wonder what that happened.

Wordsmith

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Quite a lot of the analysis of voter intention in the last GE wasn’t down to anything brexit related. As far as the public we’re concerned at the time Brexit was a done deal .

The swing appeared to be related to normal political swings of voter intentions.

What we have now is a rather important constitutional issue being used as a political football for short term party political gain.

Labours head shed doesn’t give a toss about brexit. They’re more interested in trying to bring down a PM for political gain.
Actually I don't have a problem with that. The job of Opposition is to oppose the government and keep them on track, it is not to sit back and agree with everything the government says.

Having said that this must be tempered with the needs of the Country. There is a very fine balance and it is up to the voter to decide where that line is.

Remember, job number one of any political party is to be elected into power. If already there then it is a case of staying, if in opposition then it is a case of bringing down the government if they can.

Party and politics First
Constituents and Country a very distant Second.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If any agreement keeps the UK under the ECJ and forbids the UK from making trade deals around the world then May is toast and it will not get through the Commons, leaving us with hard Brexit, which will suit the professional EUers in the Commission.

If May's proposals means we won't be able to sign trade deals for an indefinite time after leaving
That's a big IF. The accepting of "European" standards is one thing, since they are already standard with us and we with them and that won't change any time soon unless of course the EU decide to add another standard that we haven't got and they haven't thought of. The issue is the control of trade deals, but I don't rate that issue at all, since Europe can't decide under which auspices trade deals are done and the remainers haven't answered that question. We should be be more prepared to give the Gallic shrug rather than adhering to the letter of the Law.

Now the GFA recognises the sovereignty of the territory of the UK. The EU have already backtracked and said that the technology for remote border is already in service. That technically and I say technically-we could remain part of the customs union even if we rename it to say Customs Compliance Ordinance. That is in itself no great issue, but it will require the UK to recommit to a stand alone Customs service. The interservice ramifications between HMRC and the UKBF makes that essential. The Key here for me is the repudiation of the Lisbon agreement, not least because the EU is in no position to enforce it. The HO need to get rid of the idea that they ( the Police) must have responsibility and access to everything because it's the opposite of the FO.

Indeed.

The EU have signaled they would accept Canada Plus and the DUP and ERG would support it in the Commons. Yet May persists with a basterdised version of Chequers thart May prevent UK PLC signing trade deals for years.

The 'man in the street' is not politically astute, but you don't need a great understanding of politics to realise that giving the EU the ability to block the UK signing trade deals is a spectacularly stupid idea.

I think a lot of this is attributable to May's habit of running away from problems. Instead of going for Canada Plus and confronting the resulting difficulties, she's going for the easy way out, despite that buggering up UK PLC's future and liable to consign the Tories to two decades in opposition.

She's now going to run into a political $hitstorm at home and wonder what that happened.

Wordsmith
She's trying to preserve the UK economy fuckwit.

UK PLC doesn't want brexit. They've been streaming into parliament for 2 years pointing out the downfalls.

PMTM seems to be trying to limit the damage perpetrated by imbeciles like yourself.

Brexit seems to be dying, at least the full retard version idiots like yourself are pushing.

Bellend

She's trying to preserve the UK economy fuckwit.

UK PLC doesn't want brexit. They've been streaming into parliament for 2 years pointing out the downfalls.

PMTM seems to be trying to limit the damage perpetrated by imbeciles like yourself.

Brexit seems to be dying, at least the full retard version idiots like yourself are pushing.

Bellend
And yet there’s no desire for a second referendum and poll after poll shows that the majority of the public, even those who originally voted remain over and done with.

You seem to be standing in an echo chamber only listening to people who share you’re own opinion and assumin nationally everybody shares you’re myopic viewpoint.

It won't make much difference though. There are more than 7 ERG members happy to vote down Chequers 2.
Another of May's Achilles heels is her obstinacy. A more sensible person would have realised Chequers was neither acceptable to the EU, nor to the Commons. She could gradually have modified Chequers into Chequers ++ with a lot lifter from Canada Plus with a far better change of getting her agreement through the Commons. Instead the Titanic has remained on a steady course.

In any event, I suspect May's proposals probably won't get past the Cabinet. There is widespread awareness that May needs to be binned before the next GE. The leadership contenders in the cabinet - Hunts, Javid and Gove for example - won't want to inherit the leadership and then find out May has doomed them in the next election due to a naff agreement with the EU. They'll fight her tooth and nail.

And as it looks like the balance of the cabinet has shifted to a narrow Brexit majority, May is in for a humiliation.

Wordsmith

I think you are correct, up to a point. The ones that don't want a deal are the EU commission - the professional EUers; the MS are not 100% of the same mind IMO, and there is going to be friction there before long.

This is not about Brexit to the commission, this is purely ideology and they are prepared to sacrifice trade for this ideal. Our trouble is May not being able, or willing, to recognise that and dealing with the EU as a normal negotiating partner. Barnier should have been told to fornicate off when he started is endless "Non" responses and the EU told that they negotiate or it is off. A bit too late for that but the UK tone has changed since Salzburg where PMTM got a huge shock at the response to her plans. Since then the UK has been treating the negotiations as something started do must be finished but actually we are working towards hard brexit. This has finally brought the EU to actually negotiate, but again, I think they have missed the boat and the chance of genuine and meaningful discussions have gone. Nothing substantive will happen until Barnier is withdrawn as EU chief negotiator.
I agree, (although if you look at it from an EU point of view Barnier is not doing a bad job), the only way to stop this is a people vote to stay. I just can't see it. I am sure the people voted last time so "peoples vote" is a load of crap, I would have thought people would be fed up of political spin by now.

The withdrawal bill has to be pushed through with or without a trade deal on the table. I have a feeling that trade will come at a later stage, both sides are gearing up for a trade war of attrition.

Feelings, wowowo feelings.
Got any facts you want to post.
No because I don't scour the internet looking for treads or snippets, that is purely my own humble opinion, based upon the current situation and how I see it.

What political expertise do I have? None to shout about, however when I see a lump of dog shit, I know its dog shit even though I am not a dog.

This is exactly what this Brexit fiasco is... Dog shit.