Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Even those who campaigned decades for this embarrassment have no idea what they are doing, so what chance have the easily dog whistle led brexiteer voters got?

I’ve booked my Euro road trip for next June.
Will you ever set foot in EUtopia, or will you confine yourself to moaning about a paradise not lost as you don’t go there?

Even those who campaigned decades for this embarrassment have no idea what they are doing, so what chance have the easily dog whistle led brexiteer voters got?
We've already voted but if it helps your illness to keep referring to Brexit in the present tense, then fill your boots.
You make me laugh:Do_O

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I enjoy biting as much as you enjoy taking the occasional potshot I imagine.
Serious answer: if you had put a a link to a reputable source suggesting leave voters had not considered the issues and remain ones had, you'd have got an altogether different response. This thread is fully of hysterical predictions that the world will end in March of next year - most of which fall apart at the slightest examination.

Today's stroke of genius was a suggestion that a 30 minute delay in bringing lorries into the UK would cause 10% of businesses to go bankrupt - arrant nonsense.

I have a set of opinions on Brexit. I always try to post supporting links or a chain of reasoning - not put up unfounded assertions. I wish more posters would do the same.

My opinions could be wrong - at least I've explained why I hold that opinion.

Wordsmith

That's my generation are more intelligent than their generation. Your generation still scores lower than my generation, which is why until recently they thought people got slower with age and cognitive decline was a natural feature of ageing.

They don't, and its not, the problem was comparing old people with young people to study the effects, and not accounting for the Flynn effect in their model, or conducting a longitudinal analysis.

Although IQ tests are also cultural specific to an extent, so it could just that the tests need updating, as technology has drastically changed the way the world works.

I read a book on Quantum Physics a few year back, and there the author claimed the current generation of kids he taught at Harvard, were comfortable learning computer techniques, software, and analysis, at undergrad, that were previously taught at postgraduate level.

I would say they also put a lot more research into essays now, than they would have previously, just because of the power of Google Scholar, Scientific Direct, PubMed etc, means they can browse 100s of articles using their internet browser in the time it probably used to take, to just find a handful of articles.

Last edited:
Actually, it was a bit more murkier than that.

The european dream has been driven by France and Germany. (Quite a fascinating topic. The european iron and steel community was pushed as France lost its supply of coal when it gave up the Saar reagion so it found itself with a load of iron ore for steel production but was cut off from its coal supply in Germany)

As I say. France and Germany have both strived for a United Europe, which was one of the reasons why the Vichy French were so supportive in the last round of unpleasantness. The Germans however being german and slightly more switched on realised that political unity had to come before financial union, but the French wanted to push ahead with glfinancial union before political union. One of the obligations that Germany United post Cold War by the French was that Germany was forced into accepting financial union coming first.
Well, you say that.But remember that France was the occupying power and Germany the occupied. Adenhour had his hands tied behind his back. Given perspectives back then Germany would be quite pliant, bearing in mind Bonn was in the French sector, not the British or American, and was itself more pro French, than say Hanover. Moreover you may recall somewhat later that the rates for the FF and the DM against the pound was 10, which meant more or less parity.

Germany had one fundamental weakness in that much of it’s coal is lignite which is less thermally efficient.

Essentially the relationship between Vichy and Germany had been an element of Pragmatism, in that A didn’t really want to occupy France- he hadn’t the resources, but found himself with no option. Your point about Union is that WGermany always wanted to reunite, but it couldn’t until the allies agreed in 90’ because until Germany accepted the ON line the war couldn’t end. W Germany couldn’t agree that, because it had no territorial connection with it and for the Likes of Hoenecker it didn’t matter. So there’s a very distorted view of Germany’s capabilities. Economic yes, political no.

Do keep up, it's you who ignored data that didn't suit - I was just bringing it to your attention.
Mass exodus of EU academics because of Brexit results in increase of EU academics in British universities.

Flick through some of the times educational supplements. There’s been somewhat of a boom in R&D I’m the U.K. with more posts and more money...,.
Well, you say that.But remember that France was the occupying power and Germany the occupied. Adenhour had his hands tied behind his back. Given perspectives back then Germany would be quite pliant, bearing in mind Bonn was in the French sector, not the British or American, and was itself more pro French, than say Hanover. Moreover you may recall somewhat later that the rates for the FF and the DM against the pound was 10, which meant more or less parity.

Germany had one fundamental weakness in that much of it’s coal is lignite which is less thermally efficient.

Essentially the relationship between Vichy and Germany had been an element of Pragmatism, in that A didn’t really want to occupy France- he hadn’t the resources, but found himself with no option. Your point about Union is that WGermany always wanted to reunite, but it couldn’t until the allies agreed in 90’ because until Germany accepted the ON line the war couldn’t end. W Germany couldn’t agree that, because it had no territorial connection with it and for the Likes of Hoenecker it didn’t matter. So there’s a very distorted view of Germany’s capabilities. Economic yes, political no.
agreed that France was the occupying power but although France offered a referendum in the 50s, Saarland was never going to be annexed by France indefinitely

Mass exodus of EU academics because of Brexit results in increase of EU academics in British universities.

Flick through some of the times educational supplements. There’s been somewhat of a boom in R&D I’m the U.K. with more posts and more money...,.

agreed that France was the occupying power but although France offered a referendum in the 50s, Saarland was never going to be annexed by France indefinitely
Goes back to an old old story.
Basically, two old codgers get arrested in a cafe there one day
Security police state they hear them plotting
Up before the beak who is German
Did you hear them plotting?
Yes sir
Did you hear who the plot was against?
No sir
Then why are you wasting the courts to time?
Because sir all plotters against the state are to be arrested.
No them, you fools, they never know who the hell they belong to.

Serious answer: if you had put a a link to a reputable source suggesting leave voters had not considered the issues and remain ones had, you'd have got an altogether different response. This thread is fully of hysterical predictions that the world will end in March of next year - most of which fall apart at the slightest examination.

Today's stroke of genius was a suggestion that a 30 minute delay in bringing lorries into the UK would cause 10% of businesses to go bankrupt - arrant nonsense.

I have a set of opinions on Brexit. I always try to post supporting links or a chain of reasoning - not put up unfounded assertions. I wish more posters would do the same.

My opinions could be wrong - at least I've explained why I hold that opinion.

Wordsmith

That's the confusion - I never said they didn't consider the issue, that they just didn't factor (or weigh that issue) as being particularly important as the other factors that led to their decision.

I'm not calling them ignorant, I'm saying they had different priorities.

If the EU are willing to pursue a political aim at any cost, then it must follow that the economics are a secondary consideration.

That the UK is also prioritising political aims at the expense of the economy doesn't make things any more palatable, but it does make it easier to understand.
I don't think that the UK is prioritising political aims

Lack of any coherent way forward from pro brexit groups not a clue?
He quoted before I made my original point clearer through editing:

"The experts said this would happen all along, and I said I've already seen it happen several times. But, just have to accept this didn't weigh very high into peoples decision making process when voting to leave.".

meaning, as a deciding factor, it wasn't particularly strong/important.