• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

you are quite dense, aren't you. It bothers most people. Probably all leavers and alot of remaINers. Do you remember folk claiming that the USE could be stopped by us staying in and vetoing it. I trust that you have no issue with the concept.
It was being stopped by us.

Again, another one who's been mindwiped by the Diana.

I blame education in this country

That cannot be true as Grac said that taxes were going to rise - he might even have a had a tweet about it ;-)
I couldn't possibly comment on other arrsers tweets other than Brexit is & continues to be 'Fluid'

Still legally leaving in March 19 ;-)

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
When I was in Italy in a June, I was struck by the very obvious lack of EU flags on display compared to previous years.... it’s almost as if Italy has fallen out of love with the EU dream.
There is a consensus in Italy that a lot of Italy's woes are associated with euro membership. Over the years they have failed to control inflation as robustly as (say) Germany. Neither have they made the productivity improvements that other EU countries have. As a result, their economy has stagnated over the past decade.

Had they have a floating exchange rate, the Lira would have weakened to compensate for the above, making exports more competitive and reducing imports. As they're locked into the euro straitjacket, that can't happen.

Add into the mix that Italy is the destination of choice for economic migrants crossing the Mediterranean in boats, and you can see why the EU is not the flavour of the month in Italy.

There are elements within the Italian government that would like to see Italy carry out its own equivalent of Brexit - a prospect causing some alarm in Brussels.

Wordsmith

There is a consensus in Italy that a lot of Italy's woes are associated with euro membership. Over the years they have failed to control inflation as robustly as (say) Germany. Neither have they made the productivity improvements that other EU countries have. As a result, their economy has stagnated over the past decade.

Had they have a floating exchange rate, the Lira would have weakened to compensate for the above, making exports more competitive and reducing imports. As they're locked into the euro straitjacket, that can't happen.

Add into the mix that Italy is the destination of choice for economic migrants crossing the Mediterranean in boats, and you can see why the EU is not the flavour of the month in Italy.

There are elements within the Italian government that would like to see Italy carry out its own equivalent of Brexit - a prospect causing some alarm in Brussels.

Wordsmith

It’s very instructive to see the rehabilitation of Mussolini,

Reuters reports that 630 finance jobs have departed the city, with a further 5000 in the event of a hard brexit..
Exclusive: With six months to go before Brexit, 630 finance jobs have left - Reuters survey | Reuters

Many bankers and politicians predicted after the June 2016 referendum that leaving the EU would prompt a mass exodus of jobs and business and deal a crippling blow to London’s position in global finance.

But as Brexit Day nears, the number of jobs that UK-based financial institutions say they expect to move in the event of a “hard” Brexit was around 5,800, just 500 more than the last survey in March, and with more firms responding. That compares to around 10,000 in the first survey in September 2017.

The survey findings suggest London, which has been a critical artery for the flow of money around the world for centuries, is likely to remain the world’s largest center of international finance. While New York is by some measures bigger, it is more centered on American markets, while London focuses on international trade.

Iain Anderson, the executive chairman of Cicero, a public affairs company, which represents many finance companies, agreed with the survey findings that the impact of Brexit is likely to be much more modest than initially predicted.
Who do you think will be leaving next?
Not so many jobs though, heh?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh dear...

EU holds emergency meeting amid fears Labour would vote down Brexit deal
EU ambassadors have held an emergency meeting with the European Commission in Brussels amid concerns that Labour will vote down any Brexit deal. During this week’s party conference, Labour has repeatedly insisted it will veto any deal that does not meet its “six tests”.

Theresa May’s insistence on Tuesday that the only choice remains her discredited Chequers plan or a no deal Brexit have further stoked EU fears that the negotiations will fail and result in economic damage on both sides.
The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

Wordsmith

It was being stopped by us.

Again, another one who's been mindwiped by the Diana.

I blame education in this country
Furthermore, brain dead Brexiteers are sadly in the ascendant currently but they are in for a huge wake up call in the next few years.

Your name is Jeremy and i claim my five pounds
I'm guessing of course, but it's always worth putting yourself into the mind of the opposing side.

Perhaps if team brexshit had done so, they'd have realised that we didn't hold all the cards, the EU didn't need us more than we need them and Johnny foreigner wasn't just going to roll over for British hectoring and entitlement