• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

A characteristic of that conversation - and indeed one I frequently see on this thread is that people don't want to think the problems through for themselves. They have a single, fixed opinion, grad at any piece of confirmation that conforms it and completely ignore anything that contradicts it. Few people try and reconcile the contradicting information and come up with alternative or original thinking.

If I post one of my longer posts involving a chain of reasoning that goes a bit left field, I can pretty well guarantee - because to respond to the post would require someone to first think the problem through for themselves - it will get minimal or no responses.

If I post on a well worn topic, responses are guaranteed.

It a pity more people aren't prepared to invest the time in thinking problems through and putting up their chains of reasoning (and portioning evidence) up on here. However, it appears that people are only comfortable going down well worn paths where they can post well worn opinions.

Wordsmith
You constantly vomit forth a chain of unlikely occurrences to justify cutting the UK economy off at its knees

You repeatedly ask questions that are answered, then you ignore this and stick those who've posted said answers on ignore.

You a £ shop Barney Lane and have the same intellectual depth of Mogg and his ERG chums.

The only thing in your favour I can see is that you appear not exhibit the foaming at the mouth xenophobia of some of our other contributors.

You post drivel, albeit well mannered drivel, mostly...

On what basis? Juncker is on record demanding another billion or so in VAT based on the gray economy. That’s the cash only bit that is never recorded. TBF either the economies of other countries are somewhat limited, but how would you know that. Tobacco, alcohol are all mafia sized businesses and how carefully do you examine the packaging? People have to take a hell of a lot on trust
Provide proof!

You constantly vomit forth a chain of unlikely occurrences to justify cutting the UK economy off at its knees

You repeatedly ask questions that are answered, then you ignore this and stick those who've posted said answers on ignore.

You a £ shop Barney Lane and have the same intellectual depth of Mogg and his ERG chums.

The only thing in your favour I can see is that you appear not exhibit the foaming at the mouth xenophobia of some of our other contributors.

You post drivel, albeit well mannered drivel, mostly...

Soon be all over for you @Baglock

Technically no- the bastards who want to swing it their way do.
Every argument i hear for a second referendum doesn't make sense.

they're talking about hear voices that aren't being heard, conveniently forgetting about voices that were cheerfully ignored until the holders have the status quo a little shake.

then they usually turn a tangent and go on about isolation and trading with the world...

Oh how I chuckled. GMB this morning his Farage and Dodgy dossier Alistair Campell and his daughter (24) cunningly disguised as a writer etc. Well the suffragettes would have loved her. "We didn't understand the issue so we shouldn't have had the vote, but yes we should have second referendum." A.C esq, promoting his Dairies, so well see if he slates Blair. Farage-Campbell turns Campbell harangue, some obfuscation about clarity. Daddy of course doesn't agree with a second referendum.

So la Campbell would be a brilliant politician, only votes on what she understands.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Oh how I chuckled. GMB this morning his Farage and Dodgy dossier Alistair Campell and his daughter (24) cunningly disguised as a writer etc. Well the suffragettes would have loved her. "We didn't understand the issue so we shouldn't have had the vote, but yes we should have second referendum." A.C esq, promoting his Dairies, so well see if he slates Blair. Farage-Campbell turns Campbell harangue, some obfuscation about clarity. Daddy of course doesn't agree with a second referendum.

So la Campbell would be a brilliant politician, only votes on what she understands.
She wouldn't vote very often then.

Every argument i hear for a second referendum doesn't make sense.

they're talking about hear voices that aren't being heard, conveniently forgetting about voices that were cheerfully ignored until the holders have the status quo a little shake.

then they usually turn a tangent and go on about isolation and trading with the world...

Trouble is the counter argument (JRM) is too eloquently put, I have yet to hear a politician other than Farage put it in terms that the man in the street understands

I voted out - if there was a 2nd referendum I would vote stay, I don`t think that there is a politician or party with ability to be able to organise the complex issue of leaving.

The bottom line is there is no acceptable exit, the exit will be one that the EU wishes to inflict on the UK, the UK will have no say in the matter, so should have just left after the referendum and got on with it.

The whole cause is now a lost one, and there will be a GE sooner or later

Totally feed up with Brexit all the time, when there are other strategic and structurally issue in the UK that politicians need to attempt to sort out

Archie

....The bottom line is there is no acceptable exit, the exit will be one that the EU wishes to inflict on the UK, the UK will have no say in the matter, so should have just left after the referendum and got on with it.
The exit will be one that the UK inflicts on itself. All the UK's current woes are self-inflicted. Blaming the EU is just pathetic.

What are the opinions of ARRSERs on the chances of TM heading to the Palace this afternoon?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
JRM isn't really talking to the public, he's talking over their shoulder to the Cabinet and giving a precise, exact and correct explanation of why Chequers can't work, and what will.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
What are the opinions of ARRSERs on the chances of TM heading to the Palace this afternoon?
Negligible.

Because of the Fixed Term Parliaments act She can't call a GE unless she loses a vote of confidence in the H of C or 2/3 of the house vote for a dissolution.

A vote of confidence is unlikely - the opposition parties know they'd lose it.

If she tries for a 2/3 vote of the house, I suspect the majority Tory MP's would abstain to prevent her getting the required 2/3 of MP's. They don't want a repeat of her 2017 GE 'triumph' - that would lead to a Corbyn government.

And if she tried this and was blocked by a mass abstention of Tory MP's, she'd have to resign as PM.

Wordsmith

Alistair Campbell keeps cows? Who knew!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile, the peasants are revolting.

Cabinet backs Canada-style Brexit deal as Hunt urges PM to drop Chequers
A majority of the Cabinet now supports moving towards a Canada-style trade deal with the EU following the outright rejection of Theresa May’s Chequers plan, the Prime Minister will be told today. Mrs May will be urged to rethink her approach to the Brexit negotiations by favouring a free trade agreement that would represent the “clean Brexit” that Leave supporters voted for.

Jeremy Hunt, the Foreign Secretary, has emerged as a key figure in the Brexiteers’ fight to convince Mrs May to change tack. A former Remain campaigner, Mr Hunt is now squarely in the Leave camp and has publicly indicated that he is open to the idea of a Canada-style deal.
It looks very much like May is going to be forced into Canada Plus by her own cabinet, further weakening her authority. In addition, with Barnier on record as saying he favours Canada Plus, the EU will find it difficult to reject a Canada Plus proposal from the UK.

May has dug herself into a very deep hole - and it's a hole entirely of her own making. A woman with better political instincts would have changed direction months ago.

Wordsmith