• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

It's not a secret though, it's part of being a member state of the largest economy in a global market! The stuff imported has to comply with EU standards (they wouldn't sell within the EU if not anyway) the rip-offs are sold within China or in areas without the protections provided to us by the EU!
It's reassuring to know that rip - offs aren't sold in areas with the protections provided to us by the EU.

I remember few years ago reading about a fake Apple store somewhere in China (possibly Shanghai) that was so convincing the people who worked in it didn't realise they weren't working for Apple until the Chinese equivalent of HMRC or Trading Standards or whoever closed them down.
Only because Apple started muttering about alternate production centres I believe.

Brexit fan boys,

Thank you for the excellent and well crafted responses of “You’re a Knob”. It’s actually really useful for my argument when brexiteers show themselves to be extremely uninformed, unintelligent & over emotional.

So let’s keep this simple. These negotiations are clearly showing that the old British “world power” style tactics of bluster and self importance (see any post by Big yin) foolish in the modern international arena where technocrats negotiate on clear well thought out issues not on sound bites that are designed to rile up those with St George’s cross tattooed on their chest.

The idea of some version of soul independence in the modern world is a pipe dream. This is not the 1930s & since the delicate network of ties and treaties which world trade has created, the idea of individual sovereign authority is in practice deaf everywhere but North Korea.

Now no country on its own, other than the great powers, can seriously hope to resist the big multinationals. Only a union of states speaking with one voice and falling back on strong regulatory protections can do this.

But hey, I’m sure you all considered this...
somebody got comfy very quickly. Eh @Baglock.

I recall reading somewhere in the last couple of years that pretty much anything produced for commercial sale worldwide can be found by agents specifically employed to do so, copied, manufactured in a Chinese factory and for sale in a period of 6 weeks.

Yes.

My classic car club fancied a group buy of those big snap on rolling tool cabinets. Fabulous kit but fabulously expensive. They got a quote from a Chinese agent for knock offs in stainless steel delivered FOB to the UK at less than machine mart prices in a matter of weeks. Just specify the model you want copied, they do the rest.

It's not a secret though, it's part of being a member state of the largest economy in a global market! The stuff imported has to comply with EU standards (they wouldn't sell within the EU if not anyway) the rip-offs are sold within China or in areas without the protections provided to us by the EU!

Cobblers! No ones checking compliance if 99% of outside EU imports. Sticking a CE label on it at the factory in Sheyang is the only compliance check.

Looks like they've done their sums - be interesting to watch the polling over the next week or so. I still doubt that I could vote for a Labour party with Corbyn in charge but I'm no some youngster with no memory of what a twat he is.
Maybe; but Twitter tells me they've got 25 marginal seats, 19 of them are Brexit supporting ones.

I still can't see a 2nd referendum, purely because it'll be massively devisive and will undermine the trust in our democratic process.

But after Project Fear Mk 1, I didn't think Leave would win; so I'll just wait out and see what happens.

These recent posts on China show how the world has changed and the EU are swimming against the tide.

It also shows how ridiculous and futile the Corbyn view is, that all the UK has to do is invest in manufacturing, and the country will once more be full of factories manufacturing things.

Which arrser is this spreading good will in Dublin? ;-)
Not guilty my lord. I'd have chucked something a little better than a bloody Pigeons head at them.

These recent posts on China show how the world has changed and the EU are swimming against the tide.

It also shows how ridiculous and futile the Corbyn view is, that all the UK has to do is invest in manufacturing, and the country will once more be full of factories manufacturing things.

Corbyn is last centuries model.

China is now outsourcing its low end mass marketing to Africa.
Lots of space, lots if resources, lots on people eager for work.

Whether it’s secret or not is irrelevant , it is effectively fraud. It is supposed to comply with European standards but we know for a fact that a high volume of goods do not. No the rip offs are sold here too and fall under the counterfeit heading quite regularly. The protections are frequently enforced to late, and with no dedicated customs service we have been left more vulnerable.

I recall reading somewhere in the last couple of years that pretty much anything produced for commercial sale worldwide can be found by agents specifically employed to do so, copied, manufactured in a Chinese factory and for sale in a period of 6 weeks.
Hence the reason why companies are pulling back from China.

Infact I used to work with an American who’s ex father in law was an ex three letter agency employee who was making a roaring trade extracting western business from China.

That however is the down side of joint ventures which is what the Chinese ensure is promoted in China. It should be noted that it’s not all negative with joint ventures.

The issue of counterfeiting isn’t just Chinese based. We see it in Europe and the U.K. it is a criminal activity.