• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Oh Dear,has our teddy fallen out of the pram ?

Retarded, I'm not the one who seems to think the EU has principles or, actually holds the upper hand.

I stated on here just after the Brexit result that I had been informed by my brother,who has worked in the German motor Industry since 2000,all German Car manufacturers had made plans to put lines in mothballs, go onto short working and shifts. Because they know if, we just walk, and the EU play hardball with tarrifs, 20 percent of their production goes down the tubes.

Maybe we should all learn Japanese,it would appear that the EU can bend over backwards to accomodate Japan with a free trade deal and access to the Single Market,but not us?

If that doesn't strike you as lacking in principles, vindictive and, childish, I would suggest that the retard is you!
The UK is on a downward trend since two generations at least, no industry to speak of, poor productivity, diminishing location attractiveness, weaker levels of secondary education, over-reliance on service sector. We don’t make any products that anyone wants to buy.

The EU is built on a solid and very successful foundation based on trade and mutual support, strength through unity and the actions of Trump should highlight the risk of going it alone.

The need for a single market and customs union will never go away.

Ignorant Brexiters have decided they hate foreigners more than they need a strong economy. There should be an IQ test before you let right wing van drivers vote.

The UK is on a downward trend since two generations at least, no industry to speak of, poor productivity, diminishing location attractiveness, weaker levels of secondary education, over-reliance on service sector. We don’t make any products that anyone wants to buy.

The EU is built on a solid and very successful foundation based on trade and mutual support, strength through unity and the actions of Trump should highlight the risk of going it alone.

The need for a single market and customs union will never go away.

Ignorant Brexiters have decided they hate foreigners more than they need a strong economy. There should be an IQ test before you let right wing van drivers vote.
Baglock's back...

Standard for the eu.

they're still hoping we will cave in and stay.
Tusk and Barnier in particular; the former by his crass behaviour has completely undermined the latter's more diplomatic approach. Theresa May is nothing if not vindictive. She will not forgive Tusk et al and will now look for opportunities to get her revenge. May is more than capable of holding a grudge.

Sadly, that doesn't surprise me. Even Gina Miller, on R4 this morning, called his behaviour childish.
You expect much better from a person like Tusk, in his position.

Unfortunately, Arrogance, mockery and insulting a fellow leader appear's the trend from selective member's from Brussels.

I fully concur with Ms Miller, however May's rebuff speech in reflection will also be ignored by the EU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the things I would hope the UK would do is revise import tariffs after we leave the EU.

If there are no native manufacturers, we can drop tariffs to zero from the outset. If we don't make it, there are no UK based firms that will be hurt by it. It will reduce prices in the shops. And it'll reduce imports from the EU - they be driven out by lower cost imports from the rest of the world.

For tariffs where there are UK manufacturers, there should be an agreed program to reduce the tariffs to close to zero over a 10 - 15 year period. That time span should allow British manufacturers to introduce automation, improve productivity and so on so they are fully competitive with the rest of the world.

The EU's single market is a protectionist one. It allows inefficient manufacturers to stay in business without adapting to change. And the only way you keep those manufacturers in business is by gradually increasing the barriers keeping the rest of the world out. A lot of European manufacturing is destined to wither and die over the next few decades for that reason. There is no longer any need for British manufacturing to go down that route. The government can slowly remove the trade barriers while giving tax breaks to companies who invest in automation, AI and other measures to reduce costs and improve productivity.

Wordsmith

(Typos corrected)
Once again, how is the US not protectionist? How is China not protectionist?

you're no Nostradamus. I'll give you that.
Time will tell old chap. Manufacturing won’t budge while this crock of shite is going o
The EU has to make an example of the UK. They cannot allow other member states to see the UK successfully leave, because that would fuel the fires of discontent with the EU. The EU leaders, despite the position of the EU's negotiators, will never agree a deal that allows the UK to enjoy any EU membership privileges without freedom of movement;- that would open an "EU Pandora's box". Many of the current EU leaders would fall, and they know it.

Conversely, I will bet my last pound those voting "leave" in the referendum had securing the sovereignty/UK borders at the front of their minds. PMMay is correct, any deal allowing freedom of movement is not the Brexit anyone voted for.

Quite shamefully, every politician or "talking head" that calls for a "people's vote" reinforces the EU's tactic of forcing a hard brexit and has undermined the position of the UK negotiators.

I guess this heads to a Parlimentary vote. If the majority of MPs place sovereignty/control of borders above all else, then a hard Brexit will occur. If they don't, then I guess we head to a people's vote and the "neverendum" occurs.....

Would the "remainers" accept a second "leave" vote? Would the "leavers" accept a "remain" vote?
Have a virtual like.

Watching Newsnight, their political editor, Nick Watt says the EU - all along - have offered a bespoke variation of two deals:

1. A Norway option
2. A Canada style FTA

Failing either of them; a no deal.

I know Wordsmith has said this too, but what I can't understand is why TM didn't just go for the Canada style deal?

What's the (or her) problem with that?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Watching Newsnight, their political editor, Nick Watt says the EU - all along - have offered a bespoke variation of two deals:

1. A Norway option
2. A Canada style FTA

Failing either of them; a no deal.

I know Wordsmith has said this too, but what I can't understand is why TM didn't just go for the Canada style deal?

What's the (or her) problem with that?
I don't think the EU have offered a deal but have indicated a willingness to talk about one

before rejecting out of hand! :rolleyes: