• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

There was a lot of grief at that time with Turkish Cypriots being driven out by the Greek Cyps, but it was exacerbated by the Greek Cyps from the north being rejected by those in the south. Not a very pleasant time!
Yes.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My view, too. Though the timing of the EU ambush was exquisite, if you like that sort of stuff.
Nowt like a good old conspiracy theory. Still if you want to howl at the moon then crack on. :rolleyes:

“We need to compromise on both sides,” Tusk said. “This is the very essence of negotiations.”

“It must be clear that there are some issues where we are not ready to compromise, first of all this is our four fundamental freedoms and single market, this is way we remain sceptical and critical when it comes to this part of the Chequers proposal.
I'd read it a while back. I just wanted to ensure you had.

so if we boil down the above.

tus k wants everyone to compromise except the eu.

time to go. This is going nowhere.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Are you content with the current state of play?
Mrs May today made it very clear we are leaving the EU and that is not up for change! Ergo I'm a happy bunny.

I am also happy that PMTM has finally caught the whiff of coffee and woken up to the fact that the EU are just cnuts! The whole tone of her statement was music to my ears!

Mrs May today made it very clear we are leaving the EU and that is not up for change! Ergo I'm a happy bunny.

I am also happy that PMTM has finally caught the whiff of coffee and woken up to the fact that the EU are just cnuts! The whole tone of her statement was music to my ears!

No, I find it most embarrassing. PMTM is playing a losing hand very well and more power to her elbow.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Just bought a couple of shirts direct from the US. I could have bought them from their EU based distributor, but, even with duty and postage, they cost half the EU retail price. It’s almost as if tge EU imposed excessively high tariffs on foreign clothing to protect EU suppliers.
One of the things I would hope the UK would do is revise import tariffs after we leave the EU.

If there are no native manufacturers, we can drop tariffs to zero from the outset. If we don't make it, there are no UK based firms that will be hurt by it. It will reduce prices in the shops. And it'll reduce imports from the EU - they be driven out by lower cost imports from the rest of the world.

For tariffs where there are UK manufacturers, there should be an agreed program to reduce the tariffs to close to zero over a 10 - 15 year period. That time span should allow British manufacturers to introduce automation, improve productivity and so on so they are fully competitive with the rest of the world.

The EU's single market is a protectionist one. It allows inefficient manufacturers to stay in business without adapting to change. And the only way you keep those manufacturers in business is by gradually increasing the barriers keeping the rest of the world out. A lot of European manufacturing is destined to wither and die over the next few decades for that reason. There is no longer any need for British manufacturing to go down that route. The government can slowly remove the trade barriers while giving tax breaks to companies who invest in automation, AI and other measures to reduce costs and improve productivity.

Wordsmith

(Typos corrected)

Last edited: