• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Brown stains spreading in the German underpants.

German industry starts to fret over no-deal Brexit as global threats mount
Germany’s manufacturing industries are increasingly worried about a Brexit upset at a time of mounting global trade conflict and a multi-headed crisis in emerging markets. “The world trade system is ever more of joint,” said Eric Schweitzer, president of the country’s powerful export lobby DIHK. Germany faces a blizzard of strategic headaches as its companies get caught in the cross-fire of US sanctions against China, Russia, and Iran, and fresh barriers arising even within the EU itself.
A hard Brexit hits Germany as well - Merkel is going to come under strong pressure to engineer a compromise deal.

Wordsmith

No issue with that. But it wasn’t specified in what you voted for. So again, how can I be blamed if you get a different Brexit from the one you want?
Not specified? In or out. One is either in or out. What Brexit turns into is not the issue. But of course with a country full of snake oil salesmen what would we expect?

To quote the words of Macron yesterday “ British politicians who promised that Brexit will make Britain richer were liers” doesn’t sound like a man who is interested in striking a deal.
Sounds like a negotiating stance/pose, as is most of the other huff and puff and soundbites going around. Its unfortunate that when Tusk stated that Mays deal was unacceptable and that the UK had a month to come up with a new one May didn't tell her team to pack up and go home. Its currently all about who blinks first.

Nail on head. That is currently my understanding, especially after the latest EU meeting.
This is why I voted out. The EU are not a democratic organisation. It's their way, or the highway. The UK used a democratic process to ask the people. The UK has tried to negotiate and still incorporate EU ways into the deals. The EU have shown themselves to be sneaky snakes!
I'm all for a hard Brexit now. No calling the EU bluff, just do it. And more trade negotiations with China and emerging economies that works in both trade partners favours.
I am beginning to swing to that view

I
Not specified? In or out. One is either in or out. What Brexit turns into is not the issue. But of course with a country full of snake oil salesmen what would we expect?
I agree re in or out. But some Brexiteers on here seem to think an agreement (such as Chequers) in not properly out. But it is.

No issue with that. But it wasn’t specified in what you voted for. So again, how can I be blamed if you get a different Brexit from the one you want?
The vote was to be in or out of the EU. So we are either in or we're out and if we're out then the UK got what it voted for.
All this talk about hard/soft/no deal blah blah blah is puff. There will be a deal which has compromises on both sides but we'll be out.

Agreed, Germany will protect the single market no matter what the cost. Not only had there been shocking lack of leadership, those who stood on the side shouting have now walked away.

Seems our only true ally in this is Poland. A hard Brexit would be devastating for them. It would probably affect the one million poles in the UK.

If Poland side with the EU we will know it’s going to be a ruff ride.
The politicians on both sides of the Channel will pay the price for their hubris.

Much is made of the strategy of investing in the poorer European MS in order to develop them into 'trading partners' aka 'customers to buy shit', which although financially painful in the short term, should pay off in the long run.

That strategy of building and maintaining a 'consumer base' now appears secondary to the political aims of the EU, which you say will be maintained 'regardless of the cost'.

If the UK economy tanks as predicted after BREXIT, then there will be a backlash. Companies going under with the loss of many jobs will put HMG in a bit of a spot, to put it mildly.

With the loss of UK as a large 'trading partner' or consumer, the exports of many of our continental cousins will suffer, leading to companies going under with the loss of many jobs, which will put their governments in a bit of a spot too.

I'm not convinced that Jurgen or Jacques will appreciate that the politics 'at any cost' is a price worth paying.

Cutting noses to spite faces is quite en vogue at the moment.

If this isn’t a public humiliation for Theresa May I’d like to know what is.

The working assumption of anyone who wasn’t retarded enough to vote leave was that Chequers would be quietly taken as a work in progress and knocked into some sort of acceptable shape for a deal. Not happening.

It was easy to forget that Salzburg wasn’t a negotiating session but a platform for grandstanding.

The EU is an organisation that attaches importance to its principles which members have to adhere to and which Brexiteers don’t like.

Fair enough then leave but to expect the organisation to change those principles on the single market for goods and services , to suit a leaving member is ridiculous.

Britain requested to stay for another two years, that was generous enough to be allowed to but if you don't like the club pay your subscription fees and leave.

I'm not sure how long EU patience can indulge a Tory party infighting an unable to work out where the exit door is!

It’s a mess and indicative of what happens when idiots vote for something they struggle to understand.

Ah the fees ( that we will be paying)
It’s looking a lot less than 40 billion by the day now.
As I’ve said for the last year a hard brexit it will be ( no fears for me’ you can’t negotiate when the other side won’t or Cannot , only capitulate)
And secondly coming the c* nt whilst trying to play hard worked with Greece but plays very badly with the man or woman on the proverbial Clapham omnibus.
Time to go .

The working assumption of anyone who wasn’t retarded enough to vote leave was that Chequers would be quietly taken as a work in progress and knocked into some sort of acceptable shape for a deal. Not happening.

It was easy to forget that Salzburg wasn’t a negotiating session but a platform for grandstanding.

The EU is an organisation that attaches importance to its principles which members have to adhere to and which Brexiteers don’t like.

Fair enough then leave but to expect the organisation to change those principles on the single market for goods and services , to suit a leaving member is ridiculous.

Britain requested to stay for another two years, that was generous enough to be allowed to but if you don't like the club pay your subscription fees and leave.

I'm not sure how long EU patience can indulge a Tory party infighting an unable to work out where the exit door is!

It’s a mess and indicative of what happens when idiots vote for something they struggle to understand.
Theresa should be accustomed to public humiliation by now.

From stage props calamity to cringeworthy photo op 'dance' disaster, she's a joke.

It's a mess indicative of idiots offering a vote on something even they don't understand.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
May to make statement on Brexit outside Downing Street at 13.45.

I would have expected a statement on Monday after she'd had the weekend to think it over. Looks like a bit of panic is setting in.

The other possibility is she's about to resign after getting kicked in the teeth by the EU - but I can't see her doing that.

Wordsmith

Oh Dear,has our teddy fallen out of the pram ?

Retarded, I'm not the one who seems to think the EU has principles or, actually holds the upper hand.

I stated on here just after the Brexit result that I had been informed by my brother,who has worked in the German motor Industry since 2000,all German Car manufacturers had made plans to put lines in mothballs, go onto short working and shifts. Because they know if, we just walk, and the EU play hardball with tarrifs, 20 percent of their production goes down the tubes.

Maybe we should all learn Japanese,it would appear that the EU can bend over backwards to accomodate Japan with a free trade deal and access to the Single Market,but not us?

If that doesn't strike you as lacking in principles, vindictive and, childish, I would suggest that the retard is you!

The vote was to be in or out of the EU. So we are either in or we're out and if we're out then the UK got what it voted for.
All this talk about hard/soft/no deal blah blah blah is puff. There will be a deal which has compromises on both sides but we'll be out.
Perfectly true. But some here talk about things like BRINO. But that's still Brexit.

Except of course when it is politically convenient to ignore those principles (eligibility/financial rules for the Euro, Dublin Accord anyone?) in which case anything goes.

Something of a misconception. Were this simply a club with subscription fees for all, then maybe, but that is somewhat removed from reality. The actualite is more akin to a large party of people in a pub, where three or four people always stand the round for everyone else. What you suggest is that should one of the four choose to go home, they would be obliged to leave a wad behind the bar to allow the rest to keep on having a good time.

To be accurate, this is less Tory infighting than cross-party Leave/Remain fighting. It's just that the Tories are in the position of having to deliver.

May to make statement on Brexit outside Downing Street at 13.45.

I would have expected a statement on Monday after she'd had the weekend to think it over. Looks like a bit of panic is setting in.

The other possibility is she's about to resign after getting kicked in the teeth by the EU - but I can't see her doing that.

Wordsmith
Let's hope she is not about to announce another GE, to give her a mandate for No Deal.

The EU has never had any intention of allowing a soft Brexit, it isn't in their best interests.