Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Breaking: Irish source says Theresa May indicated during this morning's bilateral meeting with Leo Varadkar that she does not believe it is possible that a deal on the Irish backstop can be reached in time for the October European Council. [thread]
You know skid, in any normal circumstance both countries would have a normal Customs arrangement with no fear of one side constantly trying to shoot the other. Stuff it.

The non-worried EU want us to hold a second referendum so we don't leave the EU. Diddums...

Brexit: EU leaders 'almost unanimous' in support for second UK referendum - latest news

We'll be over the worst of our problems a few months after Brexit. The EU has huge problems on the horizon, which explains the anxiety about us leaving. Among other things we would have been a cash cow in the event of a eurozone failure in the next recession. In addition, if we prosper outside the EU, we might also catalyse other countries to leave.

Good luck to to the EU - should have given Call Me Dave meaningful concessions if you wanted to stop us leaving.

After March 29th, we'll be able to watch the slowly developing fuster cluck from the sidelines, secure in the knowledge we've insulated ourselves from a significant part of the pain.

Wordsmith
again no Problems, rescind Lisbon, disband the commission and the EP. If the referendum had those two proposals I wouldn't have a problem. Question does anyone on here trust the EU. Not like, favour TRUST.

I've no idea what you're talking about. But that makes two of I suspect. I was talking about boxheads turning to the AfD
You were talking about an optimal deal. Have you truly thought about what an optimal deal for the EU would be? Think you're getting more like manofmanynames with each passing day.

Autobluff is no way to go through life, Boris, Davis, Fox, Farage and Hannan have been shown to be empty vessels.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
When even the French are sticking the boot in.
That would have been Farage, Davis, Johnson, where’s Johnson?

I suspect Rees Mogg would have bailed out too, until he realised he’s the only one still around.

Macron: "Brexit is the choice of the British people... pushed by those who predicted easy solutions... Those people are liars. They left the next day so they didn’t have to manage it."

Oof. .

#SalzburgSummit18 #eu2018at

You were talking about an optimal deal. Have you truly thought about what an optimal deal for the EU would be? Think you're getting more like manofmanynames with each passing day.

Autobluff is no way to go through life, Boris, Davis, Fox, Farage and Hannan have been shown to be empty vessels.
Er, no.

i was talking about the boxheads turning to the AfD.

you are correct. Autobluff is no way to get through life.

Last edited:
again no Problems, rescind Lisbon, disband the commission and the EP. If the referendum had those two proposals I wouldn't have a problem. Question does anyone on here trust the EU. Not like, favour TRUST.
No, I don't trust them.

they'll do what they need to do to survive/go to where they want to.

including shafting members and ex-members or ignoring negotiations promises...

PLC listed on the New York Stock Exchange and not really a single company as you may well know - lots of operating companies, but the plc is NY listed.

bad example I'm afraid
Top investor says leaving the FTSE 100 index could lead to forced selling of stock

One of Unilever’s biggest shareholders has warned of the forced selling of the consumer group’s shares as unrest grows among British investors over the decision to move its headquarters to the Netherlands. Unilever has embarked on a charm offensive among its UK shareholders, which have been alarmed by the likely ejection of the company from the FTSE 100 index that many use as a benchmark. The company has attempted to woo investors through a series of meetings ahead of a crucial vote on abandoning the company’s 89-year-old Anglo-Dutch structure.

6 months to go but it's not too early to say "I told you so"... This utter stupidity is leading to a NO DEAL...and that's great! I want the mongs to soak up the reality that wipes out their delusion. Can't wait...

When even the French are sticking the boot in.
That would have been Farage, Davis, Johnson, where’s Johnson?

I suspect Rees Mogg would have bailed out too, until he realised he’s the only one still around.

Macron: "Brexit is the choice of the British people... pushed by those who predicted easy solutions... Those people are liars. They left the next day so they didn’t have to manage it."

Oof. .

#SalzburgSummit18 #eu2018at
Well that says it all really, you’ll take the word of a Frenchman

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh dear.

'It will not work' - EU leaders reject Theresa May's Chequers proposal for Brexit
The EU issued an unequivocal rejection of Theresa May's Chequers proposal at summit on Thursday, despite the prime minister's warning that it was the only alternative to 'no deal.'

Donald Tusk, the president of the European Council, said the EU27 all agreed that Mrs May's proposal "will not work."
That doesn't make May look like an idiot in the slightest.

She'd better start dusting down Canada Plus.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Dusting it down? It's yet to be discussed.
The EU has signalled Canada Plus is acceptable to it. So now May has two options: Canada Plus or Hard Brexit.

Canada Plus is also acceptable to the Brexit wing of the Tory party, meaning May can get it through parliament.

Brexit explained: What is a Canada style Brexit trade deal? Will David Davis get his way?
Canada is not obliged under CETA to pay into the EU budget, sign up to such as free movement, or abide by European Court of Justice (ECJ) rulings.
This has been obvious for several months. May is being spectacularly stupid. Politics is the art of the possible, not the impossible.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
May has been spectacularly humiliated by the EU - even Call Me Dave came back with a fig leaf of 'concessions' prior to the Brexit vote.

The EU knows she is in a very weak position at home and at the back of their minds must be the hope that May is forced to resign as PM, the government falls, there is a GE and Brexit is halted.

That is a spectacularly bad misreading of British politics. Under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, there are only two ways a GE can be called:
  • If 2/3 of the house vote for a GE.
  • If the government loses a vote of confidence
Option 1 is a non-starter - the Tories will never support it - they'd lose at this stage of the electoral cycle.
Neither are the Tories likely to lose a vote of confidence as long as the DUP continues to support them. Neither the Tories nor the DUP want to see a Corbyn led, Sinn Fein supporting Labour government in office.

The most likely scenario now is is a last minute May/EU fudge that is not acceptable to Westminster and gets rejected there, leaving no time to negotiate an alternative. As a result the most likely alternative is now a hard Brexit.

Wordsmith

The EU has signalled Canada Plus is acceptable to it. So now May has two options: Canada Plus or Hard Brexit.

Canada Plus is also acceptable to the Brexit wing of the Tory party, meaning May can get it through parliament.

Brexit explained: What is a Canada style Brexit trade deal? Will David Davis get his way?

This has been obvious for several months. May is being spectacularly stupid. Politics is the art of the possible, not the impossible.

Wordsmith
You can't fix stupid as PMTM is finding out.

Her own party & the EU reject Chequers yet she's still sticking to her 'yellow brick road'.

Perhaps seeing Chequers defeated in the parliamentary vote will finally sink in unless she's told to get a grip before hand.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk