Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Back at that point of having to agree to differ.
Maybe so.

you are aware that MEL's were to vote on various points AFTER the referendum...

Former ALDE group MEP Andrew Duff backed Lambsdorff, telling this website, "He's perfectly within his rights as an MEP to hold his opinion. The Cameron deal on 19 February was binding only on his 27 colleagues in the European Council. Implementing the deal will be very complex, very controversial and very long - and not just in the European Parliament."
what couldn't be killed off in the MEP vote would have been gradually eroded over time.

the eu is heading in its direction. You go with it or you leave it.

Senior MEP promises major opposition to Cameron Brexit deal

Maybe so.

you are aware that MEL's were to vote on various points AFTER the referendum...

what couldn't be killed off in the MEP vote would have been gradually eroded over time.

the eu is heading in its direction. You go with it or you leave it.

Senior MEP promises major opposition to Cameron Brexit deal
Brexit would probably have focussed European minds a bit more if the UK had had the referendum first, and Cameron then gone to the EU with his wish list in the eventuality of a vote to leave.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Brexit would probably have focussed European minds a bit more if the UK had had the referendum first, and Cameron then gone to the EU with his wish list in the eventuality of a vote to leave.
That would have required a question that actually did not have us leaving. It would be something like "Should we leave the EU if the PM does not get a suitable response from the EU" That would leave so open to abuse, sorry, interpretation that we would never leave the EU and the EU could throw crumbs at Cameron and withdraw them later.

No, I think the referendum was the correct and only solution to the issue. The referendum was fine, it is the fück ups since then that are causing all the trouble!

Last edited:
Keep your eye on the ball: Brexit: EU leaders 'almost unanimous' in support for second UK referendum - latest news .

Not going well over there eh.... Vote again and again until the idiots get it!

Vote again and again until the idiots get it!
So heartening to see someone so keen on democracy and the will of the people. Just as long as their will coincides with his, of course. I think there's a word for that...

That would have required a question that actually did not have us leabing. It would be something like "Should we leave the EU if the PM does not get a suitable response from the EU" That would leave suitable do open to abuse, sorry, interpretation that we would never leave the EU and the EU could throw crumbs at Cameron and withdraw them later.

No, I think the referendum was the correct and only solution to the issue. The referendum was fine, it is the fück ups since then that are causing all the trouble!
I can see the advantages of either approach but I feel we set about it the right way.

The major issue was David telling folk he expected to win in a 70/30 split. At least one EUropean claims that figure.

Just like we have folk saying we should vote to stay in if the deal is bad... What school of negotiating did they go to?

The biggest feck up was the lack of early and effective planning for No Deal. That is squarely the responsibility of the Govt.

But, in some ways, the opposition have been worse. There wouldn't have been a GE last year, if the opposition had got behind the referendum result. The LibDems have acted against democracy, and they seek to be a mainstream Party. Funny how those opposed to democracy always want the word "democrat" in their title!

The good people of this country have shown more resolve than their elected MPs.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just up on the BBC website: Tusk: May's Brexit plan won't work

Maybe Mrs May might just start realising that her plan is dead, that the EU will not change anything and that real, hard and fast preparations be started now for the hard brexit that had been obvious for some time now.

Having said that, the EU are famous for last minute deals. Maybe this time they have left to too late.

May needs to downgrade the EU negotiating team and strengthen the Brexit team.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The biggest feck up was the lack of early and effective planning for No Deal. That is squarely the responsibility of the Govt.
It also would have strengthened the government's negotiation hand. The EU are clearly rattled by the prospect of a hard Brexit.

Had preparations been put in place from the start so that it was a credible alternative to the EU's terms, I think the EU would have offered more concessions earlier in the negotiation process.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Just up on the BBC website: Tusk: May's Brexit plan won't work

Maybe Mrs May might just start realising that her plan is dead, that the EU will not change anything and that real, hard and fast preparations be started now for the hard brexit that had been obvious for some time now.

Having said that, the EU are famous for last minute deals. Maybe this time they have left to too late.
Both sides are banking on the other backing down at the last minute.

I think a dapper gentleman in a purple cape and wearing 'essence of sulphur' aftershave has been carrying out shuttle diplomacy between the two teams of negotiators.

This could prove to be an EM masterpiece.

Wordsmith