• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

I suspect they feel like a condemned man crossing off the days to his execution on the calendar in this cell.

But they're in a minority. If you ignore the froth in the media, the bulk of the country seem to have accepted we are leaving the EU and are getting on with their lives accordingly.

If the concern about leaving the EU was deep seated, I would expect regular demonstrations by hundreds of thousands of protesters in all the major cities. The more extreme of the remain camp are clearly motivated enough to try to organise such demonstrations. Their absence suggests that the great majority of the population are not concerned enough to go out and march in support of us remaining in the EU.

Wordsmith
Lets hope they get a nice breakfast on the day, then. "You can have anything you like, as long as it's sausages!" :)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
You meet the standards of the market you’re selling into.

Is this a rehash of the chlorinated chicken claim ignoring that all EU fruit and veg is currently washed in chlorinated water.

You’ll be howling at the moon next blaming fluoridation of water
I only put it up. I can’t do anything else, I think the answer would be, no it’s not.

Some areas do fluoridate others don’t. Again what’s your point. I’m sure NI doesn’t. Parts of England afaik do.

Oh, and one other thing, I expect the EU will interfere a lot in this contest to try and position their man for the job!
Juncker will be free after he steps down from the EC next year!!

One hears what one wants to. Students are leaving uni with crap degrees and huge debts. But it was the point regarding Brexiteers being classed as uneducated and looked down on that you should listen to. Without going back i think he said academia were getting EU grants and that is so, again it is more about his point which is along the lines of he who pays the piper.

As I said, one only hears what one wants!

You were the one who made the "nothing will" comment which is a tad patronising to say the least so just to return the complement, I think you have proven that in the field of changing one's mind you too are in the "nothing will" camp!
Much better to go down the apprenticeship route these days - subject for another thread though.

I suspect they feel like a condemned man crossing off the days to his execution on the calendar in this cell.

But they're in a minority. If you ignore the froth in the media, the bulk of the country seem to have accepted we are leaving the EU and are getting on with their lives accordingly.

If the concern about leaving the EU was deep seated, I would expect regular demonstrations by hundreds of thousands of protesters in all the major cities. The more extreme of the remain camp are clearly motivated enough to try to organise such demonstrations. Their absence suggests that the great majority of the population are not concerned enough to go out and march in support of us remaining in the EU.

Wordsmith
most remaINers are mere useful idiots. Others are lining their nests.

One of each... Tony Blair, Nick Clegg and John Major meet EU leaders in bid to thwart Brexit

Is this a rehash of the chlorinated chicken claim ignoring that all EU fruit and veg is currently washed in chlorinated water.

Do you just sit there and make things up?
If ALL fruit and veg in the EU is currently washed in chlorinated water, then how come at least 5 EU countries ban the use of chlorinated water to wash them? Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium and probably others.
And it's not as if you've just missed it because it's been banned in those countries for well over five years.
Spain has used a different, non-chlorinated, method of washing soft fruits for at least 3 years.
And chlorine washed meat products have been banned in the EU since 1997.
Then again, you do have a habit of repeating what some bloke up the pub told you.

it's a debt.

That they must pay interest on.

so if they are not paying off as much as they can, when they can they are being a little bit silly.
If they earn enough they pay it off, plus interest. If you don't they don't. Either way, anything not paid back is written off after 30 years.
Edited to add...
I went to university in the days of grants. But if I'd had loans, I will never earn enough to start paying it back. So it would have been hanging over me "in pencil" for 30 years, but never as an onerous thing, as I'd know it will disappear eventually.

Any company with shareholders will find it very difficult to pull out of the U.K. as was recently illustrated by a FTSE100 (I can’t remember which ones) that wanted to relocate it’s HQ to Europe (not Brexit related by the way).
Unilever.

Of course we won't be signing away our sovereignty if we withdraw A50, just remaining under the status quo of the last 40 years. Then set up a government dept specifically to produce a plan. Surely even if it takes 10 years, a properly planned withdrawal is better than dropping into an abyss that even the proponents agree is costly, and opponents think is worse than that.
I would have no problem with that provided we rescinded Lisbon at the same time and reverted to Maastricht

If they earn enough they pay it off, plus interest. If you don't they don't. Either way, anything not paid back is written off after 30 years.
Edited to add...
I went to university in the days of grants. But if I'd had loans, I will never earn enough to start paying it back. So it would have been hanging over me "in pencil" for 30 years, but never as an onerous thing, as I'd know it will disappear eventually.
Which is a bit counter intuitive don't you think. If the concept of a higher education is to earn more and the money is borrowed, and people stick to jobs below the threshold, they ain't helping their pension pot either. No wonder we have shortages and gluts in the wrong places. Now my son used the education system the right way, learnt about life, saved money, paid for himself and now does what he wants which is working in mental health.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
most remaINers are mere useful idiots. Others are lining their nests.

One of each... Tony Blair, Nick Clegg and John Major meet EU leaders in bid to thwart Brexit
Thwart Brexit. How on earth can anyone ‘thwart’ anything when, the people in favour of it, haven’t the first clue what it is they are doing, what they want or what the point of it all is.

Brexiters want sovereignty, of what, we never lost sovereignty.
Brexiters want control of their borders, yet can’t tell the difference between a coastline and a border. They don’t know what to do with a border either.

I’m beginning to think that there’s something wrong with seriously true believer Brexiters.

They’ve finally found a cause, something to believe in. They’ve invested so much time attempting to defend what’s turned into the indefensible, they refuse to see what’s happening right in front of them.

I’m still waiting to see what the Brexit equivalent of the Volkssturm is going to look like.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I would have no problem with that provided we rescinded Lisbon at the same time and reverted to Maastricht
I would expect the European Commission to start pushing for a successor to the Lisbon treaty shortly after Brexit. As I've often posted, that treaty (which will transfer a lot of power to the European Commission) is required to stop the euro collapsing in the next recession. As such, I suspect it will be pushed with considerable urgency - it would be politically impossible to start that process while the Brexit negotiations are ongoing.

I also expect point blank refusal for the new treaty from the likes of Italy, Greece, Poland, Hungary and so on, leaving the EU politically deadlocked and dreading the arrival of the next recession.

Wordsmith

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Breaking: Irish source says Theresa May indicated during this morning's bilateral meeting with Leo Varadkar that she does not believe it is possible that a deal on the Irish backstop can be reached in time for the October European Council. [thread]

If all they have is 'Chlorinated chicken', they have nothing else in the tank.
Still, what's not to like about having Tony Blair and Soros on your side.