• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

May might just find her bluff gets called.

Britain is willing to walk away without a deal, Theresa May warns EU leaders in Salzburg

May might have carried more conviction had serious preparation been made for the possibility of a hard Brexit as soon as Article 50 been triggered. Instead, preparations started late and have not been comprehensive.

May needs major concession to get Chequers through parliament, and I suspect all the EU is going to offer is cosmetic ones.

Chequers deal will need to be 'reworked', says Donald Tusk ahead of key Brexit summit

As such, I suspect the last minute fudge that will be cobbled together will promptly get rejected by Westminster.
  • Substantial numbers of Tory MP's will abstain.
  • The opposition parties will unite to force a major defeat on May in an attempt to get her to resign. They will then call for a GE to try and force the Tories out of office.
The parliamentary arithmetic is very heavily stacked against May and the EU has shown no signs of recognizing May's problems - preferring to try and get her to buckle under the strain and sign away the UK's sovereignty.

Wordsmith
Of course we won't be signing away our sovereignty if we withdraw A50, just remaining under the status quo of the last 40 years. Then set up a government dept specifically to produce a plan. Surely even if it takes 10 years, a properly planned withdrawal is better than dropping into an abyss that even the proponents agree is costly, and opponents think is worse than that.

Every time I've taken a loan I always considered it a debt. I still have a mortgage loan on my house (10 years to go); so rather than consider this a debt, should I consider this a bank tax?

I've heard and understood why Martin Lewis doesn't like it called student debt (he doesn't want working class kids being put off from going to university), but isn't it all a bit hair-splitting for the purposes of this post?
No. A mortgage is a debt. A student loan isn't. Certainly not hair splitting. Would your bank return your mortgage payments for last year if your pay was less than you had expected? No. I know it's counterintuitive as it's called a loan, but that's the fact.

That's you, that is.

Wordsmith
Said the man who uses ignore to hide from the bad men but admits to peeking out from behind the couch.

But didn’t the remain campaign say that Ryan Air would be cutting back after brexit?
No, they said that they'd keep operating by moving stuff to the EU if needed.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Of course we won't be signing away our sovereignty if we withdraw A50, just remaining under the status quo of the last 40 years. Then set up a government dept specifically to produce a plan. Surely even if it takes 10 years, a properly planned withdrawal is better than dropping into an abyss that even the proponents agree is costly, and opponents think is worse than that.
You are ignoring the political firestorm that will result if May says to the country "we are withdrawing Article 50 and will not be leaving the EU for at least 10 years".

I can't think of a surer way for the Tories to lose the next election.

In addition, we are unlikely to drop into an abyss on leaving. You need to make a realistic analysis of what will happen after Brexit, not take the more hysterical pronouncements from remain supporting politicians, businessmen and newspapers as gospel.

Wordsmith

How is he going to push the immigration issue ? Would that not make him a bit of a Judas? “If your names not down, your not coming in” unless you hold formal qualifications, then we’re happy to brain drain any intellectuals from any developing countries as long as it fits our needs.
It was quoted 'Times' this week that Indians in the UK contribute about 4.5 billion to our economy whiles others (excluding EU immigrants) cost us 9 billion in various costs.

The pain is strong in the remain camp this morning:cool:

No, they said that they'd keep operating by moving stuff to the EU if needed.
But that wasn’t what was reported.

A bit like BMW, Airbus, Bernard Matthews Turkey steaks et al would all move.

So in fact, what we have is a company that will continue to do business.

Are the Irish still stopping overflight rights?

Because budget will be in fashion?
Budget has been in fashion for some time.

I notice that the Huffington post is putting Tesco’s new Jacks budget supermarket down as a result of brexit. Completely ignoring tha Tesco is getting humped by Aldi and Lidl who operate with a different business model.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The pain is strong in the remain camp this morning:cool:
I suspect they feel like a condemned man crossing off the days to his execution on the calendar in this cell.

But they're in a minority. If you ignore the froth in the media, the bulk of the country seem to have accepted we are leaving the EU and are getting on with their lives accordingly.

If the concern about leaving the EU was deep seated, I would expect regular demonstrations by hundreds of thousands of protesters in all the major cities. The more extreme of the remain camp are clearly motivated enough to try to organise such demonstrations. Their absence suggests that the great majority of the population are not concerned enough to go out and march in support of us remaining in the EU.

Wordsmith

Do you write the signs for the veg shops on your days off?
Sorry, do you write the sign's for the veg shop's on your day's off?
Apostrophes: the difference between knowing your sh!t . . . and knowing you're sh!t. :)

you mean stay in the eu.

All the whole remaINers trying to subvert the referendum result.

until we don't leave.

two years are up on 29 mar 19. And we'll be free from the EU.