• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Meanwhile.

US hits China with biggest tariffs yet

I actually think Trump is right in this. China has been using unfair trading practices for years to drive western manufacturers out of business. And the profit form those exports is driving an expansion in the Chinese military which is now flexing its muscles. Cripple China's unfairly subsidied exports with tariffs and you also cripple its military. Win/win.

However the EU is now going to have a big problem. As Chinese exports to the US dry up, it'll increase the subsidies for its exports going to the EU (and UK) to increase its market share there to compensate. The EU is now going to have to decide on whether to closely monitor Chinese imports and increase tariffs if they spot unfair trading practices.

That presents the EU with a dilemma. don't put up tariffs and EU manufacturers will be driven out of business. Put up tariffs and consumers will start complaining of increased prices. There are no right answers for this - so the EU is going to have to take some tough decisions. And take the flak for taking them.

Wordsmith
A company two units down from nine used
Yes indeed I have!

When this thread, and indeed its predecessors, started I thought the Remainers were advocates of democracy and would, while not happy at losing, get right behind the UK efforts to scrape the Borg off our backs. My mind is now completely changed as I now know that Remainers are just bitter twisted sore losers who are trying to overturn the democratic voice of the people! ;)

Apart from that, not really! :eek:
That’s not correct. You seem to trying to blame those who voted to stay for this chaos ?

Bottom line is you and the rest of the Brexit gang voted for this not us. If it’s a load of rat shit then you better start pointing the finger at those who are supposed to be implementing your wishes for being a bag of shite.

This is what you voted for, deal with it.

As i've said before, my money is on Sajid Javid. He's moved quietly from the remain to the Brexit camp, has shown he's not been afraid to junk May's more ridiculous policies from her time as Home Secretary, moves quickly to address any current blunders in the Home Office, has keep largely out of the May v Brexiteer fights and has gradually grown into the job as a senior minister. Finally, he's got a lot of practical business experience and has been making it quietly clear he wants the top job.

Wordsmith
How is he going to push the immigration issue ? Would that not make him a bit of a Judas? “If your names not down, your not coming in” unless you hold formal qualifications, then we’re happy to brain drain any intellectuals from any developing countries as long as it fits our needs.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well if Pat Condell doesn't make you a remainer, nothing will. Very rarely do you find someone who makes so much noise about being never right.
Well, he might have been towards the extreme element of Brexit, but if you could point out anything that he says wrong then I would be grateful, as i agree with most of his Brexit points. I suppose that puts me in the "nothing will" camp, but I am quite happy with that!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

That’s not correct. You seem to trying to blame those who voted to stay for this chaos ?

Bottom line is you and the rest of the Brexit gang voted for this not us. If it’s a load of rat shit then you better start pointing the finger at those who are supposed to be implementing your wishes for being a bag of shite.

I voted to get away from the rat shit, as you put it, and we can see the real rats who are trying to overcome a democratic vote.

I don't disagree that Brexit to date has been a bag of shite but in if the government did not have to spend most of their time fighting people picking at the referendum vote and trying to get it overturned and if the government had been able to concentrate on the EU negotiators we might just be a lot further down the line.

History will show the Remainers for the venal mendacious group of people that they are!

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

We voted for it but you and your ilk haven't stopped whining and trying to fight it since the result.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
How is he going to push the immigration issue ? Would that not make him a bit of a Judas? “If your names not down, your not coming in” unless you hold formal qualifications, then we’re happy to brain drain any intellectuals from any developing countries as long as it fits our needs.
We have enough of our own non working layabouts to contend with without importing more, surely even you can see that.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just popped up in the Telegraph. Looks like a leak from the ERG intended to weaken May.

Leaked Tory dossier reveals secret plan to replace Theresa May in April and ranks her possible successors

There's no way that she's going to be removed before the Brexit date. As well as the timeline problems I've flagged earlier, the Remain wing will oppose such a move - they have no desire to see May replaced by a party leader more committed to Brexit. And if the leadership challenge fails, it can't be repeated for a year, which might take PMTM too close to May 2022 to replace.

But the dynamics change after Brexit. Then both the Brexit and Remain wings have a desire to see her out. They know with her at the helm, they lose the 2022 GE. So they'll combine to get her out. Then the Brexit and Remain wings of the party will fight it out to get their leader of choice installed.

May must continually be looking up at the Sword of Damocles hanging over her. It's an entirely self inflicted wound - had she been a more effective leader, there would not be speculation about leadership challenges swirling around her.

Wordsmith
Once May is out, and it could happen in the first quarter of next year as it would be too late to change much, then the leadership contest will split into Remain and Brexit. I suspect there will be an initial RvB contest in round one, then a reasonably neutral person, acceptable to both factions will emerge. I doubt it is anyone currently on the horizon.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Oh, and one other thing, I expect the EU will interfere a lot in this contest to try and position their man for the job!

Well, he might have been towards the extreme element of Brexit, but if you could point out anything that he says wrong then I would be grateful, as i agree with most of his Brexit points. I suppose that puts me in the "nothing will" camp, but I am quite happy with that!
So I took up the challenge.

Hopefully the first paragraph is NOT something you agree with. You aren’t supposed to. If you do, do are pulling yourself down.

Students loaded with debt? Rubbish, they have a deferred graduate tax.
Were we likely to give up making our own laws. No.
My daughter is a teacher. Has she had grants from the EU/ No. Does she know any fellow teachers who have? No.
Conned out of a birthright? What does that even mean?
I than got bored with his stream of consciousness twaddle, but I was a bit shocked towards the end where he talked about wanting a free and healthy society, when any call for democracy to have a place in a final deal is so roundly shouted down without consideration of its sensibility.

I voted to get away from the rat shit, as you put it, and we can see the real rats who are trying to overcome a democratic vote.

I don't disagree that Brexit to date has been a bag of shite but in if the government did not have to spend most of their time fighting people picking at the referendum vote and trying to get it overturned and if the government had been able to concentrate on the EU negotiators we might just be a lot further down the line.

History will show the Remainers for the venal mendacious group of people that they are!
Seems to me you have just substituted one bag of rat shit for an even bigger bag of rat shit. Brexit - Proving that in an uncertain world **** all changes. Apart from the rise in politicians expenses

We voted for it but you and your ilk haven't stopped whining and trying to fight it since the result.
I’ve never said any such thing ? Ive only ever pointed out what a load of shite Brexit is. Fact is you have voted for an absolute cluster, because you actually thought that a bunch of politicians would actually do their job. I voted to stay because not for one second did I have any faith in those who banged the drum very loud to leave. I’m sorry to say I’ve been correct all along. Muppets the lot of them.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So I took up the challenge.

Hopefully the first paragraph is NOT something you agree with. You aren’t supposed to. If you do, do are pulling yourself down.

Students loaded with debt? Rubbish, they have a deferred graduate tax.
Were we likely to give up making our own laws. No.
My daughter is a teacher. Has she had grants from the EU/ No. Does she know any fellow teachers who have? No.
Conned out of a birthright? What does that even mean?
I than got bored with his stream of consciousness twaddle, but I was a bit shocked towards the end where he talked about wanting a free and healthy society, when any call for democracy to have a place in a final deal is so roundly shouted down without consideration of its sensibility.
One hears what one wants to. Students are leaving uni with crap degrees and huge debts. But it was the point regarding Brexiteers being classed as uneducated and looked down on that you should listen to. Without going back i think he said academia were getting EU grants and that is so, again it is more about his point which is along the lines of he who pays the piper.

As I said, one only hears what one wants!

You were the one who made the "nothing will" comment which is a tad patronising to say the least so just to return the complement, I think you have proven that in the field of changing one's mind you too are in the "nothing will" camp!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I’ve never said any such thing ? Ive only ever pointed out what a load of shite Brexit is. Fact is you have voted for an absolute cluster, because you actually thought that a bunch of politicians would actually do their job. I voted to stay because not for one second did I have any faith in those who banged the drum very loud to leave. I’m sorry to say I’ve been correct all along. Muppets the lot of them.
Do you actually read and understand what you post?

That post of yours is one big oxymoron!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
That's what comes of having a spineless Remainer for PM. It could've been better if it wasn't for the Remain camp fighting to stay and thwarting every move forward. On the day of the result, Remain started with the Project Fear predictions which hardly sets the ground for any successful plan to leave.

Could you get some older news respun in your tell it with shit pictures style please? They woud say that wouldn't they?

Meeting with British members of the European Parliament, Honda representatives explained that the government’s plan to leave the union could hurt their profits so substantially that it would be forced to leave the UK.

Honda Warns Brexit Could Force it Out of the UK

Recap... what will brexit do?

Satisfy racist bigots- no
Improve the economy - no
Bring back control - no

Why are we leaving again?

One hears what one wants to. Students are leaving uni with crap degrees and huge debts. But it was the point regarding Brexiteers being classed as uneducated and looked down on that you should listen to. Without going back i think he said academia were getting EU grants and that is so, again it is more about his point which is along the lines of he who pays the piper.

As I said, one only hears what one wants!

You were the one who made the "nothing will" comment which is a tad patronising to say the least so just to return the complement, I think you have proven that in the field of changing one's mind you too are in the "nothing will" camp!
As ever, fair points. I am almost certainly in the other "never will" camp, despite some frustrations with the EU.

Just to follow up the "student debt" bit though (and off thread). Both my kids did Uni at £9k pa. My daughter has only just started paying back as her wage has met the threshold, and it isn't a lot. The Student loan didn't could against her ability to get a mortgage, as finance institutions don't look at it as debt.
My son had a great job at the start of last year, and was paid handsomely. Sadly after about 6 months he lost that, and went to a lower paid job. He has now had both a Tax rebate, and a repayment of the Student Loan repayments; again, they are considered by Govt as a tax rather than debt.

That's what comes of having a spineless Remainer for PM. It could've been better if it wasn't for the Remain camp fighting to stay and thwarting every move forward. On the day of the result, Remain started with the Project Fear predictions which hardly sets the ground for any successful plan to leave.
Do you mean the ones which are coming true?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer