Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
you are pretty weak aren't you. That's a fact. Which remainer stereotype fits you best? A. or B.
I don't see Higgsy as option B, Holly is a piece of eyecandy, whereas Higgsy is more an eyesore. I'd go with option A as he repeatedly bleated that the result had cost him 20% of his Rachman empire.

I don't see Higgsy as option B, Holly is a piece of eyecandy, whereas Higgsy is more an eyesore. I'd go with option A as he repeatedly bleated that the result had cost him 20% of his Rachman empire.

What about this strange character? She thinks the leave voters were all from 'regional areas' which are more right wing than London.

I wouldn't be too worried about his 20%, apparently he swiftly regained it... so he's a little quick of the mark when it comes to panic.

Not at all however, the EU may being trying to make it that way. The question is how much, if any, leverage the EU may have over the WTO, which btw Trump's USA appears to be walking away from. I am not predicting, or willing, this to occur, but it may make some pause for thought when the stock answer to any Brexit obstacles is 'we'll go with WTO rules'.
If America were to walk away, it would no longer be the WTO, in fact the chances are it would cease to be, so would it's rules such s they are. Yes it's a fundamental problem bearing in mind that the Nations in the EU and the EU dually are represented. The problem is that since tariffs are essentially protectionism and the EU is of that ilk, the concept of free trade would take a hit. That is why we're leaving the EU, not least because the Last Labour Government were in fact in cahoots with EU thinking. In reality I don't think that the US is the problem in this, I think the Chinese are long term

If America were to walk away, it would no longer be the WTO, in fact the chances are it would cease to be, so would it's rules such s they are. Yes it's a fundamental problem bearing in mind that the Nations in the EU and the EU dually are represented. The problem is that since tariffs are essentially protectionism and the EU is of that ilk, the concept of free trade would take a hit. That is why we're leaving the EU, not least because the Last Labour Government were in fact in cahoots with EU thinking. In reality I don't think that the US is the problem in this, I think the Chinese are long term
'If America were to walk away, it would no longer be the WTO' - like a reverse baseball World Series then.;)

Possible angle -

'Since August 2017, the U.S. has blocked nominees to the WTO’s appellate body saying it has overstepped its mandate. If the U.S. continues its hold, the body will be paralyzed in late 2019 because it won’t have the three panelists required to sign off on rulings.' Bloomberg, 13 July 2018

Again total and utter B's. When will people learn, the risk is not at the borders, the attempts will not be made at borders but inside the countries-where Schengen are supposed to be joined up. This has always been a risk of "Free movement" Does it matter if the perpetrator has a piece of paper in their passport-does an EU national pose less risk? Any fule know that a determined attempt will be carried out- the issue , having dismanteled border controls is that the Police pick up the tab, are they prepared? Issuing Guns and lots of photogenic opportunities are a big con.

'If America were to walk away, it would no longer be the WTO' - like a reverse baseball World Series then.;)

Possible angle -

'Since August 2017, the U.S. has blocked nominees to the WTO’s appellate body saying it has overstepped its mandate. If the U.S. continues its hold, the body will be paralyzed in late 2019 because it won’t have the three panelists required to sign off on rulings.'

Terms of Service Violation
Both the Trump and Obama administrations have criticized the appeals body for making unnecessary findings or issuing advisory opinions that exceed the mandate of WTO dispute settlement rules. The commission said WTO rules should be clarified to ensure that appellate body members do not seek to interpret the meaning of national regulations -- another U.S. complaint.

And there's yer answer, if it is acting ultra vires, what would the demand for the ECJ to be the controlling factor be?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not too many more than we have to now and all because the EU aren't ready!
Will we see another EU cave in?
"The claims come in a confidential memo sent by the Airports Council International - the EU airport lobby to Michel Barnier, Brussels' chief Brexit negotiator.

They demand "urgently" that the UK be allowed to stay as part of the "one-stop security" regime, which allows for the current free flow of transferring passengers."

Not too many more than we have to now and all because the EU aren't ready!
Will we see another EU cave in?
"The claims come in a confidential memo sent by the Airports Council International - the EU airport lobby to Michel Barnier, Brussels' chief Brexit negotiator.

They demand "urgently" that the UK be allowed to stay as part of the "one-stop security" regime, which allows for the current free flow of transferring passengers."
Thanks, but I had read it.