Brexit Phase Two - Trade

It will be seconded staff from the 27 MS, but especially from France, Germany, Italy and Spain. Re. the border in NI, you are quite right. The UK will not impose hard border. The Irish won't either, but the EU might well seek to do so on their behalf.
And herein lies the problem.

The U.K. has said their will be no hard border. The EU has told Eire that there will be no border (note that Eire is no longer able to make any decisions about its border)

Meanwhile @Graculus maintains that with both sides and the Irish not wanting a border, they’ll have to be a border because of some reason which he can’t quiye explain.

What role did the Europe have in the GFA?

I seem to remember Adams and McGuiness pleading with David Ervine to bring the UVF prisoners on board as they had no wish to leave jail before a promise of the principal of concent regarding remaining apart of the UK.

I also remember Mo Molam having to go speak to the UDA prisoners to bring them on board.

I can't remember seeing anyone from Europe in front of the cameras.

And any money from the EU was our own money sent to Brussels in the first place.
The EU had no involvement what so ever in the GFA.

Blair however was so pro EU, as well as trying to cede sovereignty of Gibraltar to Spain against the wishes of the population of the rock, he stamped EU on the GFA.

To be honest, the GFA hasn’t stopped the troubles in anyway shape or form.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
What role did the Europe have in the GFA?

I seem to remember Adams and McGuiness pleading with David Ervine to bring the UVF prisoners on board as they had no wish to leave jail before a promise of the principal of concent regarding remaining apart of the UK.

I also remember Mo Molam having to go speak to the UDA prisoners to bring them on board.

I can't remember seeing anyone from Europe in front of the cameras.

And any money from the EU was our own money sent to Brussels in the first place.

Next time you bump into George Mitchell ask him how important he thought the Eu was to the GFA.

Your last line’s a bit of an embarrassment.

Next time you bump into George Mitchell ask him how important he thought the Eu was to the GFA.

The hardwork of the GFA was actually conducted by the Conservative government and Chris Hudson acting as an intermediary between the UVF and Dublin.

Peace was coming whether it was Blair in power or someone else. At no stage did the EU have a role in bringing Loyalists to the table.

Ta.
Can’t give likes. So basically all the hysteria comes from those who haven’t read it.
You've already had the answer. The wheels started falling off the Brexit bus in June 2017.

All you have to do now is watch the bickering, finger-pointing and on-coming crash.
The tick tock of time will tell.

Following the apparently partial* findings by the Electoral Commission on Vote Leave, the High Court has found that the Electoral Commission issued incorrect advice to Leave campaigners during the referendum. This goes beyond Brexit as the EC cannot be relied upon to be impartial. The make up of their ranks seemed rather suspicious at the time. Expect this to develop further or will it be swept under yet another carpet?

High Court Finds Electoral Commission Unfit For Purpose -

Full Text of Electoral Commission's High Court Defeat -

*Vote Leave were fined despite acting in accordance with what they believed to be acceptable. Various people were not interviewed despite having important evidence. Remain overspending was not investigated.

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The hardwork of the GFA was actually conducted by the Conservative government and Chris Hudson acting as an intermediary between the UVF and Dublin.

Peace was coming whether it was Blair in power or someone else. At no stage did the EU have a role in bringing Loyalists to the table.

The Europeans were involved in the peace building process since the 70s.
There’s a whole story there if you’d care to look.

Nobody mentioned loyalists. Tbh in the great scheme of things the loyalists weren’t really that important. Keep them locked up,and if the rest of them caused any trouble lock them up too.
They would go along with what ever deal they were offered.
Get out of jail?
Stay in jail ?
Which way do you think they formed the orderly queue.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Brexiters dream to get rid of May answered............By Labour.
Thornberry says that Labour will probably vote against Brexit.
That’s going to be interesting.

The Europeans were involved in the peace building process since the 70s.
Not very successful then were they? How many died in the Troubles since the 1970s?

But I have been involved in the peace process since the very late 1980s too, btw. I've written a book called 'The Peace Process and My Part in it".

It's quite self-aggrandising in just the same way the pro-EU sources that I've googled say that the EU is responsible for peace in NI.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Not very successful then were they? How many died in the Troubles since the 1970s?

But I have been involved in the peace process since the very late 1980s too, btw. I've written a book called 'The Peace Process and My Part in it".

It's quite self-aggrandising in just the same way the pro-EU sources that I've googled say that the EU is responsible for peace in NI.
Thank you for your service.

It's also, I understand, the not insignificant factor that shared EU membership glosses over the 'identity' drama, thus allowing the border to essentially disappear from view in day to day life.

Latest Threads