Brexit Phase Two - Trade

Damn these ROPs. I can't seem to see all these posts about trade and negotiating victories.
Nor anything about the great march forward out of the Eu. leaving them in a shambles and ruined by our exit.
And the leadership from, Theresa, 'I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman' May .

I look forward to catching up when my sentence is finally lifted.
Lifted straight out of Elizabeth 1’s speech in Tilbury in 1588. Let’s see skid,eh

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Damn these ROPs. I can't seem to see all these posts about trade and negotiating victories.
Nor anything about the great march forward out of the Eu. leaving them in a shambles and ruined by our exit.
And the leadership from, Theresa, 'I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman' May .

I look forward to catching up when my sentence is finally lifted.
I'm quite sure that you mean "scheming, manipulative, back stabbing bitch"

Just watching the rubbish about Ireland and the Irish border. Correct me if I’m wrong but the last time there was major tampering with borders in Europe and a land grab, we declared war on Germany.

Round 3 anyone?

Just watching the rubbish about Ireland and the Irish border. Correct me if I’m wrong but the last time there was major tampering with borders in Europe and a land grab, we declared war on Germany.

Round 3 anyone?
Try Crimea and Ukraine.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Just popped up in the Telegraph. Looks like a leak from the ERG intended to weaken May.

Leaked Tory dossier reveals secret plan to replace Theresa May in April and ranks her possible successors
An explosive internal memo suggesting Theresa May will be forced to “stand down soon after March 2019” and detailing the pros and cons of her potential successors has been leaked to The Telegraph.
There's no way that she's going to be removed before the Brexit date. As well as the timeline problems I've flagged earlier, the Remain wing will oppose such a move - they have no desire to see May replaced by a party leader more committed to Brexit. And if the leadership challenge fails, it can't be repeated for a year, which might take PMTM too close to May 2022 to replace.

But the dynamics change after Brexit. Then both the Brexit and Remain wings have a desire to see her out. They know with her at the helm, they lose the 2022 GE. So they'll combine to get her out. Then the Brexit and Remain wings of the party will fight it out to get their leader of choice installed.

May must continually be looking up at the Sword of Damocles hanging over her. It's an entirely self inflicted wound - had she been a more effective leader, there would not be speculation about leadership challenges swirling around her.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And more from the Telegraph.

Theresa May’s Chequers deal is 'dead as a dodo', says MP who helped get her into Number 10
One of Theresa May’s most loyal allies has said her Chequers plan is “dead as a dodo” as he accused the Prime Minister of trying to “blackmail” her own MPs into supporting it. Former minister Sir Mike Penning, who helped to orchestrate her 2016 leadership campaign, said Mrs May was “deluded” if she thought she could persuade Tory Eurosceptics to vote in favour of any Brexit deal based on Chequers.
May needs to remember that there are many in the Tory party (not all within the ERG) who think Chequers is bad for the UK. They are perfectly happy for May to continue going up a blind alley and for the UK to exit the EU in a hard Brexit in March next year. Under a new leader and with the consequences of a hard Brexit apparent in the EU as well as the UK, they believe a new leader would be able to negotiate a better deal than May's efforts.

That might not work out too badly for the Tories. Assume a year to negotiate a new deal. That would still be two years before the 2022 GE - and a major plank in their GE campaign.

Wordsmith

Meanwhile.

US hits China with biggest tariffs yet

I actually think Trump is right in this. China has been using unfair trading practices for years to drive western manufacturers out of business. And the profit form those exports is driving an expansion in the Chinese military which is now flexing its muscles. Cripple China's unfairly subsidied exports with tariffs and you also cripple its military. Win/win.

However the EU is now going to have a big problem. As Chinese exports to the US dry up, it'll increase the subsidies for its exports going to the EU (and UK) to increase its market share there to compensate. The EU is now going to have to decide on whether to closely monitor Chinese imports and increase tariffs if they spot unfair trading practices.

That presents the EU with a dilemma. don't put up tariffs and EU manufacturers will be driven out of business. Put up tariffs and consumers will start complaining of increased prices. There are no right answers for this - so the EU is going to have to take some tough decisions. And take the flak for taking them.

Wordsmith
A company two units down from nine used
Yes indeed I have!

When this thread, and indeed its predecessors, started I thought the Remainers were advocates of democracy and would, while not happy at losing, get right behind the UK efforts to scrape the Borg off our backs. My mind is now completely changed as I now know that Remainers are just bitter twisted sore losers who are trying to overturn the democratic voice of the people! ;)

Apart from that, not really! :eek:
That’s not correct. You seem to trying to blame those who voted to stay for this chaos ?

Bottom line is you and the rest of the Brexit gang voted for this not us. If it’s a load of rat shit then you better start pointing the finger at those who are supposed to be implementing your wishes for being a bag of shite.

This is what you voted for, deal with it.

As i've said before, my money is on Sajid Javid. He's moved quietly from the remain to the Brexit camp, has shown he's not been afraid to junk May's more ridiculous policies from her time as Home Secretary, moves quickly to address any current blunders in the Home Office, has keep largely out of the May v Brexiteer fights and has gradually grown into the job as a senior minister. Finally, he's got a lot of practical business experience and has been making it quietly clear he wants the top job.

Wordsmith
How is he going to push the immigration issue ? Would that not make him a bit of a Judas? “If your names not down, your not coming in” unless you hold formal qualifications, then we’re happy to brain drain any intellectuals from any developing countries as long as it fits our needs.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well if Pat Condell doesn't make you a remainer, nothing will. Very rarely do you find someone who makes so much noise about being never right.
Well, he might have been towards the extreme element of Brexit, but if you could point out anything that he says wrong then I would be grateful, as i agree with most of his Brexit points. I suppose that puts me in the "nothing will" camp, but I am quite happy with that!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

That’s not correct. You seem to trying to blame those who voted to stay for this chaos ?

Bottom line is you and the rest of the Brexit gang voted for this not us. If it’s a load of rat shit then you better start pointing the finger at those who are supposed to be implementing your wishes for being a bag of shite.

I voted to get away from the rat shit, as you put it, and we can see the real rats who are trying to overcome a democratic vote.

I don't disagree that Brexit to date has been a bag of shite but in if the government did not have to spend most of their time fighting people picking at the referendum vote and trying to get it overturned and if the government had been able to concentrate on the EU negotiators we might just be a lot further down the line.

History will show the Remainers for the venal mendacious group of people that they are!

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

We voted for it but you and your ilk haven't stopped whining and trying to fight it since the result.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
How is he going to push the immigration issue ? Would that not make him a bit of a Judas? “If your names not down, your not coming in” unless you hold formal qualifications, then we’re happy to brain drain any intellectuals from any developing countries as long as it fits our needs.
We have enough of our own non working layabouts to contend with without importing more, surely even you can see that.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just popped up in the Telegraph. Looks like a leak from the ERG intended to weaken May.

Leaked Tory dossier reveals secret plan to replace Theresa May in April and ranks her possible successors

There's no way that she's going to be removed before the Brexit date. As well as the timeline problems I've flagged earlier, the Remain wing will oppose such a move - they have no desire to see May replaced by a party leader more committed to Brexit. And if the leadership challenge fails, it can't be repeated for a year, which might take PMTM too close to May 2022 to replace.

But the dynamics change after Brexit. Then both the Brexit and Remain wings have a desire to see her out. They know with her at the helm, they lose the 2022 GE. So they'll combine to get her out. Then the Brexit and Remain wings of the party will fight it out to get their leader of choice installed.

May must continually be looking up at the Sword of Damocles hanging over her. It's an entirely self inflicted wound - had she been a more effective leader, there would not be speculation about leadership challenges swirling around her.

Wordsmith
Once May is out, and it could happen in the first quarter of next year as it would be too late to change much, then the leadership contest will split into Remain and Brexit. I suspect there will be an initial RvB contest in round one, then a reasonably neutral person, acceptable to both factions will emerge. I doubt it is anyone currently on the horizon.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Oh, and one other thing, I expect the EU will interfere a lot in this contest to try and position their man for the job!